Review: Gamma Bucket Lid

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highdesertranger

R.I.P HDR
Reaction score
if you where around my camp at RTR you probably know I had several gamma lids fail on me.  with the heavy rain I had water get in several of them.  what seemed odd is that it was only the colored lids that failed,  with the white lids I had no issues.

upon closer inspection the colored lids and rings had cracked.  it looked to me like UV damage because the plastic looked like it was deteriorating around the cracking areas.  you know how plastic looks from UV exposure,  it fades,  and the surface gets rough.

so I contacted Gamma which is actually,  "Petmate".  I really wasn't expecting much.  however new people just acquired the company.  first off they admitted there was an issue with the formula on the colored lids and that they would send me new lids in the colors that failed.  WHAT,  your kidding me.  first off to admit there was a problem impressed me and then to send me new lids no questions asked double impressed. 

what all this means is I whole hearted recommend Gamma Lids and their pet food storage buckets.  it's great to have a Made in America product and a company that stands behind it. 

highdesertranger

holy cow. I can't believe this. the lids came today, not even 24 hours after they said they sent them. highdesertranger

I started out with a white lid, but the bottom of the bucket eventually split from me beating it up. Since you can't remove the ring from the bucket, I replaced both the bucket and lid. This time it was a plain white bucket from Walmart rather than a blue Lowe's bucket (only because that's where I was shopping — no gripe with Lowe's) and a black lid (because that's what they had). It has lasted four years so far. However it's almost always in the van instead of in the sun. It's good to hear the current owners are cooperative and responsive.

Kaylee said:
It makes sense that colored ones would be more subject to UV damage.

Zip ties are the other way around. UV resistant zip ties are black, whereas white zip ties have no UV resistance at all. I don't know about other colors though.

I know I'm a little off topic here, but this just struck me as odd.

Nylon zip ties? I haven't had one fail. Can't compare to bucket plastic, some of that stuff becomes powder in the weather.

Sephson is correct the white/natural zip ties are not UV resistant and the black ones are UV resistant. highdesertranger

It's not the color necessarily; it's the type of plastic. In the same way that plastic plumbing can be colored the same but have much different sun-exposure ratings.

correct, I think. they said it was the formula when the colored lids were made. whatever the reason they were very fast to send new lids. highdesertranger

Latest posts