Rice & Beans on a Gas Stove?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramblingvanman

Reaction score
I am planning to buy rice and beans in bulk. At home I would cook them in a crock pot all day and eat when I get home from work. I won't have enough power for that method, at least not for awhile. How can I cook regular old rice and beans on a gas stove? Will it help to soak them the night before or something? I definitely want to stop eating at restaurants all the time when I hit the road. I could do canned beans and minute rice, but that drives the price up significantly.

Dried beans on a gas stove will just suck up way too much gas. Thermos cooking may work, as could solar cooking. Otherwise, canned beans and paraboiled rice are still pretty cheap.

Almost There said:
Or you could try a 12V crock pot.

As mentioned, I will not have that kind of power to run an appliance all day for quite awhile. Unless I just stay here and keep working for a few more months. The upside would be that I could hit the road fully kitted out. The downside is that I am chomping at the bit NOW.

Thermos or "hay box" cooking is a way to start your beans and rice cooking and up to temperature on the stove, remove from the stove, then insulate so thoroughly that the food keeps cooking away from the stove. Bob did a good job explaining it and some of the related products in his blog post here -- http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/hay-box-cooking-wonderbag-nissan-thermos/

Suanne ... who uses a 12v mug and blankets to do "thermos cooking"

Thanks Suanne. How hard is it to clean a thermos after cooking in it though? I have never owned or used a thermos, so I have no idea. To be honest, it sounds like I could fill a blackened can or something with rice/beans and water and just throw it up on my dash during a normal Florida summer day. LOL.

To clarify, you don't put your thermos on the stove. Rather, you start the cooking in a conventional pot and transfer the super-heated contents to the thermos (which is typically pre-heated). The thermos can then be wrapped up to provide additional insulation.

To clean it, I wipe the food out while it's still moist (never wait until it's dried on). If needed, I will spray with water to re-moisten. Once all of the food residue is wiped out, I spray with white vinegar to sterilize, then allow to air dry or wipe dry.

You are absolutely correct that a blackened can will work. I have a mason jar that's been painted a flat black that I use to heat water. Although I've not cooked rice or beans this way, I'm sure you could given enough direct sunlight.

Does it have to be gas? Pinto beans and sausage, cooked in a dutch oven over an open fire, is awesome. Course you have to monitor your fire all day. Might as well put on a big pan of dutch oven cornbread because people carrying bowls and spoons will magically appear at your camp.

bigsallysmom said:
Does it have to be gas?  Pinto beans and sausage, cooked in a dutch oven over an open fire, is awesome.  Course you have to monitor your fire all day.  Might as well put on a big pan of dutch oven cornbread because people carrying bowls and spoons will magically appear at your camp.

Cooking while camped is different. I would probably set up a solar over and slow cook my food. I am looking to make something quick while dry camped at a walmart or equivalent.

ramblingvanman said:
I am planning to buy rice and beans in bulk. At home I would cook them in a crock pot all day and eat when I get home from work. I won't have enough power for that method, at least not for awhile. How can I cook regular old rice and beans on a gas stove? Will it help to soak them the night before or something? I definitely want to stop eating at restaurants all the time when I hit the road. I could do canned beans and minute rice, but that drives the price up significantly.

i do mine in a hay cooker...

My vote's for A PRESSURE COOKER ! Soak beans overnite and they cook in 11-13 minutes. Lentils need no soaking and cook in 3 minutes.
KinA

I do the parboiled rice all the time on propane. for dried beans however I only do if I can have a fire. if burn bans are in effect I just use canned beans. one day I must try the pressure cooker and thermos for dried beans. highdesertranger

White or brown rice?
I know white rice, you can just do a time thing. I put 1pt rice and 2pt water in a pan, and gently simmer it down till the water is about to the rice (little starchy bubbles at the rice level), put a lid on, turn off the stove and come back about an hour later. Done. And it hardly sticks to the pan at all.

GypsyDogs said:
White or brown rice?
I know white rice, you can just do a time thing.  I put 1pt rice and 2pt water in a pan, and gently simmer it down till the water is about to the rice (little starchy bubbles at the rice level), put a lid on, turn off the stove and come back about an hour later.  Done.  And it hardly sticks to the pan at all.

I like both and yellow rice also. I often mix the 3 at home. That may be more problematic on the road though.