Roll up doors to swing doors

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aabreu

Reaction score
I'm researching box trucks. Cube vans. Cutback vans. 
Anyway, most seem to have roll up doors. This cuts into headroom and space for insulation. 
Is converting to swing doors a common thing. Is it expensive?  When I search online I see sites about converting the other way. Could trading with someone be an option to save money?  

AA

Unless stealth is critical, take off the whole back door and frame in a stud wall with a standard RV door and windows.

the hinges and locks are cheap. what I am having a hard time finding is the extruded aluminum edge molding. yes you could pull the doors off another vehicle if you could find the proper size but you still need the molding for the box. highdesertranger

Yes. Stealth is important. I wonder if the box manufacturer would make the modifications.

There are tons of roll up doors. Not so many swing doors for some reason. Wouldn't want to spend an arm to convert it. Isn't there such a thing as a box truck scrap yard? Time to check google.

AA

yes there are medium and heavy truck scrap yards. one of the reasons you see more roll-up doors on box trucks is because most are made for deliveries in cities. with a roll up door you need less clearance to access the back. so in tight spots you can still access the cargo. to open both swing out doors you need about 16 feet and you can't pull up tight to a building. highdesertranger

Aabreu said:
I'm researching box trucks. Cube vans. Cutback vans. 
Anyway, most seem to have roll up doors. This cuts into headroom and space for insulation. 
Is converting to swing doors a common thing. Is it expensive?  When I search online I see sites about converting the other way. Could trading with someone be an option to save money?  

AA

I agree, most box vans and cube vans have roll ups. however, there are a number of them out there with swing barn type doors. I highly recommend you focus on those. In february of this year I purchased a box van with swing doors and solid metal roof (w attic) and then in April I purchased a step van with swing doors. I'm guessing maybe 5% of vehicles on the market will have the swing doors and you most likely will have to travel to buy your vehicle

I had my best luck searching three sites: Craiglist (try one of the global search sites that searches the entire USA), Commercial truck trader site, and tooltrucks.com. you'll most likely have your best results on commercial truck trader which has the biggest collection and best sorting options. 

I'd also recommend you consider step vans or at least research them as an option. when I began my search they were not even on my radar, but I sold my box van in April and switched to a step van and couldn't be happier (it is a lot like a ClassA RV)

ps. I've seen several videos and read blogs of people removing rollup doors to replace them with barn doors. you'll find that every person hates the experience and it is much much more difficult that expected (they say you have to remove each panel of the door desperately and the spring mechanism is scary dangerous to "release" and remove. they say only the advanced mechanically inclined should attempt it. it was enough to scare me away from buying one.

7wanders said:
.... and the spring mechanism is scary dangerous to "release" and remove. they say only the advanced mechanically inclined should attempt it. it was enough to scare me away from buying one.

7w, somebody probably saved you from an injury with that advice!

You really need to know how to deal with that spring loaded torsion bar, there are some SERIOUS forces in that thing.

You either need the right tools, some help, and experience, or a high tolerance for pain and some good insurance.

I'm no expert, but I have worked on a few. If you don't know what you are doing, you can wake up a monster!

highdesertranger said:
.... what I am having a hard time finding is the extruded aluminum edge molding.  yes you could pull the doors off another vehicle if you could find the proper size but you still need the molding for the box. 

Describe what you are looking for, is it angle, c-channel, curve, or something else?

There is a salvage yard near me with all kinds of aluminum strips, angles, channels, etc...but the curved molding I'm not sure about.

Just a few of the pieces around my place....

2017-07-18 15.27.03.jpg

Attachments

• 2017-07-18 15.27.03.jpg
    2017-07-18 15.27.03.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 15
it's like a wide h-channel. the channel part hold the inner and outer door skins and the hanging leg seals against the out skin of the box. almost like the 3rd one from the left in your pic but with longer legs. plus in your pic the hanging leg is in the wrong orientation. highdesertranger

I think I understand, something like this:

2017-07-18 18.45.35.jpg

I will head over to the place near me tomorrow, its only a mile away, and see what they might have...what thickness would you need for the interior dimension?

I have no idea if they will have something like that, but I always enjoy going there....they have all kinds of neat stuff.

Attachments

• 2017-07-18 18.45.35.jpg
    2017-07-18 18.45.35.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 7
So...no luck finding h-channel at this place here where I live...

They have got a LOT of stuff tho....

IMG_20170719_131517.jpgIMG_20170719_131526.jpg

IMG_20170719_131743.jpgIMG_20170719_132230.jpg

IMG_20170719_131652.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20170719_131517.jpg
    IMG_20170719_131517.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170719_131526.jpg
    IMG_20170719_131526.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20170719_131743.jpg
    IMG_20170719_131743.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20170719_132230.jpg
    IMG_20170719_132230.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20170719_131652.jpg
    IMG_20170719_131652.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 8
Don't know if this helps, but this guy gives a walkthough of his converted box van. It appears he made some sort of box cover to contain the roll-up door.

It should be possible... has anyone thought of just building a ramp door like the toy haulers have instead? That way you could have a fold out porch when ever you wanted. It would also be easier then barn doors because you would only have to match one door and not 2.... the hardest part would be the torsion spring on the bottom but you can always for go the spring and just strong arm the door to close it

Latest posts