reviving old "hobbies"

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maki2

Reaction score
Once upon a time out of necessity for having furniture I used to buy some vintage furniture and refinish it. A few months back I came across a small vintage beach chair at the local thrift store. It is an unusual style, it has no legs. It has an adjustable reclining back. The back has canvas stretched across dowel rods at the top and the bottom. That canvas fabric extends out into a flap that you sit on top of. That extended fabric keeps the chair back from sliding away. What I realized when I saw the chair is that it would make a perfect, folding, adjustable bed rest for reclining against for reading or movie watching or just lounging. I put my bed pillow lengthwise against the backrest and it is perfect, very comfy and cozy, another pillow under my knees and all the back strain from a long day at work goes away. No room for a couch or reclining chair in my tiny travel trailer so my bed has to double up for those functions.

The frame of the vintage chair I got is in good condition but the fabric is past its prime. I will put new fabric on it soon. 

The chair I am renovating is of the same style as the ones in this image, but mine still has the original striped canvas on it.
1940 beach chairs.jpg

I did modify the design from the original very slightly they used 3/4" x 1" oak. I changed that to 3/4" x 1.5" lumber as it is easy to find in the stores. But before I take it apart to replace the fabric I decided to take the measurements and recreate the frame in my 3D CAD design program. One of these days while I am out on the road I will turn the #D model into 2D measured drawings. Then I will build a new frame, photograph all the steps involved, write the directions to go with the photos and eventually sell the plans. It can be built with a jigsaw or handsaw and a drill motor. Today though you can see the visual results of my "hobby" activity which I did this evening, creating the 3D CAD model of it. I used a snipping tool to capture the image from the computer screen. I design all the things I make in CAD, I enjoy designing that way. I gave up on pencil and paper drafting more than 25 years ago.
vintage beach chair capture.JPG

Attachments

• vintage beach chair capture.JPG
    vintage beach chair capture.JPG
    40.8 KB
  • 1940 beach chairs.jpg
    1940 beach chairs.jpg
    160.7 KB
Seems like a useful thing. My mother is getting breast surgery and is advised to sleep on her back at a 45 degree angle for the next few weeks. That item would work well for her.

Re your plans, you might also consider selling them to someone with a 3D printer, or working in collaboration with one to share profits if it sounds like the profit margin would be there. You could even adjust the height for taller people and the width for wider people, etc., without much trouble and without needing to store a bunch of wood. A plastic version would make for a lightweight, spill-resistant model of what you've got that could be printed to order, perhaps within easy/cheap delivery distance of the customer.

Just spit-balling ideas here; no idea if the economics would work out or if you're interested in any part of that. Just seems to come to mind regarding making any relatively small items direct from plans these days. There are large numbers of people bidding for 3D projects now.

Very innovative. Well, I've seen that type of chair before but hadn't thought about keeping one in the van. I like the 3D idea too. Could that be folded and hung on the wall when not in use?

Dingfelder said:
Seems like a useful thing.  My mother is getting breast surgery and is advised to sleep on her back at a 45 degree angle for the next few weeks.  That item would work well for her.

Re your plans, you might also consider selling them to someone with a 3D printer, or working in collaboration with one to share profits if it sounds like the profit margin would be there.  You could even adjust the height for taller people and the width for wider people, etc., without much trouble and without needing to store a bunch of wood.  A plastic version would make for a lightweight, spill-resistant model of what you've got that could be printed to order, perhaps within easy/cheap delivery distance of the customer.

Just spit-balling ideas here; no idea if the economics would work out or if you're interested in any part of that.  Just seems to come to mind regarding making any relatively small items direct from plans these days. There are large numbers of people bidding for 3D projects now.
As for getting something for your mother. Versions of this chair are already being sold for medical use.You can order one for her today from Amazon. Copy and paste the following into the Amazon search field. "ObboMed SM-5200 Adjustable Backrest and Headrest". There are a half a dozen or so companies selling their own versions of this product. They are of course mass manufactured in China by various factories. It makes no sense for me to try to go into competition with them.

As to producing the product with 3D printing. That is not an affordable, viable, manufacturing method for the design. It cost less to make them from metal for mass production and metal is also stronger. The only way to produce cost effective plastic parts for chairs is with injection molding but that would cost many thousands of dollars to get the molds made. A 3D printer large enough to make parts for chairs would also cost many thousands of dollars. Hiring out the 3D printing would eat up any potential profits as it is too slow of a process for mass production work. I do run a 3D printer making parts for myself and for my partner who is a product designer. He is the owner of the 3D printer. He does some production work of small 3D printed pieces during the prototype phase for his customers. But after that phase the parts go into their final production with injection mold methods. Sometimes I actually know what I am talking about based on real world experience ;)

As for a business concept for income for the nomadic life. I love designing and selling plans works very nicely for generating an income. You do the work only once. The plans sell as digital downloads. Not materials to buy other than for making prototypes. No physical inventory to store.

travelaround said:
Very innovative. Well, I've seen that type of chair before but hadn't thought about keeping one in the van. I like the 3D idea too. Could that be folded and hung on the wall when not in use?
The chair does fold flat and it can be hung on a wall. It is skinny enough to fit in a narrow space as it is only 3/4" thick when folded. Not a lot of wood in it so it is not very heavy, just under 2 lbs for the original one I purchased.

I remember using those at the beach. they were actually real comfy, but I was 50 years younger. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
I remember using those at the beach.  they were actually real comfy,  but I was 50 years younger.  highdesertranger

Still comfy after all these years... There is a melody that goes with that line but the C word that goes with it is spelled differently. However both things are true.

I think HDR was referring to getting up off the ground afterwards. That would be my concern.

B and C said:
I think HDR was referring to getting up off the ground afterwards.  That would be my concern.

I missed HDR reference since I will never be using it down on the ground. I got it specifically for a reclining bedrest, it is great for that function. I guess you missed reading that part of the discussion.....

Nope, didn't miss it. He was referring to the beach, hence ground.

Personally my reclining captain chair facing the back works wonders.

Ah well, the thought was worth a venture. Best of luck in capitalizing on your thingy however suits you best. And thanks for the Amazon link. I'll ask my mother if she wants something like that. I wouldn't buy it outright because she is very particular.

I still have one from way back then. Mine has a rectangular tube aluminum frame, 2 pieces.
overall length ~24", width, ~17"
The 2 ratcheting hinges are just above 1/2 way up (~bottom of hinge starts about 12 3/4' from bottom) That tube aluminum support extends ~ 21" from base of backrest. I use it as a backrest at times, it's use now, sort of at my knees as I sit in a chair and use the top of it to support a writing/drawing pad. There is some weight, but not much.

beach chair type, they still sell those all over in coastal areas, never thought of using one as a back bed rest and for reclining like you mentioned....great great idea!!!
Yea getting up from them while reclining on the beach is hard as heck, when 20 no problem, now, woof, no way I use them out and about for lounging (haha)

True story. Be careful with that thing. The fact that it lies down flat is a potential hazard. When I was a kid, we had one (like in the CAD drawing) and I was sitting in it watching TV. My little sister snuck up behind and released the catching dowel. Under my weight, the thing folded flat and my finger got caught between the wood side pieces. My 4th finger still has a unique 1" scar to witness the event. The FBI could identify me in a flash.

B and C said:
Nope, didn't miss it.  He was referring to the beach, hence ground.  

Personally my reclining captain chair facing the back works wonders.
well, yes it definetly sounds like you won't need it and I think that means you are not part of the  target audience that I created the thread for  :rolleyes:

beach chair.JPG
I finally got around to putting new fabric on my vintage beach chair. It will do double duty for a recliner for reading or browsing the internet when placed on top of my bed. The fabric is left over from making a new popup top canvas section for the trailer. So the fabric is UV resistant, urethane coated and just right for the beach. Its bright red, not pink. Time to give it a test out at the beach for sunset watching this evening.

Next up will be making a back rest, padded cushion that attaches to the frame with Velcro, I have fabric for it but not the stuffing that drains quickly for us in outdoor furniture. Fortunately it is on sale this week so I will purchase it on my next errand run.

Velcro was invented in 1941 by a Swiss engineer Georges De Mestral, the designer was inspired by the way the seeds stuck to his dog's fur when they went for a walk. My beach chair likely dates to the late 40s but Velcro was not in the fabric stores back then ;)

Attachments

• beach chair.JPG
    beach chair.JPG
    49.5 KB
Use it enough in the sun and it will be pink, besides what's wrong with pink? LOL!!!

bullfrog said:
Use it enough in the sun and it will be pink, besides what's wrong with pink? LOL!!!
that fabric has been outdoors on my trailer for 3 years with the popup extended most days during the spring, summer and fall. No sign of color change so far. That is the beauty of the good quality polyester fabrics from Sunbrella.  Of course eventually they will fade, but that chair won't get as much sun exposure in the next 25 years that my popup canvas has received in the last 3.

Nothing wrong with pink other than it is not a good color on me.

wheel cover.jpg
Back to the sewing machine  today. I had promised a friend that I would sew a new wheel cover for his sailboat. A nomadic life except he has had the same home port marina for nearly 35 years. Which means he is not really a nomad but he does camp in a van sometimes and works out of town with a mobile work trailer some years. He had purchased the heavy Sunbrella fabric and the zipper for it. The thread was a lucky dumpster find from one of the sail lofts in the building, UV resistant, heavy polyester thread.  

Fortunately he still had the original cover so I spent a couple of hours last week carefully taking it apart so I could use it for the pattern. A tedious and boring task but it was essential. The original cover was a little too tight and that caused some seam and zipper failure on it. So I increased the size slightly knowing that over time there would also be some small amount of shrinkage. Plus the new fabric was quite a bit thicker and stiffer than the original.

My vintage 1970s Bernina is a great machine but sewing through 6 layers of extra thick, heavy duty, Sunbrella canvas was a real chore. I had to hand crank my way across those intersections of seam layers to get the needle to pentrate through them. Even so I went through the better part of a package of heavy duty needles. Of course I was frustrated every time a needle bent as that would mess up the intersection of the hook and the thread and jam the machine which meant I had to remove the bobbin and chase to clear the jam. It really needs a big commercial sewing machine with an extra strong motor for this kind of marine canvas work but I got it done eventually. Hopefully it will last a few decades in the soggy NW rain and wind.

My friend is now happy so I am happy, Merry Christmas to you Don even if it is Christmas in July ;)

Attachments

• wheel cover.jpg
    wheel cover.jpg
    60.9 KB