Salvaged $10000 -- please!!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

offroad

Reaction score
Not sure if this is just a rant. And might need to get this subject moved or deleted. But seeing this all the time.

People are finding surplus-salvage-junk-rough diamonds and turning them into outstanding gems of living space. Yes it's great to show us and teach that it can be done.

But what is real useful is the details.

Do you have an RV dump within ten miles of you to get dirt cheap parts? Do you have $5000 of tools from your woodworking hobby to make it happen? Did you search for a year on Craig's list until you found some desperate sales happening that was outstanding? Do you have 40 hours extra a week to work on you RV system.

Just finding some show-tell completely impractical for anyone except that lucky lottery winner of skills or location or tools.

To the ones that make it look very easy for anyone to duplicate, with minimal luck. Cheers to you and thanks!!

Our trailer was hit by a hail storm this year and the insurance totaled it, but it doesn't have a salvage title due to Colorado not offering them due to hail. We could have taken the cash and ran or traded it in and started over but a paid off three year old trailer with a few dimples was too good to turn down. I can still trade it in if we want to.

I know of those with more ambition than me that have rebuilt RV's. I was amazed at what one had to do when he stripped it to the walls and redid the interior. That was topped by the guy that stripped his to the frame and redid it all. The first guy has a very well insulated camper that can handle extreme cold, the second guy rebuilt a 70's trailer that isn't collectable and decided to sell it. He had three times what the trailer was worth into it.

Location is a factor unfortunately. Vehicles here are expensive even for rusty broken junk. But i can get building materials for a tenth of retail where im at too (i can get main kitchen cabinet facing for 5$). So i guess you just gotta find the advantage were you are and exploit it or resign to travel for what you want.

I understand and agree. Too many show-and-tell posts of budget builds without details about how the build was done on a budget. Would NOT say it's a lottery of skills or location or tools however.

offroad where are you seeing this. this sounds like spam emails I get from time to time. I doesn't seem like English is their primary language. highdesertranger

I think you should spend lots of money and time on the living area only if the mechanical areas are in top condition. There have been too many threads where people get an old, worn out vehicle and spend huge amounts of time and money fixing up the living area--only to have substantial mechanical problems when the vehicle is finally out on the road.