Roadtrek - ground clearance issues?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mayble

Reaction score
For those of you with Roadtreks - do you ever have trouble with low ground clearance? 
Ever have to pass up an inviting back road or boondocking spot because of uneven (or nonexistent) roads?  What about scraping bottom on driveways, speed bumps, etc?
I've been coveting one of these since the first time I saw one, but I do wish they weren't quite so low to the ground.

mayble said:
For those of you with Roadtreks - do you ever have trouble with low ground clearance? 
Ever have to pass up an inviting back road or boondocking spot because of uneven (or nonexistent) roads?  What about scraping bottom on driveways, speed bumps, etc?
I've been coveting one of these since the first time I saw one, but I do wish they weren't quite so low to the ground.

I have a 19' Roadtrek Independent and I have no problems with my parents' horribly washed out dirt road. Of course, I never even considered that I couldn't or shouldn't do it...
My van is the first one I've ever driven let alone owned.

I have owned several vans in my life and only this one Roadtrek.  The one thing that hangs low on a Roadtrek is the dump hose enclosure (at least on mine).  It is behind the front drivers side wheel so it is easy to check (getting in and out of the seat, not so much. :p  There are plastic tanks under there too. These are usually and inch or two higher the the bottom sidewall of the Roadtrek.  Be mindfull of large rocks (any vehicle) as these can put a hole in the oil pan or gas tank.  I have had it on several dirt roads (BLM) and National Forest roads and have not had a problem.  You would need to be mindful of deeply rutted roads or where there is a washout.  I carry a bunch of 2x6's to put in any washouts (short and placed crosswise) that I may need to get past.  If ever in doubt (any vehicle) get out and look.  Inch forward and get out and look again, rinse and repeat.  Roll down your windows and listen, if you ever hear scraping noises STOP.  Jack up vehicle and place something under the low wheel to hold it high enough to back out.  2x6's would come in handy for this too as a little ramp could be built.

My owner's manual says that it has an 8" clearance. I just take it easy on the dirt roads and continually eyeball the contours of the road.
What I would stress needs extra care is tall grass that appears level and hides rocks. I found out the hard way once.

I think the older Roadtreks had higher clearance than do the newer ones. I think 6" is about it.

yeah 8" clearance is not bad. be careful and you will be fine. a posi/locker would help out tremendously. highdesertranger

while I don't have an RT, I do follow the Roadtreking group. They seem to get even the LWB sprinters into any place they _really_ want to : ) so the chevy/ford based RTs should be fine taking into consideration all the above good-to-know common sense tips/posts.

I can say on our chevy awd van, stock it had about 10" to the bottom of the muffler (the lowest item under there). Now with larger tires it is at about 12" and rocker panel (now with a +3" lift) sitting at 16". Once in camp we utilize a folding stool placed near the slider. I would not hesitate putting even a bigger lift on our van as it seems to ride on rails as is. . . though as my wife's daily driver it is enough of a Dude Magnet in current state of build, and dinner and roses for the wife adds up ; )

Thom