Roof Vent - Tips, Tricks, Advice?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bandaidqueen

Reaction score
My plan is to install a fan (Fantastic or Maxxair) above the bed which will be in the back end of my van, and a basic vent just behind the bulkhead, so that air could circulate in through one and out the other. I don't have money for a fan, much less the electrical/solar to power it, but I was thinking about going ahead with just the vent so I could at least get a little bit of air circulation for now. This is the vent I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=Z020S2RHH3D696XRHJRH. Just wondering if anyone had feedback on this vent (or any vent for that matter) and any tips on installation (cutting a hole in the roof! Scary!). Thank you so much!

bandaidqueen said:
My plan is to install a fan (Fantastic or Maxxair) above the bed which will be in the back end of my van, and a basic vent just behind the bulkhead, so that air could circulate in through one and out the other. I don't have money for a fan, much less the electrical/solar to power it, but I was thinking about going ahead with just the vent so I could at least get a little bit of air circulation for now. This is the vent I was looking at: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...42e-e8f213ef368b&pf_rd_r=Z020S2RHH3D696XRHJRH. Just wondering if anyone had feedback on this vent (or any vent for that matter) and any tips on installation (cutting a hole in the roof! Scary!). Thank you so much!

So far, I haven't seen the need for a roof vent. It all depends on where you travel and how you like to sleep.

I have the OPOLAR usb rechargeable fan, position it where it blows on my face, and leave the windows open about an inch or so. (My front windows have rain shields.)

You might try this first and see how it works for you. The fan will always come in handy!

the HENG'S style fan dont move much air compared to the amount of electricity they draw since the fan is just hanging there and the air can and does swirll around and get sucked back in.

there are solar vent fans that are not much more than the vent you posted.
https://www.amazon.com/ECO-WORTHY-S...keywords=solar+vent+fan&qid=1568683581&sr=8-5

they dont push a whole lot of air, but they keep pulling the warm air out so they can really help it not getting hot and they dont use ANY electricity from your battery so you can let it run all day without worry

the vent you listed can work good if there is a little breeze and you can park so when it opens it is facing like a scoop

i had one simalar to it in an old dodge van and it helped along with opening differnt windows depending on the conditions. after many years i bought a battery operated (8"D"cells) camping fan similar to this...
https://www.walmart.com/ip/O2COOL-1...MIsaHJ3tvW5AIVBBx9Ch2yzQUcEAQYASABEgIUTvD_BwE

and just tied it up against the vent to blow air in or out. then a few more years later i picked up a small solar panel, like 15 watts and hacked the fan to run direct off the panel. that worked great, when the sun was out it really moved some air. it is still sitting on my old camper on property in colorado as a vent/circulation fan to prevent mold while i am gone. everytime i get back there it is still chugging along when the sun it out

what part of the country are you in, probably some one on the forum might be able to help you instal a vent. drop me a line if youre in south west oregon. cutting holes in roofs is only scarry the first few times you do it...lol

Thanks everyone for the tips! I am very fortunate to be the receptionist at a large fire protection company, we have a metal fabrication shop in the back where they cut pipe all day. I spoke with the head of the shop and he is going to help me install the vent. They have something called a plasma cutter which should make easy work of it. Hopefully this Saturday we'll get it done. I have a bulkhead in my van, which hinders air flow from the front windows (but I also have those rain guards and love them!). It does get VERY hot back there after a few minutes with no circulation. I'm in the Atlanta area (A.K.A. Hotlanta), it's still pretty hot and humid here, but should be cooling down in a few weeks. I think the vent, combined with a battery powered fan, should hold me over until next summer, and hopefully by then I'll have some solar panels and a good Fantastic or MaxxAir fan to keep things cool.

Glad you found someone to do it for you.  I will say that when I built my van, I worried the most about cutting a hole in perfectly good roof.  Turned out cutting and installing the fan was the EASIEST thing I did when I built out. I used a hand held Bosch cutting tool that worked wonderfully.

plasma cutter blows a Lot of Hot sparks -
a pan with water inside up against roof
where its getting cut -

Glad you found someone, my only advice would be not to place it directly over the bed as at some point it will leak as they all do eventually.
Plastic dome material can decay from the sun, silicon around roof edge can pull apart simply brushing a tree over the roof at which point you don't notice until the first heavy shower comes along.

It's one of the first things you learn in boatbuilding fit outs too. just saying.

Over the bed is the best location. 40+ years of RV use and Zero roof vent leaks.

A properly installed roof vent will not leak.

^^^That is the key, properly installed. Using the proper sealants is what does it. It may cost more to do it the right way but it lasts. Butyl tape and dicor are what is on mine.

So it looks like I won't be able to get help from work after all. My sister and I will have to tackle it ourselves with a drill and jigsaw. :) Thank goodness for my sister, not only does she have all the tools she has been a TREMENDOUS help in the whole build. Wish us luck. We will tackle the roof vent and building a simple bedframe in two weeks.