Roof Vent Question

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Almost There

Reaction score
I'm just about at the stage of putting in the interior roof panels. I've framed out the spot for the roof vent but have a question about the interior trim on the roof vents.

Can someone measure their vent trim for me and give me a distance from the outside of the trim to the vertical part please.

I don't want to end up with a half inch unfinished wood all the way around because I didn't get the ceiling panels close enough to the opening!

TIA

AT I'm trying hard but not figuring out exactly what your asking for.

If this helps the 14 X 14 Opening for the vent should be just that all the way through the roof. The trim ring will fit into that opening.

Now a new trim ring has more than enough thickness for a very thick roof. Usually if your going to use that it will need to be trimmed down, and that's simply a matter of placing it up in and measuring the amount that hangs down past the inside roof line.

MikeRuth said:
AT I'm trying hard but not figuring out exactly what your asking for.

If this helps the 14 X 14 Opening for the vent should be just that all the way through the roof. The trim ring will fit into that opening.

Now a new trim ring has more than enough thickness for a very thick roof. Usually if your going to use that it will need to be trimmed down, and that's simply a matter of placing it up in and measuring the amount that hangs down past the inside roof line.

Let's try again!! :D

I've framed out a 14 1/2 by 14 1/2 inch opening with 1 x 3's for the roof vent. The roof vent won't be installed until I get stateside.

I want to finish the interior roof now.

The trim 'ring' (yes it's square... :rolleyes: ) fits up inside the roof vent once it's been installed. It extends out on each side to cover the edge of the roof panel.

Here's a pic of the trim (they call it a garnish??)

https://www.rvpartscanada.com/index...id=538&zenid=e5fbf0885da7f62eec702f1e9f5e6247

I need to bring the roof panels close enough that the 'garnish' will cover the edges without them interfering with the installation of the vent.

It would be so easy if the vent were already in place but the Canadian prices are just horrendous so I need to know how what the garnish dimensions are.

You want a 14 x 14 opening. That's the standard, and that's what the garnish is meant to fit.

But, if it helps, the inside of my garnish measures 13 3/8". The outside flange of the garnish measures 16 1/4". The flange on the garnish is roughly 1 1/2" wide.

You still want a 14 x 14 opening.

TMG51 said:
You want a 14 x 14 opening. That's the standard, and that's what the garnish is meant to fit.

But, if it helps, the inside of my garnish measures 13 3/8". The outside flange of the garnish measures 16 1/4". The flange on the garnish is roughly 1 1/2" wide.

You still want a 14 x 14 opening.

Thanks, it was that 1 1/2" measurement of the flange that I wanted! The other measurements are handy as well since I'll have to play with the math to make sure that the flange covers the edges of the roof panels once it's installed.

Thanks again.

FYI I have a MAXAIR unit, my trim ring "garnish" is 13.5 square and has a 1 3/8" flange measured from the edge of the flange back to the wall of the ring.

Isn't GARNISH a food? LOL

MikeRuth said:
Isn't GARNISH a food? LOL

My thoughts exactly... :)

I went looking for a picture of what it was I was trying to describe and found it named that! Never heard it called that before - we used to just call them the 'inner trim ring' but since it's square I guess someone had to think up a name for it that didn't include reference to a round 'ring'... :rolleyes:

I've also used 'garnish' to describe a patch of pubic hair.

Isn't the English language fun.