Rubbish at the RTR for tenters/car dwellers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cynanne

Reaction score
For people who went to last years RTR- where did you dispose of rubbish? I am interested to know from persons who came in cars or stayed in a tent?

dropped it off in town on my way out. i use plastic walmart bags for trash to keep them small. on my way out, drop one here and there when i got gas and such.

learning to reduce trash has been one of the better things i have learned as a van dweller

I full-time out of my Prius and have been going to the RTRs since 2011. I use plastic grocery bags for my garbage/rubbish. I store them on my dash until I'm ready to go to town to dispose of them.

the dump/transfer station in Quartzsite is free. no reason to use a business, it cost them money. there will be dumpsters at RTR but remember the RTR is free and dumpsters cost money so use wisely. remember the dump is free. highdesertranger

Not a car camper but I reduce trash before leaving the store where I bought it. If it has a bag in a box, I remove the bag and throw the box away at the store. The plastic bags from the store work well for trash. The handles are great for tying it closed.

highdesertranger said:
the dump/transfer station in Quartzsite is free.

The solid waste transfer station is open Sunday-Tuesday only. So plan accordingly.

Part of the vehicle-dwelling life is learning to minimize trash and garbage.

Like B and C said, and I learned this from a nomad named Sunny Skies: remove as much outer packaging from purchases as is practical, before leaving the store premises. Deposit this in the trash can outside the store (they always have them at Wal-Mart, for instance). I even have plastic egg containers, which help keep my eggs from breaking on rough roads, so if I've just purchased eggs at a health food store I simply give them back the carton. One does become very trash-conscious when boondocking, which I feel is a huge plus.

The Dire Wolfess

Yep, take crackers out of the boxes, etc.. any unnecessary external packaging goes in the trash bins at the grocery store.

I put pasta and rice into ziplock bags, so I can get rid of the boxes.

Less to find storage for in a small space, plastic bags can be re-used, less to have to throw away.

I burn what I can. And I stop for gas often even if it's just a couple of gallons it gives me a chance to clear out my trash.