RV locations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OnTheGo

Reaction score
Hi - 

I am making a lifestyle change, and moving into an RV. I currently work full time in the Dallas, TX area, but am looking for a position that will allow me to work remotely. I am interested in hearing from others about options and ideas for the best places to park my RV until I land the remote position. The RV is small (22ft), and contains a full bath, cooking, laundry, etc. And I have a small car to get to my current work place. I just need to be able to hook up to electricity, water and have waste disposal. It's just that all the RV parks are at least $500/month, and because I have payments on the RV and the car, that is more than I want to pay. It will probably be 2-3 months before I can move into a job working remotely. I am doing this because I want to eventually get away from the city and be able to work from anywhere. There are several RV parks in the area within reasonable distance from my current job. But it looks like the membership discounts are only good for 2 days, which doesn't do much when looking at a 30 day stay. I hope all this makes sense. I look forward to hearing back from anyone. Thank you!

OnTheGo said:
Hi - 

I am making a lifestyle change, and moving into an RV. I currently work full time in the Dallas, TX area, but am looking for a position that will allow me to work remotely. I am interested in hearing from others about options and ideas for the best places to park my RV until I land the remote position. The RV is small (22ft), and contains a full bath, cooking, laundry, etc. And I have a small car to get to my current work place. I just need to be able to hook up to electricity, water and have waste disposal. It's just that all the RV parks are at least $500/month, and because I have payments on the RV and the car, that is more than I want to pay. It will probably be 2-3 months before I can move into a job working remotely. I am doing this because I want to eventually get away from the city and be able to work from anywhere. There are several RV parks in the area within reasonable distance from my current job. But it looks like the membership discounts are only good for 2 days, which doesn't do much when looking at a 30 day stay. I hope all this makes sense. I look forward to hearing back from anyone. Thank you!

Try the following:
Free Campsites & Dispersed Camping Directory - Campendium
[font=arial, sans-serif]https://www.campendium.com/free-camping[/font]
[font=arial, sans-serif][size=large]Boondocking (Free Camping)
[/font][/size]

[font=arial, sans-serif]www.boondocking.org/http://www.boondocking.org/[/SIZE]
https://www.google.com/search?q=fre...j69i65j0l2.8207j0j8&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8#[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Happy trails.[/font]

Welcome OnTheGo to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. I don't know the area but I would look for a place on private property. some folks use craigslist for finding a place. highdesertranger

Hi and welcome to the forum.

You are looking for someplace with long term camping and a monthly rate. You can eventually make the RV boondocking ready by adding solar, extra batteries, LED lights and more. That will allow you to stay without hook ups and save money. I have mine set up to provide for at least two weeks at a time and will dump and fill as I move to a new spot.

What is your RV? Any pictures?

Welcome to the CRVL Forum   :) 

Glad to see someone like yourself pursuing this way of living and working.   I'd love to see you keep a blog about your progress as there are so many others who would be interested in replicating what you are doing now.  

I think the advice jimindenver is giving you is right on target.  You can become energy independent.  Do you have a generator ?  What size is it and how many amp breaker is it equipped with ?

I'd invite you to look at the bottom link in my signature lines and see if there is any information in it that can be of help in finding camping with the shore power and other amenities you need for a reasonable price.

Welcome to the forums!  Can you delay moving out of your house or apartment until you save enough to buy a solar system? This would open up a wide range of places to stay. 

Walmart - many of the Walmarts in the Dallas area do not allow overnight RV parking but where there's a Walmrt there are also Home Depots, Sams Clubs and Lowes where you can usually stay.

Freecampsites - not many near  Dallas

Try trailer parks in addition to RV parks - many have a few spaces for RVs and are cheaper than RV parks. It may take some searching and phone calls.

If you do decide to blacktop camp you need to conserve water but there are places where you can fill and dump, sometimes free, sometimes for a small fee. Sanidumps
http://www.sanidumps.com/rvdumpscity.php?citynum=481&city=Dallas&cityradius=1
Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

Welcome aboard OTG!
Almost every town has a sewer treatment plant where they usually allow people to dump their tanks for FREE !

Thanks to all of you for your VERY helpful replies. I will be transitioning out of my apt and into my RV (to be purchased) in May 2017. I would like to be able to boondock for 2 weeks at a time, eventually. I will check out the private property option and the trailer parks. I won't be staying in the Dallas metroplex any longer than I have to, and then will be looking at the public lands in the areas I'll be traveling. One of my hobbies is writing, and I had a blog before, when I spent time in Australia, but haven't done anything with it for a while. I plan to get back into that, when I get downsized. It is www.myroadtooz.wordpress.com if anyone is interested. Thanks again for all your helpful, encouraging input.