Rodents

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
gcal said:
Everything we heard and read warned us off poisons. If the thing dies in the rv, you will get a hell of a smell for weeks unless you tear the whole thing apart to find it. If it gets out and dies, you will kill some predator that scavenges it, which would have killed hundreds more of the vermin if it had lived.

One can get poison blocks as part of a trap (mouse gets in, can't get out.)  My problem with poison baits is it is an attractant.

highdesertranger said:
spiff I don't know about the vermin,  but I know I can't stand smell of those fu fu dryer sheets.  guess they would keep me away and some say I am vermin.  highdesertranger

Repelled by dryer sheet smell = vermin  :D 

I can't stand the smell of new dryer sheets either.  But their smell is unnoticeable after a week or so.  When I first put them out, the beagle avoids the camper, after a week he just curls up next to them.

I can't say that they work, only that I was told so, have them in my camper, and do not have a rodent problem.  Repel elephants too; never had an elephant in my camper  :p 

LeeRevell said:
Find what is drawing them and eliminate it.  Food left out?  Secure it in metal containers.  They will chew through plastic.

In the fall, mice are attracted to a dwelling for nesting.
Inconvenient and difficult to stuff my mattress into a metal can  :p 

-- Spiff

Christmas light strings under the vehicle keeps them away as well, or so the campground hosts say, and do... I've done it with no issues, but then we are not out in the wild that much. LED's use very little energy, and they have those little solar powered strings at HF, but not very bright.

Peppermint oil is supposed to work and a good friend of mine swears that llama wool also repels mice....

i had a lovely coleman cedar popup, never had mice. then after a repair at a camper store, which cracked the bottom liner unbeknownst to me, i opened it up one spring to find a COLONY of mice...literally a few hundred of em.  they had destroyed all cushions, the canvas walls and screens, it was a total loss
sigh

Latest posts