roof vent adapter necessary for ridges?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cptnsunshinee

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to cut and install my first roof vent! I have a chevy express and have been a bit unclear on how to handle the ridges... I came across someone using an adapter and am wondering if this is the best / easiest way to address this?

I know this is not the same model  but just to get an idea... 

promaster roof vent adapter ebay

Thanks,
Kara

how I have never seen one of those. great idea but kinda pricey. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
how I have never seen one of those.  great idea but kinda pricey.  highdesertranger

yeah I'd prefer not to spend the money and I'm not even positive they make one for my model van.
do you think just an extra layer of putty tape in the lower sections would seal it well?

My van has ridges like that and I just laid down extra layers of putty to make up the difference. 2 years and a lot of rain later I have not had any leaks.

its not necessary as extra layer of putty will do just fine. but if funds are plenty, go for it.

Just read the installation instructions for that adapter. More work than using the Camco putty tape without an adapter.

Pay more and work more.

highdesertranger said:
how I have never seen one of those.  great idea but kinda pricey.  highdesertranger

Even stranger, the PM has a raised fan-mounting pad near the front that can be cut with no ribs so the adapter is unnecessary.  Maybe the adapter is only for mounting in the back where there is no pad.

wayne49 said:
Just read the installation instructions for that adapter. More work than using the Camco putty tape without an adapter.
Pay more and work more.

The adapter and the designer (Hein) are well-regarded on the Sprinter and PM forums.  Perhaps there are niche applications where it's worth it.