Salt Lake City and surrounding areas

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keightley

Reaction score
Before I dive into this lifestyle with head first, is there any issue with stealth living in Salt Lake City in regards to local laws that I should be aware of?  I work a regular 8 to 5 professional job so I will for the most part be in Salt Lake City.  I have been looking and the only two "rules" that I can find is that in some areas of downtown, one needs a parking pass which basically states you live in a house on that particular street. And if a person notices that your vehicle has not moved in two days, they can report you to the parking authority and they can give you a ticket for abandoning the vehicle.  But as for any law that states one cannot sleep in a car, I am not see anything.  

If you have any knowledge of this area, I would appreciate your advice.

Cheers,
Keightley

I don't have an answer to your question, but I have two suggestions:

1) go to several of your local walmarts and ask if you can overnight in their parking lot. If they all say no, then it's probably anti-vandwelling. But they may selectively enforce, so go to the local Cracker Barrel, Sams Club, and Home Depot and ask them if you overnight in their parking lot. Then go everywhere and ask everyone, especially 24 hour grocery stores. If they all say no, then you'll need extreme stealth.
2) Go to a local police station, park far away, walk in and ask them! They won't arrest you or anything! Tell them you are working but can't afford to pay for housing and are terrified of ending up homeless, is there anywhere you can park in a car or van? Quickly walk out!

You will know the local attitude when you are done!

You might also try neighboring jurisdictions, like Murray. I'd avoid the heavily suburban cities in the south and west valley where you'd probably stick out. But there's National Forest up the canyons. Great places to get away from things.

103 degrees here in salt lake today! You may want to check out the park city Walmart. 20 degrees cooler up in the mountains!