Revisiting Theo's solar install

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cyndi

Reaction score
Update at post #21, <span style="color: #0000ff;"><strong><span style="color: #0000ff;"><a href="/post/show_single_post?pid=1275506980&amp;postcount=21">here</a></span></strong></span><br /><br />Bob, <br /><br />Thanks for the offer of the solar install!<br /><br />I'd be grateful for everybodies advice input and&nbsp;ideas.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br /><br />&nbsp;<br /><span>I&rsquo;m baffled by all this electricity stuff and trying hard to wrap my head around it. To begin with I made a list of what I THINK I need, using your articles on solar power and suggestions from a couple of the forum members.</span><br />&nbsp;<br /><span>I was thinking you had an amazon store I could order this stuff from, thereby adding a few pennies to your coffer. <span>&nbsp;</span>Or, does ordering from the links on the website do that? <span>&nbsp;</span>I&rsquo;d like to get the materials/brands with which you prefer to work. I also had a few questions with regard to quantities and size.</span><br />&nbsp;<br /><span>Because I won't be able to climb up on the roof to adjust and inspect the panel I'm going to use the flexible panels.</span><br /><div class="yiv1994419432MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"><span>&nbsp;</span></div><div class="yiv1994419432MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"><span>Depending on what I can afford, my system basically will be for lights, charging cameras,&nbsp;phones and laptops. In the near future I&rsquo;d like to add a dometic freezer. I&rsquo;m thinking I&rsquo;ll need two of the 68 watt flexible panels in order to include the freezer. So depending on available cash I&rsquo;ll start with one panel with the ability to add another. <span>&nbsp;</span>It might be possible that I have enough cash for two panels.</span></div><div class="yiv1994419432MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;">&nbsp;</div><div>&nbsp;</div><div class="yiv1994419432MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"><strong><span style="font-family: TTE1E94428t00; font-size: 12pt;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Solar Install</span></span></strong></div><div class="yiv1994419432MsoNormal" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt;"><em><span style="text-decoration: underline;"><span style="font-family: TTE1E94428t00; font-size: 12pt;"><span style="font-family: Calibri;">Materials</span></span></span></em></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span>Flexible/foldable solar panel (watts? Brand?)</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span><span><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;</span></span></span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;</span></span>2-6 volt or 1-1</span><span>2-volt sealed battery, golf cart battery? ( suggested brand: Trojan)</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span>liquid-proof battery box with vented lid (measure battery)</span></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962185" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962184">two in-line 20-amp automotive type fuses and fuse holders, and a cigarette lighter auxiliary powered socket designed for bulkhead mounting. (to plug in 12-volt <span id="lw_1321400654_1" class="yshortcuts">DC</span> radios, or laptop computer power adapters)</span></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962182" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962181">12-volt / 10-amp charge controller with built-in load control (suggested brands: <span>&nbsp;</span>BZ MPPT? morning star? Sunforce?)</span></div><div id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962179" style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span id="yui_3_2_0_1_13214006497962178">Inverter ((PSW if I can afford it MSW will do)</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span>Quick connects (how many)</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span style="font-family: Symbol;"><span>&middot;<span>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span>Wire (gauge? feet?)</span></div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;">&nbsp;</div><div style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;"><span><span style="font-size: medium;"><em>Thanks, in advance for your help and expertise!</em></span></span></div><div>&nbsp;</div><p><br /><br clear="all" /><br /></p>

Hi Cyndi, your list looks good, covers what you need. Are you going to wait till you get to the RTR for us to install it together, or do you want to do it before then? If we are going to do it at the RTR, you might want to wait and order parts when we get there. Remember, they got a good deal on flexible panels at the Big Tent RV show. For anyone who doesn't know, here are the Uniroyal flexible panels:<br>http://www.amazon.com/Uni-Solar-PVL...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1321484938&amp;sr=8-1<br><br>You can get more power for your money from fixed panels. Once they are installed they don't need anything but cleaned off every couple of years. In your Class C, you probably have storage bays where we can put the batteries, so I don't think you will need a box for them. Bob<br>&nbsp;<br>

Cyndi, if you're willing to let RTR folks do the install, I'd go with hard (fixed) panels, with easy L-bracket attachment, a cheap, reliable solar controller and you are set. &nbsp;<div><br></div><div>You want fixed panels, since you have a class c, as Bob has eluded to. &nbsp;I only recommended flexible panels for hi-top, curved top vans... &nbsp;&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Arizona wind &amp; sun always has good deals. &nbsp;I have the Kyocera Kd-135 on my van, but you should be able to do 2 new 185's. &nbsp;&nbsp;</div>

Thanks Bob, Thanks AJ!<br><br>I'm more than willing to wait for the installation to take place at the RTR.<br><br>I didn't realize I wouldn't have to climb up on the roof, regularly, so I'd be thrilled to have the fixed panels.<br><br>Bob, do I remember someone running to Blythe (or beyond)&nbsp;for a battery, last year? Mobility issues won't allow me to wander around Quartzsite shopping.&nbsp; Is that part of the installation&nbsp;service?&nbsp;Is there anything I should&nbsp;pick up before I head for Quartzsite?<br><br>

Been reading this is a particularly good time to do a solar installation as solar panels are way down in price. Guess there's a glut from Chinese manufacturers. <br>

Quartzsite is solar heaven so we can get everything we need in town. We can order the panels and controller and save so we should do that and have them delivered in QZT. <br><br>I should be up-front and say I have a broken right arm and I can't do the actual work. I am assuming that there will be people there willing to jump in and do the actual work. Bob<br><br>

<div>ACK! I'm trying to picture you semi-sedentary while your arm heals. It's not a pretty picture!</div><div><br></div>Well, I'm planning on paying in Indian Tacos and sausage, meatballs and spaghetti, if anyone's interested...

<p style="margin: 0px;">Hey, Bob</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Since confession is good for the soul, and you've already cracked the egg, how did you break your arm,...was it a dispute with a unregistered camper?</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Other Bob</p>

Been reading this is a particularly good time to do a solar installation as solar panels are way down in price. Guess there's a glut from Chinese manufacturers.

That's what put Solyndra out of business - China glutted the US market with much lower priced panels, and now the American manufacturers are in trouble.

<P>Do we want to incorporate 4x4 chevy's <A class=thread_title title="This has been working outstandingly for me, since I rarely have land-line or shore or electric hook-up and my power requirements aren't high.&#10; It ..." href="https://vanlivingforum.com/post/CTEK-D250S-dual-DC-to-DC-charger-5588056" target=_blank><FONT color=#000000>CTEK D250S dual ---- DC to DC charger</FONT></A>&nbsp;thingy he posted about in&nbsp; the install?</P>

Bob

Glad you weren't hurt worse than a broken arm.

bob, I will be having a hitop om my van. I see you recomemd a glexable solar panel for it. can you recomend one for me? along with what ever else is needed? I will have 2 deepcell batteries.

ty
rich

<b><FONT size=3>The Budget</FONT></b><br><br>I've been doing some research, with regard to the install. I always try to estimate high, so I am not taken off guard. Here's what I've got so far... $825.00ish, not including an inverter, because I am confused about that. I also haven't included wiring or quick connect, thinking/hoping those are incidentals and the high estimate will cover those.<br><br><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>solar panel </FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>135 watt 12 volt Kyocera panel from Northern Arizona Wind &amp; Sun $325.00</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><A href="http://www.solar-electric.com/kyso130wa12v.html" target=_blank><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>http://www.solar-electric.com/kyso130wa12v.html</FONT></SPAN></A></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; tab-stops: 333.0pt" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri><SPAN style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpLast><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>2-6 volt or 1-12-volt sealed battery, golf cart battery? ( suggested brand: Trojan)</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"></SPAN></P><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class=MsoNormal><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #532900; FONT-SIZE: 10pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; 6V D GOLF CART x 2 @ $144.00&nbsp;$300.00&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</SPAN></P></FONT></SPAN><DIV align=center>&nbsp;</DIV><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>two in-line 20-amp automotive type fuses and fuse holders, and a cigarette lighter auxiliary powered socket designed for bulkhead mounting. (to plug in 12-volt DC radios, or laptop computer power adapters)</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>$3-4.00 (x2) $8.00</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>&nbsp;</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>12-volt / 10-amp charge controller with built-in load control (suggested brands: &nbsp;BZ MPPT? morning star? Sunforce?)</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>Solar Bill’s 20 amp Mark IV Soltek controller $189.00 (</FONT></SPAN><A href="http://www.solarbill.com/controllers/Default.htm" target=_blank><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>http://www.solarbill.com/controllers/Default.htm</FONT></SPAN></A><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>)</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>Blue sky SB 2000E at Northern AZ Wind &amp; Electric $263.00</FONT></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><A href="http://www.solar-electric.com/sb2000.html" target=_blank><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri>http://www.solar-electric.com/sb2000.html</FONT></SPAN></A><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><FONT face=Calibri> </P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">&nbsp;</SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">BZ MPPT from BZ Products $160.00<SPAN style="mso-spacerun: yes">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN><A href="http://www.bzproducts.net/id2.html" target=_blank><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">http://www.bzproducts.net/id2.html</SPAN></A><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"> </SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">&nbsp;</SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Inverter </SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #532900; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><BR clear=all><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"><BR style="mso-special-character: line-break"></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"></SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Quick connects (how many)</SPAN></P><P style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 5pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class=MsoListParagraphCxSpLast><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><SPAN style="mso-list: Ignore">·<SPAN style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </SPAN></SPAN></SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Wire (gage? feet?)</SPAN></P></FONT></SPAN>

cyndi, Would the trojans be charged from the alternator when driving or is the setup independent of the vehicles charging system? If it's a dumb question it's because I don't know much about solar charging designs. If it is independent, connecting your batteries via a battery isolator to the vehicles charging system might be good to do and not cost an awful lot. <br>

<P>Mike, I have a bad case of the stoopids when it comes to this. I read and read and people offer explaination after explaination and none of it makes sense.&nbsp; I'm just going to do what I'm told, knowing I can trust those doing the installation.</P>

cyndi said:
<b><font size="3">The Budget</font></b><br><br><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><font face="Calibri">solar panel </font></span></p><p style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpFirst"><span style="color: black; font-size: 14pt;"><font face="Calibri">135 watt 12 volt Kyocera panel</font></span></p><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; tab-stops: 333.0pt" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle"><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><font face="Calibri"><span style="mso-tab-count: 1">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></font></span></p><p style="line-height: normal; margin: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in;" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><font face="Calibri">2-6 volt or 1-12-volt sealed battery, golf cart </font></span><span style="color: black; font-size: 14pt;"><br><font face="Calibri"></font></span></p><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle"><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><font face="Calibri"> <br></font></span></p><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"><font face="Calibri">12-volt / 10-amp charge controller with built-in load control (suggested brands: &nbsp;BZ MPPT? morning star? Sunforce?)</font></span></p><font face="Calibri"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: 'Verdana','sans-serif'; COLOR: #532900; FONT-SIZE: 8pt"><br style="mso-special-character: line-break"></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial"></span></font><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpMiddle"><font face="Calibri"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Quick connects (how many)</span></font></p><p style="LINE-HEIGHT: normal; TEXT-INDENT: -0.25in; MARGIN: 0in 0in 5pt 0.5in; mso-add-space: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1" class="MsoListParagraphCxSpLast"><font face="Calibri"><span style="FONT-FAMILY: Symbol; COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: Symbol; mso-bidi-font-family: Symbol"><span style="mso-list: Ignore">·<span style="FONT: 7pt 'Times New Roman'">&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; </span></span></span><span style="COLOR: black; FONT-SIZE: 14pt; mso-fareast-font-family: 'Times New Roman'; mso-bidi-font-family: Arial">Wire (gage? feet?)</span></font></p>
<br>Before buying any panels, figure out where you are going to put them.&nbsp; AM Solar's prices have dropped, and their panels are designed for RVs rather than homes.&nbsp; They do seem to have high prices on wire etc, I just got my panels and controler there.<br><br>You omitted panels mounts, AM wants $72 a set for them.&nbsp; I'm sure something cheaper could be rigged.<br><br>You say you want sealed batteries, but then give prices in line with non-sealed without the core charge.&nbsp; (core charge is basicly trade-in for the old battery, about $20/battery)&nbsp; Cheapest I found for off-brand 6v AGM 190 Ah is $190 each, name brand 6v 220 Ah were closer to $300 each.&nbsp; (The name brand ones were lighter as well.)<br><br>With a 10-amp charge controller you would have to replace it if you add another panel.&nbsp; MPPT puts more of the energy from the panel in the battery.<br><br>With the <span style="color: black; font-size: 14pt;"><font face="Calibri">Kyocera panel you need one extention cable with connectors per panel, twice as long as the distance from your controller (or junction box) to the panel.<br><br>How much and what size wire depends on where you are locating stuff.&nbsp; The further away the bigger (lower number) wire you need.&nbsp; With a 10-amp system you may be able to get away with #8 or even #10 wire.&nbsp; <br></font></span>

Hi Cyndi, I'd figure on $900 just to be on the safe side. I think we can spend less but better to be safe. Blars makes lots of good points. The price for batteries is for wet cells, but I think you would be okay with that since we probably can put them in a storage hold under the RV and they are perfectly safe that way. BUT you will have to fill them with water occasionally. If you do want AGM, plan on spending more. That Kyocera panel has a normal junction box designed for RVs so it won/t need a special extension cable. The BZ controller has worked great for me and will save you money. It will handle up to 250 watts so it will leave you room to add another panel later if you want. The quick connects are cheap but since we are mounting the panel on the roof you won't need them anyway. See you in January. Bob<br>

<P>Thanks, Blars! Thanks, Bob!</P>

Latest posts