RTR 2022

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KaLvan

Reaction score
Anyone know the dates for RTR in 2022?  I see on HOWA website that it is a go but no mention of the specific dates.  Thanks.

It’s always around the dates of the big tent show in Quartzsite. Not the exact dates but they have always overlapped.

This year the tent show is Jan 22-30.

I hear the rtr won’t be a camp together but more like the rtr of 2020 where the seminars were held at one place and people camped wherever on BLM land.

I imagine there will be plenty out at Scadden Wash which was the old rtr sites in the past.

The HOWA board has voted to have an RTR but a date and location are not yet announced. When they get it all confirmed it will be annouced. Anyway that was the word given this very morning as stated by a Howa staff member in an online meetup video chat.

Cammalu, the BLM has made it cost prohibitive to hold any large organized gatherings. The old style RTR is now just nostalgic memories. I know you know that even though you do not want to accept that it is so. Bob Wells did a video about that prior to the last in-person RTR, straight from him to your eyes and ears.

Wishing and hoping can't roll back the decisions of the BLM. It happened before the Covid situation got rolling on shutdowns.

I didn’t say anything about not accepting that or wishing at all. I don’t understand where you got that.

As a new comer, what costs did the BLM impose on large gatherings?? Could you post a link to the video in question, or the BLM page that describes the situation and the costs involved? Thanks!!!

Burning Man fees............

$6 per person per day................or approximately $500,000 BLM fee for the RTR

Bob said NO !

JJsimonds said:
 Could you post a link to the video in question, or the BLM page that describes the situation and the costs involved?  Thanks!!!

I would love to know the link to Bob's description too. I found this one that told me things I didn't know, being new myself.

Bob's video ............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAD-ho5eTg............(2 minutes in they talk BLM fees)

abnorm said:
Bob's video ............https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPAD-ho5eTg............(2 minutes in they talk BLM fees)

Thanks.... now, about that hump....

Wasn't Bob working on acquiring a big piece of land out there in Arizona to be able to host the RTR?

Did I just dream that up? 

Hmmmm..... :huh:

Still working on it. Bob is willing to contribute a large chunk of money to buy land. The problem is finding land that is suitable. If you know of any land that fits the requirements below please tell Bob or Suanne. From the HOWA website:

Acquired either through generous donations or outright purchase (as money allows). Thank you to Linda May for gifting HOWA with her 5 acres in Douglas, AZ. Linda’s land has already hosted Caravans during the Spring Quarter 2019.
Your contribution will go towards purchasing land for Homes On Wheels Alliance to:
  • Hold gatherings such as the Rubber Tramp Rendezvous,
  • Offer training for new nomads to learn the skills needed to succeed in the lifestyle,
  • Invite Caravan Groups to stay for a time,
  • Build out vans and trailers, recondition RVs to become safe and secure homes for those in need, and
  • Assist nomads to improve their current vehicle dwelling (build bed/cabinets, make mechanical repairs, install solar, sew bedding/curtains, etc.), and
  • Join with other organizations and individuals to hold gatherings in support of the larger mobile community.
If interested in helping us find land, here are some requirements:
  • Within an easy drive to town for supplies, groceries, water, trash disposal, mail/package delivery, and
  • Cell data service (Verizon, AT&T, or T-Mobile), and
  • Accessible, or could be made accessible to cars, vans, and long/large RVs, and
  • A good chance that the county allows or would approve the uses listed above.

If land is to be used for large gatherings, also need:
  • At least 100 acres, preferably more, OR
  • At least 30 acres within easy access to free dispersed camping for participants, AND
Longer Term Goal:
  • Land for long-term stay, like a rustic RV park, for “retired” nomads with a community center for water, trash disposal, laundry, in-door activities, showers,  bathrooms, RV dump
If you have researched and found some land that could work for HOWA, please email us a [email protected] to let us know about it.

Crazy as it sounds the town of Ticaboo Utah a mining town was bought a few years ago and turned into a recreational headquarters that with the decline of water recreation at Lake Powell rumors are it may be soon for sale. It is remote but with today's technology remote isn't as difficult as it used to be. School property (state lands} can also be leased in Utah with 99 year leases as long as proper improvements to the property are made. I believe something like $1200 per year for 40 acres maybe but that probably has changed but worth looking into. It might be possible to work with local reservations as well although water is always an issue on those. Just a few thoughts for consideration. We should be so lucky to have someplace like Rainbow's End with it's Care Center and facilities most of which if not all built with donations!

abnorm said:
Burning Man fees............

$6 per person per day................or approximately $500,000 BLM fee for the RTR

Bob said NO !
Did you know an unofficial Burning Man happened this year in the Black Rock Desert. 100% free, everyone just camped independently in the spot and time that Burning Man normally occurred at. Burning Man was officially cancelled this year so 20,000 people just showed up, and it went smooth without the huge LEO presence or fees.

Nipton, California is for sale.

Between Searchlight, NV and Baker, CA.

Probably not for winter RTRs.

Is phone service working in Quartzsite? Are there good areas for phone signal?

Service has been out in some areas of Yuma County for a while. I switched carriers, but still a problem in some areas.
-crofter

I'm in between Q and Ehrenberg. Visible is working great here. Speaking of Ehrenberg, I drove up the hill on the south side of the 10 and that old cement plant (if that's what it is) was up and running. I drove about half a mile past it and parked for a couple of minutes. I could hear it but it wasn't a deal killer if I decide to camp there sometime

I’ve got T-Mobile & an i-Phone. I do pretty well. My friend has an Android 5G phone @ has a much more. I’m in Yuma/Fortuna Hills & it’s the same thing. I’ve got service & she can hardly get anything. ( I’m not sure there’s some operator error..lol)