San Diego Repeals Ban On People Living In Cars

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This needs to happen in more cities and towns. However, it can't be ignored how laws like that were passed in the first place.

Headache said:
This needs to happen in more cities and towns.  However, it can't be ignored how laws like that were passed in the first place.

I think back when the 'no street parking overnight' laws were imposed, was when it was thought people sleeping in vehicles on city streets was a temporary situation. Now, 30 or 40 years later, it only appears this trend is going to increase. San Diego (and other cites that have started "safe parking" areas for people to park overnight) has finally accepted this as fact.

[font=HelveticaMediumCondensed, TeXGyreHerosCnRegular, Helvetica, Tahoma, Geneva,]Well that was short-lived...[/font]

[font=HelveticaMediumCondensed, TeXGyreHerosCnRegular, Helvetica, Tahoma, Geneva,]SAN DIEGO (KUSI) – The San Diego City Council voted today in favor of an ordinance that places a limited ban on residents sleeping overnight or living in their cars within city limits.[/font]

[font=HelveticaMediumCondensed, TeXGyreHerosCnRegular, Helvetica, Tahoma, Geneva,]The ordinance makes illegal for residents to sleep in their vehicles from 9 p.m. to 6 a.m. (when shelter beds are available or ”safe” parking lots are open) or at any time within 500 feet of a residence or school, excluding colleges and universities. The ordinance considers residents to be living in their vehicle if they use it for things like sleeping, bathing or preparing meals.[/font]

My question would be how many safe parking lots do they have? If they actually are "safe" as in a place safe from LEO removal(unless causing a disturbance or something) then I don't see much point in staying in areas your not wanted when a better option exists.

If too full then the city are being callous jerks.

Apparently they have two lots available now and are working on a third.

To the surprise of absolutely nobody, they are citing people who "dump trash and human waste" as a prompt for the ban.

As a group, we dwellers remain our own worst enemies. (sigh)

Yep, everywhere I go I see where someone has dumped their tanks, leave trash, don't pick up their dog shit, etc. It's this sense of entitlement that is making everyone look bad. Likewise if these cities want their properties to stay clean they will need to figure out some way for dumping sewage and trash collection. Even the most diligent camper creates poo and trash.

What irks me is many of us are a PRODUCT of the economy. It doesn't matter that I didn't make perfect choices I would have still ended up where I did.