Salton Sea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MotorVation

Reaction score
I'm outside of Salton City parked about 1/4 mile from the Sea itself, on the shoreline. It's a free campsite.There are a few other friendly campers boondocking nearby, but not too near. There's very little wind but it's coming off the Sea and there's little to no odor. I grew up near the ocean and bay near Atlantic City so a little fishy smell doesn't bother me..but...really...the odor is practically non-existent.

I was around Quartzsite, Ehrenberg and Parker for the last few weeks and wanted a change of pace.

I just got here a couple hours ago and the sun's just now set. Time to rustle up something to eat. 

Here's a pic of the White Trash Winnebago in our free camp.

Attachments

• van salton.jpg
    van salton.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 27
I'm heading to Anza-Borrego tomorrow. I'll wave as I drive by.

I've been to the Salton Sea in the winter, and there was no smell. But it is said other seasons of the year have major die-offs of fish, resulting in big problems.

And have u ever been to Bombay Beach, the Salton Sea resort? Kinda looks like a zombie attack just occurred there. Must be why certain public contests have two levels of awards. First prize winners get a week in Bombay Beach. Second prize winners get two weeks in Bombay Beach. :)

if your at the Salton Sea and it doesn't stink either you are very lucky or the wind is blowing just right. just hang around you will see or should I say smell what everybody talks about. my buddy used to live in the Bermuda Dunes/La Quinta area and at times you could smell it at his house which was a good 40 miles away. highdesertranger

I've been studying the Salton Sea for a couple years. I'm aware of the problems and I expect them to get worse as no one is willing to put up the necessary cash to fix it. 

The Sea has no outlet and the water flowing into it is mostly agricultural runoff and a polluted river. Even with the runoff, it's not keeping up with evaporation and the Sea is slowly shrinking every year. That in turn exposes more and more of the shoreline which is made up of mostly dead barnacles and fish bones which have been contaminated with chemicals from the runoff. During windstorms the dust blows all over this part of the desert and is causing health problems for the people who live in the area.

The Sea has millions of tilapia living it it. Tilapia is a warm weather fish. When the water temp drops below 55 degrees in the winter, there is a major die off and that's mainly what causes the famous stink.

I could go on and on but this information is widely available on YouTube and the rest of the web, so I'll spare you.

So, it's a nice day here, no smell and a light breeze so I don't have to worry too much about breathing excessive toxins. This has been on my bucket list for a while, so here I am. 

There is an RV park directly behind me that looks pretty full which proves I'm not the only nut that's attracted to this place.

Reminds me Walker Lake, NV. First time I stopped by there the flies and stench were gut-churning. The next time I stopped by, it was lovely. Summer vs winter, respectively. Thanks for the report.

Guy, it probably is worse now since the Sea has receded even further. On the way into Salton City, there is a billboard advertising build-able lots for 3k. There are side streets paved a few hundred feet or whatever that don't go anywhere and nothing was ever built. 

I'm in Salton City.  On the other side of the Sea there are other communities. Bombay Beach is one of them. I haven't gone there and really don't want to after watching multiple videos of it. On top of all the other problems this place has, there was a bad flood during the 70's that wiped out just about everything on that shoreline and it was never rebuilt. There are skeletons of buildings and docks, piers, etc encrusted with salt just decaying.

It's actually pretty nice where I am but I know what's in the air I'm breathing so I'm headed out of here no later than tomorrow. 

I mentioned in another post that the Sea has no outlet but has polluted water entering. The nutrients in the agricultural runoff causes massive algae blooms and although I don't know everything about that, I'm sure it's also killing fish and contributing to the odor. The chemicals are building up on the bottom of the sea since there's no where else for them to go. The salinity is also a big problem. There is more than twice the amount of salt in the water than in the ocean. As it keeps evaporating, the problems increase because the chemical buildup is being exposed to the air and wind. In fact, if nothing is done about it, the dust is going to pollute a huge area of California, Mexico and Arizona and is already making people sick.

fix what? the whole thing is a man made f up. either let it return to what it was before man F. it U., or dig a channel to the gulf and call it good. highdesertranger

It's man made this time as in 1905. Twice before that in recorded history the Colorado changed direction and filled the Salton Sink by itself then went back towards the Gulf on its own. The difference is, we didn't pollute it then so when it dried up the dust wasn't toxic. I really don't recommend spending too much time here. I'm outta here tomorrow unless I get a hair up my butt and leave tonight. It was getting hot today so I had one fan blowing in on high and the other blowing out so I can taste the dust now......it's funky

It's a shame, it looks like paradise on this shore

Edited to add:
This visit was an exercise in curiosity. Sort of like visiting Chernobyl

Whatever the case, glad you are enjoying your time there. We are part of nature, and like OSB, if we created it, we can also enjoy it (or not).

we did not create it on purpose, it was one big o shit moment. the dust kicked up by all these dry lakes is toxic not just the Salton Sea. highdesertranger

MotorVation said:
This visit was an exercise in curiosity. Sort of like visiting Chernobyl

Since you're in the area have you visited Slab City?

slow2day said:
Since you're in the area have you visited Slab City?
I think I'm going to head there today. Gotta get some supplies first. I wasn't planning on going there alone but I'm so close I figure I may as well. I like to travel solo but there's no way I'm going to walk away from my rig in the Slabs without eyes on it. Maybe just crash there for the night..

Heading to the Salton Sea today from Ehrenberg. Second visit in two months, this time exploring the Southern side. Like being at the beach with no people. The California State Park has showers, RV dump and water stations along with full RV plug-in sites. Tent/Van camping was $20/night $18 with my "old guy" discount. Worth the cost just for the view from my windows.......

FYI: The Community Center at the Marina building on the East side has an excellent view of the now dry harbor and free computers/wi-fi. Great free camping spot 50' away next to the old abandoned sandwich shop.

On the Road
ChuckState Park Marina.jpg

Attachments

• State Park Marina.jpg
    State Park Marina.jpg
    396.9 KB · Views: 16
I should have posted that I was going to the Sea before I left. I was in Ehrenberg too. We could have shot the shite over a cup of coffee...enjoy.
I'm at Slab City now

highdesertranger said:
we did not create it on purpose,  it was one big o shit moment.  the dust kicked up by all these dry lakes is toxic not just the Salton Sea.  highdesertranger
Yep, the Colorado had a larger than usual flow one year from a lot of rain and it overwhelmed irrigation canals that were man made. That's what filled it up this time. It's pretty sad that it's wasting away. The shore I was on is pristine. Not a cigarette butt or a piece of trash anywhere. Frigging view to die for

I stayed at Slab City Wednesday night. It's not for me but I wanted to see it, so I drove back here to Ehrenberg yesterday. Here's tonight's (blurry) sunset pic

van sunset.jpg

Attachments

• van sunset.jpg
    van sunset.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 13
I stayed at American Girl Mine and Salton Sea SP Mecca Beach ($18/night with wonderful hot showers) same time as you guys were in the area, 10 days ago. The smell was non-existent, and it was quite hot during the day. Bombay Beach should be called Bombed-Out Beach, what a mess. Some other people stayed in FOY, Fountain of Youth RV Spa near there a while back, for $29/night for dry camping and loved the mineral baths.