RTR 2018 - Wild Idea

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everyone who has read your post if pulling for you to find a way, Mert! You sound delightful. I see it is only a little over 200 miles from Vegas to Q, so I bet someone will be able to help you between now and January. Most of us have no idea where we will be coming from when it is time to go to RTR. And since most of us live with little extra space that can be a stopper too. If you are able to be fairly independent once you get to the encampment, that would also reassure others.

I bet if we know you are coming, then a few folks could help with some of the extras you might need when you get there. Like a bucket and some liners for your personal potty and a few gallons of water, etc. I bet folks could assure you a tent spot near the gathering place (where Bob usually has a privacy tent set up as a clean-up=after-yourself toilet.

Your idea to pile up what you'd need as see how much room it takes is a very good idea. Probably scare the heck out of your daughter though. LOL

Let's keep this bumped to the first pages of the forum so more people see it.. my post should send it back up.

WriterMs said:
Everyone who has read your post if pulling for you to find a way, Mert! You sound delightful. I see it is only a little over 200 miles from Vegas to Q, so I bet someone will be able to help you between now and January. Most of us have no idea where we will be coming from when it is time to go to RTR. And since most of us live with little extra space that can be a stopper too. If you are able to be fairly independent once you get to the encampment, that would also reassure others.

I bet if we know you are coming, then a few folks could help with some of the extras you might need when you get there. Like a bucket and some liners for your personal potty and a few gallons of water, etc. I bet folks could assure you a tent spot near the gathering place (where Bob usually has a privacy tent set up as a clean-up=after-yourself toilet.

Your idea to pile up what you'd need as see how much room it takes is a very good idea. Probably scare the heck out of your daughter though. LOL

Let's keep this bumped to the first pages of the forum so more people see it.. my post should send it back up.

Thanks WriterMs! Does your name mean you're a writer? I am, too, at least I now feel I can call myself one since I recently received my first rejection letter! Yes, I can be independent at Quartzite if I can get there! One person has said they can take my equipment, but I would still have to get it to a town about 2 hours away from me. If it can be on a weekend I will see if I can find someone to haul my tent, etc. I thought about the space issue for folks who might be willing to take me but wouldn't have room for my stuff. It's a concern.  I love that, as of this date, folks have no idea where they might be traveling from to get to Quartzite. Now, that's my idea of freedom!! It's calling to me LOUD AND CLEAR!!

Mert, just keep bumping the thread every once in a while.

Most of us nomads have a way of setting our plans in jello - no one makes definite plans this far in advance and if they do, they're still subject to change.

BTW, if you don't feel you'll be able to carry all your stuff on a bus by yourself, check out the cost of shipping some of it to Quartzite. There's a store in town that receives packages and mail for anyone for a really small fee. They receive from UPS, Fedex and the USPS although they charge extra for parcels from the post office because they have to go get them and lug them back to the store. Store is 'Quiet Times at 90 E Main, zip 85346.

If you can get you and your stuff to Quartzite, there's any one of a bunch of us that can pick you up in town.

I'll be in the St George area of Utah for the winter, assuning I can find work. I'm hoping to head down for a few days to the RTR so would be happy to give you a ride if you can get close to me. Too far out to know days yet until I see the schedule and know what I'll be working, but I'll have room

Thanks so much for the very kind offer! ! Where would I need to meet you? Would you have room for camping equipment--tent, sleep bag, etc.?

Not that it needs a bump as our Desert ranger is on top of it!!
Rejection letters and publishing. Agents are sharks, soulless marketing self absorbed subhuman scum. Those are the real, but second tier agents. Beware of freelance agents and hold your cash tight. No real agent requests money to evaluate. Real Agents like Donald Maass of Maass agencies New York are jaded, wounded souls hoping to maintain a revenue stream. Don will be fine, he has two of the top sellers in the industry. But he himself will tell you. He isn't looking for good or even the next Catcher in the Rye, he is looking for what will sell in todays market. It has to sell. It has to be saleable. It has to have an audience and a script potential helps a great deal.
So my dear brave soul. Write because you love it. Take all the rejection letters, be happy you get a physical letter, and put them on the manuscript outline whiteboard. Then keep writing.

Bob (Robert Dugoni) tells a great agent story and he did exactly what I am suggesting. He got a full manuscript request and then waited almost a year to hear back. The agent never got back to him. He waited as submitting multiple full MSS to different agents is kind of frowned on. When he queried the requesting agent seven months later he learned the agent had died. So he sent out more queries and finally got picked up. Every best selling author tells a similar story and they are all true. Hence my position on agents and why Harry Potters Mom self publishes.

Scott7022 said:
I hope you're kidding?

Sucker!

Of course the jist of the jab was that most of us old farts on here are a bit removed from pop-culture and kiddie fantasy stuff...oh and the topic is Mert getting to Quartzite...(Bob made me say that!)

Scott, consider your cage 'rattled'! (and you know, I ain't right either...)

:p

mert6706 said:
Open Letter to Anyone Attending RTR in January:

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe!

I'm tied down to a rental lease until January 1 . Sick and tired of never having enough $$  left over for groceries, medications, haircuts, clothes, shoes, etc. Lots of folks out there know what I'm talking about. Following the rules hasn't gottten me anywhere but STUCK!!

I don't have a vehicle, not even a car, nor the means to purchase one.  But where there's a will there's a way and I'm determined to adopt the llifestyle ASAP. Once I don't have to pay rent I can find a way to buy something.

I'm studying the forum, the videos, blogs etc and am going to do it, if I have to start out in a tent. (That wouldn't be bad, I've always loved tent camping,) but Bob has said the wind and blowing dirt can make tent camping impossible. He has also stated tents don't last out there.

Anyway, I have wracked my brain trying to figure a way to atted RTR for a few days and talk to all the great folks out there, look at different setups and find out how they cope with issues of hygiene, comfort, privacy, finances, etc. The videos are fantastic sources of information, and The Forums give great advice, and I'm grateful for the access, but they don't allow me to see for myself or meet you folks in person.

Just wondering if there's anybody out there willing to take me along to RTR if I bring my own set up and share in the price of gas, etc. I know it's a long shot. You don't know me, or anything about me. I'd take up a fair bit of space with tent, mattess, sleeping bag, food containers, etc. And, I would need transport going and coming back to Nevada.That may be a tall order if you're heading out in another direction.  I could be picked up and delivered back to either Pahrump or North Las Vegas, both Nevada.

Full Disclosure:

I promise I'm not a serial killer!

I have one daughter who teaches high school sciences and a grandson currently studying architecture. They live in North Las Vegas. I lost my son two years ago.

I'm 78 years young, curious and cheerfullly flexible, get along fine with all kinds of folks, love single life, the outdoors, the desert,  camping, dogs, cooking, baking, writing,  reading, music especilly blues, college and NFL football--I've been a "cheesehead" for 70 years. Grew up in the Midwest where folks are kind, down to earth, neighborly, compassionate, generous, independent. I'd like to hang out with people who share the values I was raised on, who still salute the flag, practice the Golden Rule and abhor where our country has gone in the last fifty years. Love sitting around a campfire and sharing food, thoughts, philosphy, etc. I don't, however, enjoy debating politics or religion.

I carry oxygen, and I'm kind of handicapped in that some fool came along and lowered the ground and the floors, so I can't reach them anymore. I'm in good health in spite of those issues; my doctor says I'll live to a hundred at the rate I'm going. So I don't want to sit here and stagnate. I want that freedom Bob and the other nomads I see on Utube are so passionate about--I want to control my life instead of having it control me! As George Jones sang, "I don't need no rocking chair!"

I think you would most likely love me, unless you're a Chicago Bears fan, then we might have to agree to disagree!

Thanks for your time and attention reading my mini-novel here!

Hoping against hope, I am
--edit,  I edited out her personal info please PM her if you can help.  thanks highdesertranger
BUMP

mert6706 said:
Thanks so much for the very kind offer! ! Where would I need to meet you? Would you have room for camping equipment--tent, sleep bag, etc.?

No idea about meeting up location yet as it really depends on where I'll be. I would definitely have room for camping equipment etc. Send me a PM and I will stay in touch and we can talk specifics closer to the time

mert6706 said:

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe!

I'm tied down to a rental lease until January 1 . Sick and tired of never having enough $$  left over for groceries, medications, haircuts, clothes, shoes, etc. Lots of folks out there know what I'm talking about. Following the rules hasn't gottten me anywhere but STUCK!!

I don't have a vehicle, not even a car, nor the means to purchase one.  But where there's a will there's a way and I'm determined to adopt the llifestyle ASAP. Once I don't have to pay rent I can find a way to buy something.

I'm studying the forum, the videos, blogs etc and am going to do it, if I have to start out in a tent. (That wouldn't be bad, I've always loved tent camping,) but Bob has said the wind and blowing dirt can make tent camping impossible. He has also stated tents don't last out there.

Anyway, I have wracked my brain trying to figure a way to atted RTR for a few days and talk to all the great folks out there, look at different setups and find out how they cope with issues of hygiene, comfort, privacy, finances, etc. The videos are fantastic sources of information, and The Forums give great advice, and I'm grateful for the access, but they don't allow me to see for myself or meet you folks in person.

Just wondering if there's anybody out there willing to take me along to RTR if I bring my own set up and share in the price of gas, etc. I know it's a long shot. You don't know me, or anything about me. I'd take up a fair bit of space with tent, mattess, sleeping bag, food containers, etc. And, I would need transport going and coming back to Nevada.That may be a tall order if you're heading out in another direction.  I could be picked up and delivered back to either Pahrump or North Las Vegas, both Nevada.

Full Disclosure:

I promise I'm not a serial killer!

I have one daughter who teaches high school sciences and a grandson currently studying architecture. They live in North Las Vegas. I lost my son two years ago.

I'm 78 years young, curious and cheerfullly flexible, get along fine with all kinds of folks, love single life, the outdoors, the desert,  camping, dogs, cooking, baking, writing,  reading, music especilly blues, college and NFL football--I've been a "cheesehead" for 70 years. Grew up in the Midwest where folks are kind, down to earth, neighborly, compassionate, generous, independent. I'd like to hang out with people who share the values I was raised on, who still salute the flag, practice the Golden Rule and abhor where our country has gone in the last fifty years. Love sitting around a campfire and sharing food, thoughts, philosphy, etc. I don't, however, enjoy debating politics or religion.

I carry oxygen, and I'm kind of handicapped in that some fool came along and lowered the ground and the floors, so I can't reach them anymore. I'm in good health in spite of those issues; my doctor says I'll live to a hundred at the rate I'm going. So I don't want to sit here and stagnate. I want that freedom Bob and the other nomads I see on Utube are so passionate about--I want to control my life instead of having it control me! As George Jones sang, "I don't need no rocking chair!"

I think you would most likely love me, unless you're a Chicago Bears fan, then we might have to agree to disagree!

Thanks for your time and attention reading my mini-novel here!

Hoping against hope, I am
--edit,  I edited out her personal info please PM her if you can help.  thanks highdesertranger

Bump

Howdy! It's been a while since I've been on this forum; I've been taking a break from vandwelling to work a seasonal gig out here in west Texas. I plan to go east around Christmas to visit family, then come out to Quartzsite in early January for the gathering, possibly picking up a friend or two in Grand Junction Colorado and passing thru Las Vegas on my way to Q. Plans are still tentative at this point. I plan to continue south into Baja California afterwards, though a quick run up to Vegas & back wouldn't be out of the question. I've done dozens of rideshares over the past few years, and I've never had a serious problem with any of them.

By the way, I stayed in a tent when I attended the 2016 gathering, it was not hard at all. Colder than average temperatures but the winds were pretty mild and my $30 Walmart special tent didn't have any issues.

mert6706 said:

I am not yet a Rubber Tramp, I''m a Wannabe

I'm 78 years young, curious and cheerfullly flexible, get along fine with all kinds of folks, love single life, the outdoors, the desert,  camping, dogs, cooking, baking, writing,  reading, music especilly blues, college and NFL football-- I don't want to sit here and stagnate. I want that freedom Bob and the other nomads I see on Utube are so passionate about--I want to control my life instead of having it control me! As George Jones sang, "I don't need no rocking chair!"

This thread is a fine example of the outpouring of good will here on CRVL, and I'm confident that you'll be at "RTR 2018" Mert. The spirit of your bio is one that dwells in us all...Welcome to the Tribe

Mert, if you would contact me off thread...pm me...please, young lady!   :)

Here's hoping that progress is being made on your behalf Mert, these replies lead me to believe so. Good Luck & Happy Trails!