• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Safest payment option/s for a sold RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your the seller, cashier check should be fine. Endorse it at the teller window.

After reading all of these, I think I will go strictly with a COD situation. I am not really worried about traveling home with the cash hidden well. The buyer is a policeman/fireman in Milwaukee and would understand fully, I am sure. He did give me a $1000 deposit into PayPal, which I think I will withdraw so that PayPal can't do anything with it. Seems some have had issues with Ebay and PayPal too, which surprised me. Thanks for all of the great help and comments. This forum is awesome!
Scott

I've done tons of craigslist buying/selling and have done a few large sales multi states away. Anything over 5k I'll only do with physical cash or a bank check made at their bank with me standing there. I don't have an issue with delivering stuff if all the details have been worked out, usually a non refundable deposit that will cover my travel expenses if they back out. And I will send a hundred photos and a video of the item if necessary before making the trip to limit the chance the seller will change his mind.

When I sold my pop up truck camper, I delivered it to the guy about 5 hours away and he actually didn't want it when I got there. It was a long drawn out sale with his schedule. He mailed me $1000 deposit and said he'd pick it up in a few weeks. Few weeks came and then said he'd get it in another two weeks and mailed me another $1000. I asked if he'd just want me to deliver it and he was excited at the offer. I had sent him about 40 photos and a short video. Said it was perfect, exactly what he was looking for. Got there and even though he agreed my pictures and video showed it's condition as exactly as I had delivered it, it just wasn't what he was expecting. Smaller than he thought it would be, harder to get on/off his truck than he expected. But, he was a man of his word and said he was going to complete the deal as promised. So I thought that was pretty stand up of him, I even told him he didn't have too. Offered to keep a few hundred of his deposit to cover gas and hotel and he said he wouldn't feel right about it and he'd give it a try and if he still didn't like it, it was on him to sell it again, not me. For all the crap people you deal with on craigslist, it's great meeting people like him Makes it all worth while.

Oswegatchie said:
After reading all of these, I think I will go strictly with a COD situation. I am not really worried about traveling home with the cash hidden well. The buyer is a policeman/fireman in Milwaukee and would understand fully, I am sure. He did give me a $1000 deposit into PayPal, which I think I will withdraw so that PayPal can't do anything with it. Seems some have had issues with Ebay and PayPal too, which surprised me. Thanks for all of the great help and comments. This forum is awesome!
Scott

Lets us know how it went.  Hope everything was smooth.

I'd like to know how it went. For me the first thought I had was did the buyer even look at it. If not I'd have no interest in meeting anywhere. You have no proof the buyer is a cop. Look up the murders of Bud and June Runion. They drove 180 miles to look at what they thought was an old Mustang.

^ There are almost no odds of that happening. Plus that's a risk you take when going to look at anything for sale via a classified ad. Doesnt have to be a long distance one. Sure some people get robbed and a few even killed, but there are tens of millions transactions a year through classified sales and only a very small handful will walk into any sort of harm.

Weren't you just the one that hopped on a train to go look at a van a few hours away?

The fear mongering is intense here lately

This has nothing to do with fear mongering and I'd appreciate if you wouldn't think for me.  Almost no odds means there is still a chance as there are always risks in life.  Read his first post and think about it for awhile.  When the lack of common sense that may be in play here presents itself to you(such as my bringing up no proof of the potential buyer being a cop) then maybe you won't be so presumptuous regarding my mentioning the Runions.

I'm talking about someone's personal safety here, not some random CL scammer.

Conjecture seems to be just as intense.

Headache said:
This has nothing to do with fear mongering and I'd appreciate if you wouldn't think for me.  Almost no odds means there is still a chance as there are always risks in life.  Read his first post and think about it for awhile.  When the lack of common sense that may be in play here presents itself to you(such as my bringing up no proof of the potential buyer being a cop) then maybe you won't be so presumptuous regarding my mentioning the Runions.

I'm talking about someone's personal safety here, not some random CL scammer.

Conjecture seems to be just as intense.

It went well. I checked him out ahead of time via Facebook and I called his Fire station and spoke to the Chief. We had a bank check faxed which our bank double checked for us ahead of time. I drove to Indianapolis and met him the next morning. He looked it over thoroughly and actually found many small things wrong that I never would have noticed. The amount of stuff that begins to fall apart due to driving down the road continually is amazing, even on a well built rig like Lance. Anyway, it almost did not fit into his truck! After we came to an agreement and finalized the sale. It just barely fit. The whole thing went pretty smoothly otherwise. Other than 800 miles of nothing to look at from Albany to Indy, it was a successful trip.