RTR and selling a rig -- need info

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victoria-nola

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new here. Have lived in my vehicle for 30 days at a time off and on, have been watching Bob's videos and lots of others for a couple of years. Am hoping to attend RTR this year, have friends in the community. Can anyone tell me about selling a rig in Quartzite?  I know there are no sales on BLM land, so it would mean parking the rig for sale in town somewhere.  Does anyone know about how that works?  Is there a designated area for that, or would I have to pay someone to park the rig somewhere?  Anything someone can fill me in on I would like to know.

fyi:  What I want to sell is a Hunter Compact II fiberglass trailer. It belonged to my mother and she has passed away.

Welcome Victoria-nola.  I'm sorry about the loss of your mother.  I can't help you with info about selling the camper at Quartzite, but I can suggest you list it in the classified section of "fiberglassrv.com".  I found my Hunter Compact II on that site and I gladly drove several hours to get it.  These are great little campers and quite rare.  

Also, a member posted about wanting info on lightweight campers in the "Vandwelling topics that don't fit in other areas."  The title for my Compact II states that the weight is 1050 pounds which is within the member's vehicle weight limits.  Maybe you can help each other out.

Thank you for your condolences, Mizmozy.  And thank you very much for this information. I find it extremely valuable coming from an owner of the same trailer. I know they are sought after, but I wasn't sure where to start. I have been able to explore the website you noted, and also have posted a response to Rosie on that forum here at Bob's site. If she isn't interested, I now know where to list the trailer instead of hauling it out to Quartzite. Again, thank you so much!  :)

Victoria, you will have no problem selling the camper.  I had mine parked in front of my house for a while and lost count of the number of people that stopped and asked to buy her.  There were so many inquiries that I began answering the door by saying, "It's not for sale."  I moved her out back out of view and had one of the inquirers stop to chastise me for selling her without calling him.  

I know your mother enjoyed her camper as much as I enjoy mine. I once bought a truck that belonged to a man who drowned.  He left some change in the ashtray.  I left it there so he could travel with us.  When I traded trucks, I moved his change to the new truck.  He still travels with us. You can be happy knowing that your mother's enjoyment will live on through someone else.

Mizmozy said:
Victoria, you will have no problem selling the camper.  I had mine parked in front of my house for a while and lost count of the number of people that stopped and asked to buy her.  There were so many inquiries that I began answering the door by saying, "It's not for sale."  I moved her out back out of view and had one of the inquirers stop to chastise me for selling her without calling him.  

I know your mother enjoyed her camper as much as I enjoy mine. I once bought a truck that belonged to a man who drowned.  He left some change in the ashtray.  I left it there so he could travel with us.  When I traded trucks, I moved his change to the new truck.  He still travels with us. You can be happy knowing that your mother's enjoyment will live on through someone else.

awwwww, Mizmozy, I share your point your point of view on the world.  It's so kind of you to let him travel along with you. Yes, my mother adored her trailer. I find it hilarious that the one person stopped to chastise you for selling it out from under them!  heheh.  Thank you so much for your kind words.

closeanuf said:
Where are you, and how much do you want for it?

Hi Closeanuf--  I'm in Southwest Mississippi, not too far north of the Louisiana state line, off I55. We're putting $3500. on it.

Edited to add:  Here is a bit of a description of it: 1974 Hunter Compact II. These lightweight trailers can be pulled by 4-cyl cars-- my mother pulled it easily with her 2001 PT Cruiser (Chrysler). It weighs about 1100 pounds (or less, estimates vary). I don't have any photos currently but can take some.  It has a propane stove, water capacity and sink, a propane heater/furnace, closet and pantry, bed that converts to a table, icebox. It may have a black tank (which I can check for), but if so the toilet was removed before my mother bought it, but these trailers are always described as having a flush toilet originally. In any case, she used a bucket-style toilet. My mother made curtains for it and there is a set of matching dishes. It has a pop top, which my mother never used because she was only 5'1", and I know it might need work on the skirt (skirt is mostly ok). BUT, the trailer is completely watertight with the pop top down-- one of the features of the fiberglass trailers is that they usually don't leak.  We have clean title and registration for it.

This is not a restored trailer, but it is in generally good condition, all the drawers and doors work, windows, original light fixtures, etc.  She had installed an air conditioner (that needs a plug-in) in the window above the trailer hitch, or you could decide to remove that. 

I just went out to look at it and thought to mention that although it has been sitting for a while, we have had the fan going in it for the whole time, so it's not all musty and dusty. The exterior needs a wash.

I wouldn't worry about parking it on BLM at your own camp until you find your buyer... do the transaction in town and you're fine. What they don't want is someone running an active business on public lands, but no-one will give you trouble for selling one of your personal items for one time.

There were folks in the BLM LTVA at La Posa selling their vehicles last year. One guy was selling solar panels. I think I saw a couple vehicles for sale at rtr if I’m recalling correctly.

In any event why drag it all that was? Put it on the fiberglassrv.com forum

C-Cat said:
I wouldn't worry about parking it on BLM at your own camp until you find your buyer... do the transaction in town and you're fine. What they don't want is someone running an active business on public lands, but no-one will give you trouble for selling one of your personal items for one time.

Thank you for this information!

Cammalu said:
There were folks in the BLM LTVA at La Posa selling their vehicles last year. One guy was selling solar panels. I think I saw a couple vehicles for sale at rtr if I’m recalling correctly.

In any event why drag it all that was?  Put it on the fiberglassrv.com forum

Thank you. Yes, I now understand that I can sell it on that forum and plan to do so.  Thank you!  I'm so happy I posted here and that I won't have to drive it out there.

Some pictures would be nice.  Somebody on this forum might be interested in it.  I doubt you'll have to haul it to RTR.

closeanuf said:
Some pictures would be nice.  Somebody on this forum might be interested in it.  I doubt you'll have to haul it to RTR.

Thank you.  I want to give the trailer a wash before I post pictures, but I'll come back here and make a note when I do get it listed.

You can sell on BLM land, but it requires a permit which takes 90 days or more to get, and you have to share 3% of your proceeds with the BLM. There is a ~$130 fee which is basically a minimum amount of the revenue share. If your amount is less, they keep the $130.

Not worth the hassle.

That's a cool trailer.

Zonie-- Thank you for this current information about selling on BLM land. When I made this query originally, nobody knew the answer. I'm not going to tow it anywhere though, just planning to sell from our place. But at least one of the previous posters asked me to put a link here when I got it listed, so I did.  

Thanks for the kind words and the solid information.

--Victoria

I see that now that you have posted it on the fiberglass RV classified site your asking price has increased by $1,100.00.  The price you posted here was $3,500, the price on Fiberglass RV is $4,600.

We had a camp member put his trailer near the front entrance of La Posa South with a for sale sign on it last year. Nobody dinged on him for $

Latest posts