roof vent vibrating closed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyDogs

Reaction score
Am I missing something? I installed the Fan-Fan, and vent cover... and, during the hot parts of the day I like having it open to draw out the hot air when I am driving. HOWEVER.. it seems that road vibration is causing it to self-close over a short period of time.

It also does the ge-ge-ge-ge-ge when I manually close it.. you know, that little skip/vibration on the track. We all know that sound. lol

I am trying to come up with something clever to just narrow the gap in the track (or add to the pin?).. to keep the vibration down.. thinking this will solve the self-closing problem?

I can't be the only one with this issue... right?

If it's going down the knob must be turning too. Maybe a small bungie cord that you wrap around the knob and hook to something else to prevent the knob from turning.

I've never had a fantastic fan but in 42 years of driving vans I've never had a fan that doesn't rattle itself closed on the road.

The vent cover helps somewhat by eliminating the wind forcing the cover closed but won't stop it completely.

Just the nature of the beast!

You could install it backwards. Then the wind would keep it open! :D

The knob on my Maxxair fan pushes in to lock, pulls out to turn.  Does the Fantastic Fan not do the same?

Our Fantastic vent fan closes by itself. The roads where we live are atrocious, and the vibration is significant. In the summer, we leave the fan on exhaust 24/7 and it shuts off when the vent lid closes down to a certain level. So we just listen for the fan-if is running, the vent is open. If it's off, the vent has closed by itself. It happens once or twice a month and it's not enough of a problem for us to do anything about it.
Ted

You may break the cover or bend the metal arms if you drive a lot and drive fast with the vent opened. We finally gave up and keep ours closed but keep all of the windows opened.

ShinyMiles.jpg
vent cover- so not as concerned by driving with vent open.

I am thinking of finding a piece of thin tubing to slit longways and put it over one side of the lift-track. Reduce bouncing, but not impede movement..?

Attachments

• ShinyMiles.jpg
    ShinyMiles.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 2
I think that split tube idea would probably work.  Just check at both ends of the tube from time to time to see if it is damaging the points it contacts.  The speed you drive a may influence this. 

Does your van have windows in the rear doors that tilt out ?   If not some trips to wrecking yards may find you a pair from a Van like yours.  They could be installed in your rear doors and they can help to get rid of a lot of hot air in the Van.   That's what I did with my Van.  With both open a lot of air goes through. 

Just a thought.

Putts said:
If it's going down the knob must be turning too. Maybe a small bungie cord that you wrap around the knob and hook to something else to prevent the knob from turning.

Yep- ultimately, that was my solution. Mini-bungee cord hooked into knob, and gently stretched to ceiling light fixture. Poof. Problem solved.
(Thanks Putts.)

I have used the small bungee cord trick. I have a Camco vent cover so it is not wind pushing it down, it is road vibration.

Opening to max will result in a failure of the lift lever mechanism. The vibration will mess with the gears and bushing instead of closing the vent..

Get a vent cover. Don't open to max. Use a bungee cord that allows movement of the lever, but keeps it from closing.

I started with the fact that I Have a vent cover... (lol - bought it before I even owned a fan)
Why does everyone keep thinking I don't.??

Also discovered that the mounting/axle screw in the knob had walked loose.. was another contributing factor.

See?
RRack.jpg

LOL

I swear, y'all... sometimes I wonder. ;)

Attachments

• RRack.jpg
    RRack.jpg
    641.1 KB · Views: 4