RV parks vs. vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DazarGaidin said:
what is an rvia sticker?

Recreational Vehicle Industry Association.

If you're a commercial manufacturer of rvs, and a member of the association, you get to put a sticker on all of your rigs saying your rig meets their standards.

A campground that requires RVIA stickers is essentially saying no home built rigs or conversions allowed.

Regards
John

Can someone post a close up photo of that ID plate?

Yes, I can make one...

Google is your friend.

Google "RVIA sticker" and a number of images come up.

Regards
John

A SEEKER said:
I recently paid for a couple nights at Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park. I had stayed there years ago before they upgraded to full hookups at all the sites. At that time it was occupied by no more than a couple RV's and 2 or 3 tent campers and was a nice place.

I pulled into my spot (the only available non rented as they were full) and on one side of me were 2 couples staying in tents with a nice peaceful fire. I was happy and hoping for the best on the so far empty spot through some thin trees on the other side.

Well wouldn't you know, a big fiver pulled in (after about 30 minutes of in and out backing trying) and it was like an occupying army. The first thing was the large screen TV that came out on the side, just what I wanted to hear. Next was 2 or 3 of those outside propane heaters that sound like jet engines. The worst was several of those duel halogen shop lights that lit up half the park.

I better just shut up before I say more. Left the next morning although I had already paid for it.

I stopped at a kayak/canoe outfitter and ask if he knew where a nice peaceful road near the river was and he hooked me up with a lonely beautiful peaceful place.

They may let my van in but . . .
ASEEKER

:)
Sort of sums up the life of the poor lowly van-dweller . ;-)

The following full hookup RV parks will take vans long term (monthly rate). I have stayed at these particular parks and I know. They also take skoolies and other home conversions (even horse trailers).

Casey's Socorro RV Park
Socorro, NM
(w/e/s/cable/wifi)

Town & Country RV Park
Roswell, NM
(w/e/s/cable/wifi)

Dixie RV Park
Vienna, GA
(w/e/s park under the group of pine trees past the bathhouse for the fullhookup sites)

compassrose said:
The following full hookup RV parks will take vans long term (monthly rate)

Excellent. Where there are some, there may be others....

I never realized this was an issue. Never really got a second look from my old (94) van.

A SEEKER said:
I recently paid for a couple nights at Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park.

Well wouldn't you know, a big fiver pulled in (after about 30 minutes of in and out backing trying) and it was like an occupying army. The first thing was the large screen TV that came out on the side, just what I wanted to hear. Next was 2 or 3 of those outside propane heaters that sound like jet engines. The worst was several of those duel halogen shop lights that lit up half the park.

I better just shut up before I say more. Left the next morning although I had already paid for it.

ASEEKER

better shut up....WHAAAAA????

If they (the inconsiderate SOB's in the 5) can't shut down their crap by 10:00 or 11:00 PM, I'd be headed over there to tell them to do so myself!! and if not that, then I'd be waking up the park manager and making him deal with it! Shut up my FOOT!!!
...and there's no way I'd leave without a refund for the unused balance of my stay.

a few years ago, we stayed at a KOA in Stockton, CA. (the one used in the TV show "Undercover Boss"). KOA's are 'supposed' to have a strict "All Quiet after 10:00PM" policy.
On one side of the campground next to the bathrooms was a large group of folks listening to VERY LOUD HIP-HOP & RAP music.
On the other side of the camp, was a group who were having a sound-off against the Rap music with LOUD COUNTRY.

...neither of which I can stand!!!!!

I had just driven over 12 hours that day, and had another 12 hour drive the next day, so sleep was at a premium for me.

12:00 midnight...it's still going.

1:00 AM....they're STILL AT IT!!!!

That's it!!!
Now I'm up, and stuffing on some jeans. My wife is freaking that I'm gonna bust someone up and get thrown into jail.

suddenly, the rap went quiet. Hmmmmmm OK. I waited for about 20 minutes figuring the war was over and the country would go silent.

NOPE!!

So, now I AM headed out...and I am MAD! (I'm a big cat with long hair & tattoos.) Marched into their camp (which freaked them out), and chewed them out about showing proper manners and being considerate for the other campers at the park!
They all submitted, hung their heads, and apologized. (chickenshits!)

the next morning during our breakfast and while packing up, we got several "Thankyou's" from others who were also camped at the park.

stand up for what's right, and somebody will have your back.

Yea. they back up up, afterward. During confrontations they hid under the seats. And just what is wrong with country music?

The RVIA sticker is proof (to the park, and more importantly to their insurance company) that the rig in question meets certain minimal guidelines for construction and materials. While a lot of park managers are a bit lazy about verifying that a rig is legal when it arrives, any fire or other such incident will put them in overdrive checking and doublechecking. If you have good "FullTimers" insurance, you are probably legal, as they see it. Many of us just carry the state minimum on liability. The insurance company will write such a policy with just a VIN. If you look for full coverage, especially FullTimers with homeowner's type coverage, the insurance company will verify that you do indeed have an RV before they write the policy.

Most parks have pretty good insurance. One stipulation by the insurance company is that all rigs WILL have the RVIA sticker before they are allowed to camp. If you are staying for more than a week, it will eventually be checked.

I have owned one and have seen several conversion vans, with the 4 captain's chairs and sofa in the back, and they all have had the sticker. My just bought Sportsmobile, an RB-12, has one.

Bama

South Carolina State parks offer "snowbird" 50% off deals during winter, with 30 day stay. Dec. 1, 2014 through Feb. 28, 2015. They actually encourage and want people to come stay for a long time (who would think!).

Florida has every size and shape of RV park - from the resorts to a stall and plug in. If you look around I doubt you will have trouble finding something, but they likely don't advertise and might be a little out of the way.

I know some states limit how often you can book in a state park, but florida, has state parks, federal campgrounds, and many counties have their own campgrounds (many are on the beach, and nicer than the state or federal places). You could bounce between those, although it might get expensive, they usually charge about $30+ per day for full service sites.

I wouldn't let the RV park dictate what you drive. If you do, you will most likely be unhappy at that park anyway.

I traveled/ camped in a Conversion Van for 5 or 6 years. I have stayed in State, National, County ,Private RV parks, Some would even be considered Resort parks/ Pirate land at Myrtle Beach.. I would always tell them I was in a conversion van , when asked, and never had any park ask if it was RVIA. I would request only electrical hookups and a site close to the shower rooms so they knew it was not full hookups. I had a DIY bed, sink and porta toilet but no one ever asked.
Bob

I think it's only the snobby ones that insist on the RIVA sticker. the ones that cater to the big *ss diesel pushers. the Thousand Trails in Rancho Mirage, CA is one of these. highdesertranger

Highdesettranger
You are probably right about only the snobby ones and I doubt many on this forum would even want to be there anyway.
I know I wouldn't!!!!
Bob

What many of you appparently don't know is that I can usually beat the cost per night in a private park over a public park because I stay monthly. This sounds an awful lot like the "move south" comments when someone asks about how to stay warn in cold areas.

Current rate is $425/mo includes electric, water, sewer, cable (yes I watch TV) and wifi.

For overnights, a van will be allowed in most private parks. Just not all parks. Most definately any public park. It's when you are looking for long term (monthly) that things get sticky. Destination parks are also a bit picky as well. Most places with large concentrations of "snowbirds" or "winter Texans" or other tourist traps are going to have the picky parks.

I live in a converted school bus (skoolie). You think you get descriminated against your vans? Try a skoolie. That said, I have not had a problem but I don't stay in retirement parks or destination parks or "Resorts". What I do is look ar RVParkReviews and find the parks where they have RVers complaining about the "workers", "permanent-" or "semi-permanent" people and/or the "older" RVs. Since I am self contained, I really don't care about if a place has a bathhouse or laundry. I don't care if they have a clubhouse, pool, organized activities and potlucks. I need a site with fullhookups. So that is what I look for. When I head back to the Southeast, I will probably end up, long term since I have to hold down a job (unless I win the Lottery), in a mobile home park and not an RV park. Funny thing... RVers look down on the mobile home people and the mobile home people look down on the RVers. I tink you guys need to start calling your vans "Class B's" which they are. The definition of a Class B is a recreational vehicle built on a van chassis. Which your vans are.