Rice & Beans on a Gas Stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I often use a mix: 2 parts white rice, 1 part lentil, 1 part split pea
Tasty and nutritious. :) And it all cooks easily at white rice proportions and time

actually to cook it, I use 2 parts mix and 3 parts water, boil down, lid-wait. Turns out perfectly every time.

Ditto the pressure cooker suggestion. I used to take one camping with me and use it to make all kinds of things. Benefit: It cooks far more quickly than a regular pot on the stove, thus saves fuel and produces less heat if it's already hot outside.

Also consider a solar oven for this type of food. Long slow cooking will work great for beans.

Soak 'em overnight, or boil for five minutes and let sit for an hour then cook.

Solar is already in my plans. For days when I am sitting in one spot, solar will be my preferred method of cooking weather permitting.

bindi&us said:
Do you plan to build a solar cooker?
Its a good way to cook when possible but there is a bit of a learning curve.

Yep, been checking out "youtube university" for ideas on the best ways to build one. Here in Florida, my windshield does a great job if I park right. LOL

We also love the pressure cooker method. They also makes a killer stew. A pressure cooker is almost a must have high in the mountains as water takes longer to boil at high altitudes without being under pressure.

We use a pressure cooker here at the house, never took it camping. They do make short work out of beans.

We do take solar cookers and they are wonderful if you have the right conditions. The simplest I know of is four shiny sheets tied together reflecting on a black pot in a oven bag. http://solarcooking.wikia.com/wiki/Copenhagen_Solar_Cooker_Light

For its ability to collapse I would also look at the sun flair seen here. http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUNFLAIR-Mini-Solar-Oven-Cooker-/151650221580?hash=item234f0ebe0c

Another option that could be DIY or just buy one is the All season solar cooker. http://diy-alternative-energy.com/build-a-better-solar-cooker-free-plans/

We use sun ovens that are really nice but cost more and take up considerable room.

There is the Roadpro slow cooker that uses 96w at 12v if you have the ability to recharge. Solar would be best as it could run the pot directly in the day time.

I have a ( canadian) pressure cooker I camp with small and works well last RTR learned about this from a bike camper. soak the beans first. rice is not an issue, red beans and rice= paradise

There is a solar oven like one of the ones I use on CL here for $40 and looks barely used. They sell for around $200 new and I'd be tempted if I didn't have two already.

ramblingvanman said:
Yep, been checking out "youtube university" for ideas on the best ways to build one. Here in Florida, my windshield does a great job if I park right. LOL

One of those mylar foil bubblewrap sunshades shaped sort of parabolically behind the item would work, put the food in a black pot inside a 'turkey bag' point it at the sun and focus the reflector.

If you try this on the dash, take pics when the windshield cracks and the airbags explode LOL

My wife and I've had a "Saratoga Jack's" Thermal Cooker for several years. Think of it as an unpowered crock pot. You use the 7 quart (there are smaller pots in the kit) to get your stew or whatever (basically any crock-pot meal) up to a boil then take the pot off the stove/fire and put it inside the thermal pot case. Come back after your morning of hiking or whatever and you've got your meal ready to eat.

~Link~ to Saratoga Jack's website.

Oh, and we do soak things overnight if needed.

: ) Thom