RV parks vs. vans

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I know that a van works great for boondocking and stealth parking, but once I finally purchase mine I would actually prefer to hunker down for several months out of each year in various RV parks and/or campgrounds with electric hookups. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure many RV parks won't welcome a plain-vanilla E150 or Chevy Express into their upscale environments. I suppose I don't blame them -- the RV lots really should be reserved for people who need sewage facilities, at least for long-term stays. (I'll stick with a portapotty, thank you.) But I do need to find places that will allow me to stay for up to a month at a time and feed me some electricity.

So what does that leave? Campgrounds? I know some RV parks also have camping lots. Could I book one of those, or would I be turned away there too?

I've never been turned down at an RV park with any of the vans I've driven. I have however been looked at kind of funny when they find out that I actually live in a van...:D It's much akin to the looks you get from those that can't imagine not having a S&B home to return to after a 'vacation' in their RV.

The kicker is that most of the privately/commercially owned RV parks have full services at all the sites and you don't get necessarily get a discount for not needing them. I was able to wheel and deal a couple of times where they had a site where the sewer line was unusable and they couldn't rent it to anyone with a big rig because they all wanted full facilities.

OTOH, it was kind of nice to step outside to fill water jugs and I'd empty the porta pottie after dark directly into my sewer outlet - no need to haul the thing to a dump station.

What you're going to be able to find will strictly depend on where you are. For example I used an old RV park in Hudson Florida where they had a few sites that wouldn't suit the newer larger rigs - I fit perfectly and was happy with the privacy because I was out of the way of their 'lined up like sardines in a can' rows of RV's.

Don't be afraid to ask, the worst that can happen is they tell you that you don't fit their requirements.

Do you mean the concrete parking lots where the elite park so close that their awning touches the next rig? Ewwwwwwwwwwww lol

I was going to say there were places around here but the one I have driven past shocked me when I went to their site and saw a 15 year old limit, no tent, conversion vans, pop ups or truck campers. Honestly it looks like a dump when you drive by for them to be so uppity.

That makes sense. How long do you stay at any given site?

I think it depends on the CG or RV Park. If you register as a Class B RV, I think you'd be all right. Some do have restrictions on the age of your rig, but if yours is a late model, you should be OK. I don't see any vans in the RV Park where I am in central Ohio, but I see them all the time at State Parks.

My electric is metered and I pay it monthly at the RV Park; State Parks in Ohio offer electric or nonelectric sites. You can only be camped there for 14 consecutive days, though. That's the way it is in Ohio...just to give you an idea.

my_vantasy said:
I think it depends on the CG or RV Park. If you register as a Class B RV, I think you'd be all right. Some do have restrictions on the age of your rig, but if yours is a late model, you should be OK. I don't see any vans in the RV Park where I am in central Ohio, but I see them all the time at State Parks.

My electric is metered and I pay it monthly at the RV Park; State Parks in Ohio offer electric or nonelectric sites. You can only be camped there for 14 consecutive days, though. That's the way it is in Ohio...just to give you an idea.

14 days would be OK, as long as the rates are reasonable. I don't mind picking up and moving twice a month....

I have stayed in private RV parks in my E-150 passenger van overnight. Never turned away but that was just for one night at a time.

Each park will be different. One in which I stayed had a rule against window air conditioners. Go figure.

Good luck and best wishes.

What I do is ask for a tent site.they're usually cheaper. Most have water and electricity,plus they would expect you to have a vehicle parked.

nwprimo said:
What I do is ask for a tent site.they're usually cheaper. Most have water and electricity,plus they would expect you to have a vehicle parked.

That's what I'm thinking. How long can one stay in a typical tent site?

ganchan said:
That makes sense. How long do you stay at any given site?

I stayed as long as a whole season and as short as a few weeks.

I agree with Jim that most of the privately owned RV Parks are pretty awful.

I do have to warn you that as a van dweller you instantly become an object of intense curiousity and gossip amongst the other residents - first because you live in a VAN..:rolleyes: and secondly because your actions are so much more visible...no screen room, pull back your front window drapes and you can be seen in the bedroom.

The other thing I found in the RV parks is that I was significantly younger than any of the other residents (particularly in Florida). One park I felt more like I was in a fishbowl than anything else.

You'll find that state/county parks usually have more privacy in their sites and because of the 14 day stay limit, you're not the object of curiousity that you'd find in a privately owned RV park. OTOH, having to move every 14 days could be problematic for you and the cost could be higher than paying a monthly or a seasonal rent.

Again, what's available will largely depend on where you are.

You could always get a shower tent and tell them you sleep standing up. ;)

I'm learning some good stuff here....

I'm not so worried about scrutiny, as long as no one harasses me. I'll be out and about most of the day anyway.

Regarding park stays -- is there any kind of park pass I can buy to knock the rates down? something that would be honored in places other than national parks, i mean?

The last time we stayed in a NSF CG was the first trip with the new trailer. Had I been old enough I could of had a golden age pass that would have knocked a electric site down from $23 to $9 a night. They do have a two week limit there. Then again most NSF GS's and the like here are closed right now. Full timing in anything but a GOOD 4 season rig wouldn't be living, it would be surviving. Even using my 3 season entry level trailer that is somewhat insulated would have issues with the plumbing winterized. The walls are cool and the window frames wick the cold in on those 20 F nights camping, the minus 19 we had this last cold snap would have cost a fortune in propane just trying to keep us from freezing, never mind the plumbing.

If you are 62 or older, or are permanently disabled, you can get a pass that will give you half off most federal campgrounds.
New Mexico has a yearly pass for thier state parks, electric is extra.
Some RV parks give a small discount for Good Sam, AAA, or FMCA, frequently only on short stays.
Pasport America gives 1/2 off their parks, but each has it's own rules on it's use -- may be off season and short non-weekend stays, etc. Joining through my blog give me a little money.
There are several more expensive clubs that are only cost effective if you spend lots of time in their RV parks.

I recently paid for a couple nights at Stephen Foster Folk Culture Center State Park. I had stayed there years ago before they upgraded to full hookups at all the sites. At that time it was occupied by no more than a couple RV's and 2 or 3 tent campers and was a nice place.

I pulled into my spot (the only available non rented as they were full) and on one side of me were 2 couples staying in tents with a nice peaceful fire. I was happy and hoping for the best on the so far empty spot through some thin trees on the other side.

Well wouldn't you know, a big fiver pulled in (after about 30 minutes of in and out backing trying) and it was like an occupying army. The first thing was the large screen TV that came out on the side, just what I wanted to hear. Next was 2 or 3 of those outside propane heaters that sound like jet engines. The worst was several of those duel halogen shop lights that lit up half the park.

I better just shut up before I say more. Left the next morning although I had already paid for it.

I stopped at a kayak/canoe outfitter and ask if he knew where a nice peaceful road near the river was and he hooked me up with a lonely beautiful peaceful place.

They may let my van in but . . .
ASEEKER

ganchan said:
I'm learning some good stuff here....

I'm not so worried about scrutiny, as long as no one harasses me. I'll be out and about most of the day anyway.

Regarding park stays -- is there any kind of park pass I can buy to knock the rates down? something that would be honored in places other than national parks, i mean?

That depends entirely on where you are.

I was just researching Texas State Parks as part of next winters' trip - they offer a $70.00 annual pass that covers the day use fee that they charge in addition to the campsite fees. Each park has different day use fees that range from $2 to $5. a day so it wouldn't take long to cover the $70 pass. Next step in figuring out the rules is to find out if it's annual on the calendar year or annual 12 months from date of issue.

New Mexico has a nice pass system as well.

As a Canadian I can never utilize the National Park pass - I'll have to pay full price for their campsites which will definitely figure into where I'll stay.

You have to watch the rules though, one RV'r just found out that their plan to bounce between 2 state parks in Florida so as to abide by their 14 days stay rule was a no-no. The reservation system had allowed all the bookings but once at the park, they were handed their cancellation notices. There's another rule in place that individual parks can enforce that has a limit per quarter year (calendar quarters) that overrides the 14 day stay rule.

The park where I currently reside in my Class C has an older (but very clean) Class B staying, too. One of the office workers mentioned to me that she would not have allowed the rig to rent monthly. I explained to her about Class Bs, and the fact that they are very expensive. She thought it was "Just an Old High Top Van". She is now better informed.

My old park was more restrictive, and would not let a Class B stay more than a month or so. They were also pretty strict about making sure there was an RVIA sticker on the rig.

That being said, both of these parks are on Lake Conroe, on the water, and are fairly full. There are several other parks nearby, including NFS parks, where a van can easily stay longer term. I like the Stubblefield park in the Sam Houston National Forest. It is limited to the 14 day rule, but one vandweller I spoke to there said that he had paid for 8 or 10 days, then paid again for 8 or 12 more days, and just moved to a different spot in the park. He wasn't bothered. But he is very quiet and leaves nothing outside of his rig, including a lawn chair.

I think if your rig is clean, not dented, and looks like it is ready for a 300 mile trip tomorrow, you will have few issues at most non-resort type parks. If you don't have an RVIA sticker, you will have more issues, but I would guess that most parks would just ask you not to renew after a month. A few months ago, in West Texas, there were almost no open RV sites. The parks could be very choosy, and most had waiting lists. I would bet that they wouldn't have put a van on the list.

Bama

I'll be wintering in South Texas (maybe in rotation with Yuma AZ, San Diego and a few other warm spots near the border), so it would be nice to find some van-friendly long-term parking there, if only at a tent site. I'm told that TX is pretty friendly toward RVs, campers, travelers, etc. We'll see, I guess.

It sounds like every site has different rules and there's no way to please all of them, no matter what rig you have. So I might as well just get an E-150, Chevy Express, Ford Transit or whatever, make sure it looks nice on the outside, and try my luck wherever I go.... One thing's for sure: when I find a place that works for me, I'll be a frequent customer there!

When traveling with my Class B I would call ahead to campgrounds as I didn't need water and sewer but wanted electricity. Rather than a site they my put out me in an group area often by myself and I would be happy and use the restrooms and showers. I wouldn't have to pay full price. In Florida I was told by the campgrounds that they have to first fill their full hookup sites before being put in "overflow". I was told it was the law but have no idea if it was or just their policy to get full pay from people that stay. Sometimes I was asked the age of my vehicle and it was a 94 but in good shape and they would reserve the option to look at it before allowing me a place to stay. "RV Resorts" are generally more restrictive/exclusive but all are not that way. I find that generally the less glitzy places don't care what you have, just that they got your money.