Rescue Dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My buddy has a dog who wasn't necessarily a rescue dog, but simply a lost dog who wandered up to his house one day. (his lives way out in the country.)

She was extremely skittish. Strangers could hardly go near her at all. Forget about trying to pet her. She was just skin & bones too. It's pretty clear she was very abused and/or neglected by her privious owners. (she's a hound)

but now, about 5 years or so later, with alotta work, love and disipline from Jeff & Karen, Molly's become a riot! She's gotten to be very friendly, and has a very sweet disposition. She's always glad to meet new folks, and is very obedient.
And she's a talker too! (...if you do a doggy howl/talking sound thingy to her, she'll do it right back to ya!) must be the hound dog in her! :D

But I think that's the key right there...

it takes alotta patience, work, love and disipline, but most any dog can come around.

I adopted a brown lab pup last year after Honey died, and he's a cutie, but this post caught my attention from Patricks comment. A few months after I got Stigr, I saw an ad in the paper for a red tick hound. When I called, he wanted $150 which I thought I was calling for a free dog. Long story short, he couldn't afford her anymore, she was malnourished and had spent most of her life on a chain when not hunting bears. Now, all fattened up a year later she is funny as hell and friendly to everyone.
My daughter is a pet trainer for PetSmart in Virginia and we are both big into dogs, and I would rescue them all if I could afford to.

I felt guilty for not posting both dogs, rofl. So this pic is Stigr, the other was ruby. :dodgy:

Attachments

• IMG_0284.JPG
    IMG_0284.JPG
    107.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Stigr Bandana Standing.JPG
    Stigr Bandana Standing.JPG
    294.4 KB · Views: 18
Yeah, the hat and the paw on my ear. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_0282.JPG
    IMG_0282.JPG
    91.2 KB · Views: 9
I left out that at the time of picking her up, I was broke. I budget months ahead of time for major stuff and I had to tell the guy 'sorry I was calling on a free dog' to which he was like, 'no prob, please come get her.'

And yes, both my dogs have rescued me. When Honey died and I was completely alone, I literally was going insane, it was horribly depressing, new in town; no friends, etc. The backfire sort of is that I got Ruby the tick hound so that Pup Stigr would have someone to play with and they rarely play with each other, but both expect me to entertain them.