RoadPro Sale

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thats a good deal, I still have mine that I bought in 2013. I use it several times a week. Instead of the special aluminum inserts, I just use aluminum foil folded over, it works good.

A can of beef stew takes about 20 minutes to heat up, a can of chili about 15 minutes, a can of soup or ravioli about 15 minutes. Frozen food maybe 30 to 45 minutes. I put bread on top of the food to heat it up.

The cons on the unit
1. no on off switch
2. the cigarette adapter always fails eventually and the wire used is maybe 16 gauge, not thick enough to handle the amperage (they get warm, losing heating power)

I replaced the wire on mine with 12 gauge (replace as close to the unit as possible), and use xt60 connector instead of cigarette plug.

using a dc wattmeter, I measured about 11 amps when it first starts up and slowly drops to about 8 amps as it heats up. It uses about 4 amp hours to cook for about 15 minutes.

a roadpro.jpg

Attachments

• a roadpro.jpg
    a roadpro.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 15
The inserts show in the link are the standard size of disposable aluminum bread loaf pans that are sold in grocery stores. The dollars stores also stock them. So fortunately not all that "special", they are very easy to obtain if a person wants to use them.

I am not familiar with this device. Is it usually used when driving? If so does the alternator have enough
charging power to keep the battery topped up? It says it has 12 amp draw in the ad and it looks like it can heat stuff in less than 30 minutes.
I may want to buy one just to have in my suv but I don't presently have a power system other than the starting/operating battery. Thanks t

Used these for years in trucks.

Wore out more than a few in my career.

Yes, they are designed to reheat food, sandwiches, burritos, soups, leftovers, etc. I suppose you could try to actually 'cook' something if you had several hours to do it.

They do get kinda warm during use so be sure to place it on something that wont be damaged by the heat.