review of $40.00 hydraulic crimper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karl

Reaction score
Bought this crimper for some 1/0 house battery cables I was installing in GF's Sprinter

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CUQ042Q?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00

Figured at 39.99 and free shipping(noticed it is now $45.) it was worth the risk, and after using it a bit- it was a good buy. Wish I'd bought it 4 installs ago.
The only complaint I have is that the dies don't align as well as they could, but the crimps on welder cable were very good, the hydraulics and valve worked fine. There are certainly better grade crimping tools out there, but for the $$ this is one I would buy even for a single job that required several crimps and exact length cables.

I am in no way associated with this seller or mfg, and receiving nothing for my endorsement- just offering it to fellow CRVL who may be interested.

It is good to see these crimpers have come down in price to reflect their quality.  also Good to see they now come with the proper size dies

When the HF crimper first came out I got one for about 55$, but the dies are too small for anything larger than 4 gauge lugs.

I've ground and filed out some smaller dies so I could get nice 'earless' hexagonal crimps on 2 AWG. And will break out the grinder and files again if/When I require other sizes.

Even eared crimps are a thousand times better than a hammer crimp though.  At only 2x the price of a hammer crimper, this Hydraulic crimper is a no brainer.

Definitely nice to make one's own cables to the length needed.

The Auto part store bought cables with ring terminals attached are an insult to electricity.  Their ends are just stamped steel with a hole drilled through them.  HIghly resistive and prone to rusting and corrosion, and SAE wire, which can be 20% thinner than AWG.

I use this store for my wire buying needs as well as adhesive lined heat shrink and thick walled ring terminals:
http://www.genuinedealz.com/

SW curious do you always use the marine wire? Tinned copper sure adds to the price versus non tinned.

No doubt Marine wire would offer about the best possible quality in a system.

Mike R

If I have to buy 8 gauge or thicker, I buy it from Genuine dealz and all he sells is tinned and his prices are good.

I've regretted buying 10 awg from Amazon. Crappy insulation. Barely any savings over GenuineDealz.

I'm always near the Ocean so I will take extra steps to prevent resistance from developing

For ring terminal ends between 4 and 0 gauge, I've never used a crimper. I always heat the two up with a torch and fill the terminal end with solder. I guess I find that more compact than carrying a crimper around.

TMG51 said:
For ring terminal ends between 4 and 0 gauge, I've never used a crimper. I always heat the two up with a torch and fill the terminal end with solder. I guess I find that more compact than carrying a crimper around.
I got chewed out when I suggested that idea.  It seems that the FAA has a real problem with solder failing if the wire happens to move even slightly..  Crimped is what they want!

I bought one of those crimpers about a year ago, and I am extremely happy with the finished product.

I've done solder with good success as well. prefer a crimp but solder has worked well. Sure we don't want a wire coming loose but if we do were not going to fall out of the sky!

I came close to buying a crimper in that size but reports that the dies were to small for my 1/0 welding cable sent looking for bigger. I ordered a 12 ton for a bit under $40 shipped, they sent me a 16 ton. I have no idea what takes a 240 mm die but it can crimp some stuff. lol

I just bought this crimper last night based on the reviews here along with some 6 Ga. copper lugs (on Amazon through Bob's link) since my charge controller should be here sometime soon.  Since I am retiring in Jan., I am going to have to wean myself from getting the electricians here to help me with crimping stuff. :p  I have a storage bin hinge that I need to replace this weekend, then the charge controller next weekend.

Brian

I have found the bulk wire prices at Lowes and Home Depot to be much better than taking a chance on mail order.

I bought the same crimper...works fine for me, so far, did some 6 Gage on my solar system, connections are very tight,

sparky1

Beware the wire sold by Home Depot and Lowe's is not very well suited for use in a vehicle. It is manufactured for use in an unmoveing building with 120/240 alternating current.

I'm curious - and utterly noob at electricity - what is the difference between wiring for moving vs unmoving?

dhawktx said:
I'm curious - and utterly noob at electricity - what is the difference between wiring for moving vs unmoving?

Single strand wire vs multi strand wire.  The wire used in houses for 120v ac is always - by code - single strand.  Vehicles, including boats and aircraft always use multi strand wire.

It's a vibration thing.  After enough vibration over enough years, single strand wire will become brittle and eventually break.  Multi strand wire resists the vibration much better.

Regards
John

dhawktx said:

+1 on what John said.  And it might not take years for problems to occur.  In race cars I have seen problems with work hardening (breakage because of flex) after one race.  If one strand of a 10 strand wire breaks, you have lost 10% of current carrying capacity.

Plus, wire is graded by how much voltage it can safely carry, temperature ranges, how flexible it is and what application it is designed for.  Different wire insulation have additives depending on application i.e. resistance to oil and gas, resistance to UV, resistance to salt water, resistance to rodents...

One should always use wire designed for your appication.

-- Spiff

Easy to tell for vibration.  Put a bend in it.  If the bend stays bent, don't use it for anything that vibrates.  There are multi-strand cables that are made to be in conduits; but they will hold their shape if bent.  Stiff wire for stationary stuff (or well clamped/supported to prevent any movement) and limp wire for vibrations.

Brian

yeah we have been down this road before. for your vehicle use automotive or marine wire, not house wire. there are many reasons for this and some have already been pointed out. use wire for which it was intended. highdesertranger

Latest posts