RTR VLog 2018

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanKitten

Reaction score
I saw Bobs video on the RTR 2018.

He spoke of the first day, a basic "how to/where to".    Maps of Quartzsite, where/how to get permit, dumps, water, etc.

I think I will probably just sort of drop in, but not on any kind of schedule.   For myself, it would be great to have all that info posted somewhere here in advance.   Even now would be great (while I still have the resources to print it all out).    I guess a fair number of people would like to get that info, but might not get there for a scheduled seminar the first day.

I am still undecided about the RTR.   Large groups of people freak me out.   But, the seminars are nearly just as irresistible.    

I want to meet many of the people who have befriended me here...that would be another big reason to be there...just wonder how anyone finds anyone in such large groups...I mean, without being anywhere near the main camp.     Bet other people are wondering the same thing too

If you do a search through this forum, you'll find a majority of the information you're looking for as it doesn't seem to change from year to year. Anything that is different will undoubtedly be noted when it's posted for the 2018 RTR ...

in the header at the top of the forum click on the "Gatherings" header. this will give you all the info for 2018, except for the seminar schedule. that will come sometime in Nov or Dec. if anybody is looking for me that will not be a problem, just ask. or look for the "Road Warrior" looking camp flying one of the Gadsden flags. highdesertranger

VanKitten said:

I want to meet many of the people who have befriended me here...that would be another big reason to be there...just wonder how anyone finds anyone in such large groups...I mean, without being anywhere near the main camp.     Bet other people are wondering the same thing too

There should still be a video of the first day from last year - Quartzite doesn't change from year to year...lol. Well not much anyways. There's only 2 main streets that run east and west, one south of 10, one north of 10. 90% of what you want is on one of those 2 streets. Each street is not more than a couple of miles long so it's kind of  hard to get lost... :D

How to find anyone - if you're never going to go near the main camp you'll miss 80% of the people. You'll still get to meet people just not the vast majority of us. Those that don't like having neighbors do one of 2 things, they walk a lot or they commute.

The other option is to walk around once everyone has their own little groups going each night. We had a campfire most evenings and people would amble on by, join us for a while and mosey on down the trail. Even the main firepit never had more than 30 or 40 people at it at the best of times so it's not like you're talking stadium sized crowds.

Once you're parked and have met your closest neighbors, meet the ones' just a little further away from you. Or start at the inner circle and work your way out.

You'll get a chance to meet the people sitting next to you at seminars, ask them where they're parked. Just don't do it when Bob is talking.... :rolleyes:

I park just far enough away that I don't hear any noise from the main campfire late at night but close enough that I don't have to drive to get there. Well we drove when we had to carry the button machine and all the supplies but that's different.

Juanita and I will be easy to find no matter where we end up! But, without Juanita, I might just end up watching more freakin' YouTube videos. I suspect, though, that I'll be somewhere on the outskirts... Comfort levels and all!! :)

Since I have some of the same feelings some of you have (Newbies?) regarding the crowds, etc. we could band together. It's always been hard for me to take that first step, might be easier with a couple of others.  :blush:

Sure, we could form our own crowd!
Dunno, though- I'm in the middle of way over a million people now- If I want to be around people

Bob is pretty convincing though- like selling you a '79 Pinto quality of convincing

Seems straightforward in concept and detail- drive to grid in desert and park.

People wear nametags with their name and forum name on it, some people at the RTR make them, its good to give them a donation for the materials and time.

And some people will have YOU AINT RIGHT badges [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cammalu, Mr. Smart, and Popeye all need to be there to officiate a "Pinning of the Badges" ceremony. highdesertranger

What are you yessing about Belinda? You earned a badge and don't even send an address where I can send one to. I think Popeye should take away one of your manure spreader awards [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UptownSport said:
Sure, we could form our own crowd!
Dunno, though- I'm in the middle of way over a million people now- If I want to be around people

Bob is pretty convincing though- like selling you a '79 Pinto quality of convincing

Seems straightforward in concept and detail- drive to grid in desert and park.

Don't be dissin' them Pintos.  I had a 74 Pinto wagon I sorta lived in for a few years.  Other than the engine sometimes wanting to catch on fire it was a great car...   :s

Yea on the Pinto's... I had a 71 hatchback with a may pop gas tank... 2 weeks after I had the recall done, I rear ended a pontiac lemans at 5mph and totaled it! Just scratched the bumper on the pontiac!

Itripper said:
People wear nametags with their name and forum name on it, some people at the RTR make them, its good to give them a donation for the materials and time.

" its good to give them a donation for the materials and time. "

Maybe a "Donation Jar" (Plastic coffee container, empty) on the table when you pick up name tag?  $1.00 ain't gonna break anybody. 

We had a donation box at the table last year and will again this year.

Last year the first thing the money was used for was to pay for the cost of the machine and the materials. After that was taken care of the remainder of the money went to pay for pizza for the clean up party.

This year since the machine itself is already paid for the only thing I will need to add is more button pieces and some decent pens.

The rest will be used wisely for something, either for the RTR itself or as a donation.