Retro style car radio wanted

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morongobill

Reaction score
Also posted on a trucking and Hip forums.

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Retro style radio with some modern features?[/font]

Folks, this bus driver is sick and tired of trying to figure out how to do such a simple thing as turning on some of these modern day radios. Let me tell you my ideal radio/stereo. Perhaps somebody here might have seen something like this:

Knobs to turn it on/off and a tuning Knob, or even Push Buttons, or a Clearly marked ON/OFF Button.

Has a cd player with EASY to figure out and clearly marked controls- however I can do without this

Bluetooth

Audio line in socket

Usb memory stick capable

Please let me know if you know of anything like this out there. This will be going into my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.

I can relate. The fancy after-market stereo in my '88 E150 is far too complex. I cannot find how to turn it OFF! Took some time and effort to learn to change stations. I will be changing to a simpler model. The old AM/FM from my late Dad's old E150 cargo van may work. But my needs are simpler than yours. No USB or Blue Tooth needed. CD is an option I like.

morongobill said:
Also posted on a trucking and Hip forums.

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Retro style radio with some modern features?

Folks, this bus driver is sick and tired of trying to figure out how to do such a simple thing as turning on some of these modern day radios. Let me tell you my ideal radio/stereo. Perhaps somebody here might have seen something like this:
[/font]

Knobs to turn it on/off and a tuning Knob, or even Push Buttons, or a Clearly marked ON/OFF Button.

Has a cd player with EASY to figure out and clearly marked controls- however I can do without this

Bluetooth

Audio line in socket

Usb memory stick capable

[font=Tahoma, Calibri, Verdana, Geneva, sans-serif]Please let me know if you know of anything like this out there. This will be going into my 2001 Ford Explorer Sport.[/font]

I have a simpler one, so simple in fact that it doesn't have a CD player so I'm trying to figure out if I upgrade the one in the dash or add a portable cd player that can be wired to the house batteries instead of worrying about running down the start battery.

The stock radio is in the 2002 GMC Savana, you might be able to look around at the auto parts yard and maybe pull one from an earlier Explorer that will fit.

Fusion marine radios fit the bill. I put an ra205 in my ambulance. They're designed for use in boats bouncing all over the place. Big clean screen without a million things on it all the time. Big volume knob/on off. Buttons are few, and widely spaced out.
For Bluetooth etc I like the wet sounds Bluetooth controller knob. It's way better than the add on fusion one, plugs right into your aux input cables.