RV Refrigerator

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marmaxfarms

Reaction score
My refrigerator has not worked on electric for awhile but on gas great. Was running, put in a new battery in RV and it stopped running. Now will not work at all. What could the problem be? We've put in new fuses and checked connections and gas is full.

There are forums for specific manufacturers, where real world experienced people have probably already covered the trouble shooting and repair procedures for your model. Like the Ford Truck Forums for Ford trucks and vans.

When you say "electric" do you mean AC generator/shore power?

Those three way fridges have an electric heating element to be as-a-gas-flame when gas is off. Lots of connections could be bad. Get out your multi-meter.

When battery was changed a wire could have been left off, or put on the wrong battery post.

Is this a newer unit or is it quite old?

Main power switch checked?

Does the interior light work?

Are the power indicators (if any) on the front of the fridge lit up?

Is the burner working?

If it is a DOMETIC  fridge WITHOUT a compressor.. Simply take it out and turn it upside down for several hours, maybe even overnight.. 

Then turn it right side up and plug it in.. it should work great, assuming there is refrigerant in it.

Those Dometic  fridges last forever but are bad about developing a "BUBBLE" in the system that prevents the gas from circulating.

The solution is to "BURP" it and get rid of the bubble.

I have had several Dometics over the past thirty or so years and discovered that just driving down a bumpy road can cause a bubble to form.

just for a side note, those Dometic fridges can be turned into a fantastic freezer by simply adjusting the control sensor 

John

Reading comprehension. The unit works great on gas. It doesn't work on 12 volt electric. It is not simple to take these out. Check the connections starting from the heating element using your multi-meter to find the corroded or missing connection.

oops, sorry if I misunderstood.. I based my post on what   MARMAXFARMS  said in the original post... 

"My refrigerator has not worked on electric for awhile but on gas great. Was running, put in a new battery in RV and it stopped running. Now will not work at all.  What could the problem be?  We've put in new fuses and checked connections and gas is full."

Sorry, just trying to help,  hope you find the problem  MARMAXFARMS 

Best wishes,
John

Sorry but- should have said "My reading comprehension" -head

Pity when the OP doesn't mention what type and model it is. Then it's 20 guesses.

what hasn't been mentioned is gas refrigerators are the number one cause of RV fires. highdesertranger