RPM to Speed, question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrayWhale

Reaction score
In stop an go traffic, I'd rather use more engine braking (until I upgrade my brakes). 

I'd like to keep the shifter in "2" instead of "D" to use more engine braking.  I'd rather not go into 3rd (w/OD off), unless it's a long stretch of road with 40+ speed limits.

Question #1, what is the maximum speed that I should go in 2nd gear and still keep it under 3000 RPM (as there's no tachometer)?

Question #2, I've been manually shifting my V8 Trans Am with an auto, for almost 16 years now (mostly city driving) to not go into OD/4th and I usually shift and lock to "2" when knowing it's lots of stop & go. I think this is what saved the original transmission up to this point right now; a 19 year old car that's been beaten on a lot.  But the shifter is on the hump in the middle vs. the shifter at the steering column on the van. I'd figure that the van's shifter is not as rugged/durable, right?

2000 Dodge B1500 Conversion 5.3L V8 w/stock rims/tires.  Thanks.

GrayWhale said:
In stop an go traffic, I'd rather use more engine braking (until I upgrade my brakes). 

I'd like to keep the shifter in "2" instead of "D" to use more engine braking.  I'd rather not go into 3rd (w/OD off), unless it's a long stretch of road with 40+ speed limits.

Question #1, what is the maximum speed that I should go in 2nd gear and still keep it under 3000 RPM (as there's no tachometer)?

Question #2, I've been manually shifting my V8 Trans Am with an auto, for almost 16 years now (mostly city driving) to not go into OD/4th and I usually shift and lock to "2" when knowing it's lots of stop & go. I think this is what saved the original transmission up to this point right now; a 19 year old car that's been beaten on a lot.  But the shifter is on the hump in the middle vs. the shifter at the steering column on the van. I'd figure that the van's shifter is not as rugged/durable, right?

I'm not sure I fully understand your question here, but if you want to play with holding gears, ie second, I highly recommend you get a tachometer installed. I used to play with some of the older cars, including a 78 Trans Am. I consider holding RPM's of over 3000 for long periods of time not healthy for your engine. You will also use a lot more fuel than necessary when holding gears back.
About the column shifter, that should be plenty tough, but as with anything mechanical, the more you use it, the more it will wear.