RTR 2018 - Wild Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
akrvbob said:
I have the singles gathering scheduled for Saturday. Is that right, or do you want to do it Friday?

Saturday is fine too...you had said Friday at 7 in the other thread. Either night is good for me so long as I know when it is!!!  :D

Planning on leaving San Francisco 1/4/18 drive to Bakersfield camp then wind my way East on 1/5/18 either towards Joshua tree or just beyond that night and will arrive in quartzite on the 7th of January. Driving alone in a roomy truck camper. would not mind company on the drive , but I do camp alone.

wagoneer said:
Planning on leaving San Francisco 1/4/18 drive to Bakersfield camp then wind my way East on 1/5/18 either towards Joshua tree or just beyond that night and will arrive in quartzite on the 7th of January. Driving alone in a roomy truck camper. would not mind company on the drive , but I do camp alone.

Hi There, Wagoneer! I'm sending you a private message

mert6706 said:

Not to far from me if I get my rig done in time and get the money to go my self I would have more than enough room to ride with me. You would have enough room for anything you needed to bring it will be my first RTR as well. I have a couple job interviews this next week wish me luck as I will need the money to get it doNE lol ::D

Made a go fund me page to try and raise money for my rig and to get this dream of mine going.

I am also not a killer lol. I will let you know as it comes together.

BeFree79 said:
Not to far from me if I get my rig done in time and get the money to go my self I would have more than enough room to ride with me. You would have enough room for anything you needed to bring it will be my first RTR as well. I have a couple job interviews this next week wish me luck as I will need the money to get it doNE lol ::D

Made a go fund me page to try and raise money for my rig and to get this dream of mine going.

I am also not a killer lol. I will let you know as it comes together.

Thanks!! I would, of course, chip in forgas etc. Are you aware I am in Pahrump and not Las Vegas? I could be in N Las Vegas though if you needed to meet me there. Best of luck with the job search. So glad I don't have to go through all that anxiety and rejection any more! I made a GoFundMe page for $$ to buy a car. No luck, no donations after a week, except for a couple of people really close to me.

Let's keep in touch!
mod edit, Email address removed.

Two things: BeFree79 --- if someone WAS a killer, they probably wouldn't say they were on a forum so ... (okay, humor over)
mert6706 --- Probably better to just send a private message with your email addy instead of putting it out publicly (members aren't the only ones that can see it ...)

Though I'm driving from Florida..I just have to say I hope each and Every person in this world could live and be as incredible as you are .. What's fantastic Healthy perspective.. I'm sure we will me you at the RTR!!!

Folks, this is just a friendly reminder that many of us have limited bandwidth so we ask that you carefully trim any quotes you include to the bare minimum. When you are reading on a phone, and you have to read the same post twice to get a new comment, it can be frustrating--especially if there are pictures!

Be kind and trim!! :)

Although... What if she showed up.. however.. I have a net tent.. a cot.. extra stuff..no reason she couldn't just pack up her food. And basics..? We would just have to make a connection zone .. or a Sign we all use on the rigs. So we find each other ...just a thought

Thirsty Boots Nomad said:
Two things: BeFree79 --- if someone WAS a killer, they probably wouldn't say they were on a forum so ... (okay, humor over)
                  mert6706 --- Probably better to just send a private message with your email addy instead of putting it out publicly (members aren't the only ones that can see it ...)
Ha ha ya my attempt at humor lol. I like the way you think ha ha

Attachments

• IMG_654101643944038.jpeg
    IMG_654101643944038.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 11
"Open Letter to Anyone Attending RTR in January:

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe!"

To all those who responded to my original plea titled "Wild Idea" on the forum, just a note to let you know I won't be attending RTR, at least with a tent. I've determined it's not a good idea for me to be out there alone without a vehicle, in case of emergency or "blow-down" caused by the wind. I'm also concerned about the cold at that time of year.

I still don't have a vehicle. I started a GoFundMe page hoping to purchase an old car I could camp in, but am not getting any response except for a niece and a cousin. If I can buy or rent a vehicle I still plan to attend, at least for a few of the lectures.

Still hoping to meet some of the kind folks who responded with advice and/or offers to help! Thanks again!

Will think happy thoughts for ya, Mert. Maybe you can make it happen somehow.

On a side note, I made the same offer to Mert...anyone who doesn't feel comfortable camping alone is more than welcome to join me. I'll have my big flamingo banner flying so y'all can see me.

mert6706 said:
Thanks for your suggestion. I didn't even check the bus 'cause I just assumed it wouldn't go to Quartzite. I'm surprised. Yes, I could climb the steps to board the bus but don't know how I would handle schlepping all the equipment to and from. I'm not very strong. Also wonder if they would let me take all that stuff. You are so kind to think out a plan for me and take the time to reply. I appreciate your input!

Hi mert, i quite probably may be riding the hound out to the rtr this year also and the thoughts I had was to ship my stuff to myself there, then maybe find a taxi or a ride the few miles out to the site.  I went investigating at the wallyworld this weekend, they have a 20°compact backpack for like $30_40 and a 2 person 4 season tent about the same, both of which em to be able to sandwich into a 5gal bucket pretty easy, toss in a 2nd bucket for some food, roll of tp , foam strip and trashbags and youre "good to go" lol, will roll my clothes and carry them and phone on bus with me in a backpack.  There is a uhaul there too, according to google street view, and I'm pretty sure they would let us ship it there since well most likely be using them to ship it back

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe! (From my original posting titled "Wild Idea.")

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays whichever you observe. Just wanted to send greetings to all those folks who were so very helpful to me when I was trying to work out a way to attend RTR. Per my previous message, I won't make it this year. Maybe next! I'm so sorry I won't be meeting the special people who took the time to contact me and answer my questions. When I am able to get a vehicle I'll be chasing you all over the Happy Trails I hope to wander!

Have a wonderful rendezvous.

mert6706 said:
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and Happy Holidays...

Mert, all the best to you!  As to travel, I've always found that planning/anticipating with pleasure
any adventure is more than half the best part of it.  But I am sorry it didn't work out for you this year.
Not fond of large gatherings myself, I am not likely RTR material, but DO expect eventually to meet
some of the friends I've made on this forum.  Hold onto your dreams!

(I remember your kind wishes a while back when the Redwood Complex Fire was just over the mountain
from me.   It meant a lot...)

All the best & good wishes for the coming New Year,
:) Charlotte