Runnin' down a dream

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Dirt

Reaction score
Hello, everyone. It has been a lifelong dream of mine to live as a nomadic road warrior, and I plan on doing so after I retire from my job in a few years. I had no idea that so many folks are living the nomadic lifestyle until I recently discovered the online communities.

For years, I've pondered the pros and cons of rv's, trucks, trailers, and vans. I'm an experienced truck camper and a jack of all trades who likes the back country, so I've just about decided that a van build will be the best fit for me.​

Having already gained much knowledge while browsing this forum I look forward to learning even more from you guys and gals.....Thanks, JD

Hi JD and welcome. I don't hate myself for it, but one of my deepest shames is that I loved Joe Dirt. Lol. Best of luck with everything, and van builds are great for this lifestyle.

Something tells me that if Tom Petty had an episode of full moon fever, he would have choosen a van to travel and live in...

Welcome JD to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Wabbit said:
Hi JD and welcome. I don't hate myself for it, but one of my deepest shames is that I loved Joe Dirt. Lol. Best of luck with everything, and van builds are great for this lifestyle.
lol... Me too!....   Thanks!

badmotorscooter said:
Something tells me that if Tom Petty had an episode of full moon fever, he would have choosen a van to travel and live in...
Yeah, I suspect that you're probably right about that....... He did write some good travelin' music

highdesertranger said:
Welcome JD to the CRVL forums!  To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.   We look forward to hearing more from you.  highdesertranger
Thanks for the welcome, and the tips link, I'm glad to be here

I thought you were going to say because of your love of the back country, that a truck would be best for you. I have to say, I really like my van. It suits me very well. I did add a high top on it which makes it more comfortable, but I think even without a high top it would be good. 

The high top allows for extra storage as well as being able to stand up. 

One of the first things I did after building the van out, is to get some 10 ply side wall tires. I feel much more confident driving on some of the very rocky back roads with them. They are all terrain. They seem to be good on the freeway as well. I don't notice extra noise or rough ride. It was an expensive add but I think they are well worth it.

Have fun doing your prepping for hitting the road!

BuenaVista said:
I thought you were going to say because of your love of the back country, that a truck would be best for you. I have to say, I really like my van. It suits me very well. I did add a high top on it which makes it more comfortable, but I think even without a high top it would be good.
Yeah, a truck would get me further up or down the trail, but I think a van is more suitable for a full time mobile dwelling and will get me relatively close to the back country where I can hike further in if I so desire. Not as nimble as I used to be, so I will probably be shopping for the lowest and most aerodynamic fiberglass high top I can find that will suit my height of 5-10  

BuenaVista said:
One of the first things I did after building the van out, is to get some 10 ply side wall tires. I feel much more confident driving on some of the very rocky back roads with them. 
Using heavy duty tires is a good idea. I know from experience what jagged rocks will do to sidewalls. Even though I'm striving for a sparsely furnished lightweight rig I'm also considering carrying 2 spare tires as well.

BuenaVista said:
Have fun doing your prepping for hitting the road!
Thanks!

Welcome! yea we only use 10 ply on the truck, good move on your van also!
nimble, lol, I hear ya on that, I need standing room also. No crouch, slouch or crawl for this old gal anymore.
sounds like you are going to be set up well for your new adventures into the back country! enjoy!

Welcome JD! I, too, am jack of all trades, master of none, that loves the backcountry. I went the truck camper route, just finishing up a major rehab of a 1988 Bigfoot 9.6 1500.

Thanks for the warm welcomes, RoamerRV428 and MaTaLa.

MaTaLa, those Bigfoots look pretty sweet.