Rescue Dog?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joey

Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Rescue Dog from the local shelter for a travel companion.What do the people here that have dogs think of this? Would I be better off getting a puppy and raising it in this lifestyle? thanks,joey.

Thats a very tough call... Zeke was a rescue but i also got him at 6 months old... Hey has been the perfect dog for me... But there is the dark side of their past lives also that tend to haunt them and come out as you get to know them... Some of these issues can be very crippling for the dog like loud voices, sharp noises, even clapping which causes Zeke to run for the van and you will never know why...<br /><br />A new pup is a clean slate with hopefully no issues, the down size is it is a puppy and I know they can be a challenge and a PIA at times...<br /><br />I have met and have a rescue dog and they all have something that haunts them, but were all great dogs...

Puppies are great, and fun but a trained dog with at least some training is easier, and puppies usually find a home the older dogs don't have it so good.<br /><br />he's my poem I have etched in my brain:<br /><br /><strong style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><strong style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><a name="h"></a></span></strong></strong><p align="center">For Hanna by Elizabeth Clark<br /><br />What morning when you waken<br />Is the right one to decide<br />That this dog will be forsaken<br />And no more with you abide?<br /><br />A dog like this, she'll find a home<br />And what will be the harm<br />In telling all the children<br />That she'll be living on a farm?<br /><br />As you bring her in and leave her<br />In her lonely metal cage<br />And act as though you have no choice<br />I feel a silent rage<br /><br />What heinous thing has this dog done?<br />What has been her crime?<br />Or are there other things more pressing<br />And you don't have the time?<br /><br />This dog who loved her master<br />And served him day by day<br />Has become an inconvenience&nbsp;<br />And has now been sent away<br /><br />She keeps a faithful vigil<br />The tears in my eyes burn<br />While with trusting expectation<br />She awaits for your return<br /><br />A dog like this will have no home,<br />No master will be found<br />For who will take an older dog<br />When younger ones abound?<br /><br />Now at last her time has come,<br />And with a gentle nod<br />I'll cradle your dog in my arms<br />And send her back to God.</p><strong style="font-family: 'Times New Roman'; font-size: medium;"><span style="font-size: xx-small;"><a name="h"></a></span></strong><br /><br /><br />Joey decide what you want from a dog and decide what your willing to give, so many good dogs die becuase they are not cute puppies. Do you want a little dog a big one? will shedding bother you? can you afford to have them groomed if you don't like the shedding? do you want a dog that is active or more sedate? profile yourself, it will make it easier if you know what you want, and ask the staff for help choosing the right dog. Some dogs bark more than others some don't bark much at all remember a dog at a shelter has had it's world turned inside out, it usually takes a few weeks for them to settle in and show you who the really are. If you decide on a puppy remember it's behavior as an adult is a reflexion of it's trainer. I could never be dogless but I tend to take the ones nobody wants, the difficult ones, the shy ones, the active ones, and I have no issue placing them if a better home comes along. Been in the pet industry my whole life, seen so much beauty and sorrow. I wish you luck in this journey, choose wisely and I don't think you'll regret it!&nbsp;<br /><br />PS trust your gut.<br /><br />Windy<br /><br /><br /><br /><br />

I have a rescue dog and love her to pieces. As Steve says, they can have many issues and Dina certainly does. I got her at three months or so and it was already set in her personality. Much can be ironed out and trained out of them, but much can't...at least in my experience. She was a real willing rider and traveler and grew up in the van and sidecar...I am working with her now to get her to ride with me on the little Honda trailbike.<br /><br />I wouldn't have anything but a rescue myself, but of course that is just me. <br /><br />Really whatever you decide it is all about how much time and energy you are willing to give your new sidekick. One advantage that any vandwelling dog has, is the nearly 24/7 companionship it will get. And the advantages of having a dog sidekick, is beyond words.<br /><br />All this is undoubtedly true about other pets, but my experience is purely canine....<br /><br />Best of luck with your choices Joey and looking forward to meeting your new friend at Q.<br />Bri

Steve, I have raise dogs from birth and gotten older dogs and while I LOVE the puppy stage, for me I know the stages of mental growth in puppies, I doesn't matter if you raise your puppy they all develope issues no matter what, it's how you deal with it. Sound sensitivity like what you discribed with Zeke happens to LOTS of dogs, be it natural behavioral development or from a bad experience.<br /><br />I support the adoption of older dogs unless they are in a high kill shelter then any dog taken, is a life saved. Consider your local shelter the animal garbage pail.... rescue groups are often to anal to deal with and will most likey will not allow an adoption to a traveler.<br /><br />Windy<br /><br /><br /><br />*side note: I will be having what is most likely to be my last litter from a dog I gave away on a co ownership next spring and I am looking forward to it.

Personally, as someone who's been involved in rescue, rehab and professionally training dogs, I think van life might be too confining for a puppy. This of course, depends on whether you work, or not; and perhaps whether or not you're an urban dweller Until a puppy learns some manners their vocalizing might seriously jeopardize your stealth.<br /><br />Getting a dog from a rescue is great because a good rescue can provide a good match for your lifestyle. However, convincing some rescues to allow a dog to go to a home without a fenced yard can be difficult. A GOOD rescue will have a trial period and will always take the dog back if for some reason your ability to care for the dog changes. A dog from a good rescue also comes already vetted, up to date with shots and&nbsp;neutered&nbsp;or spayed. They can be pricey though. Besides paying for your dogs costs, some money will be used to to help other dogs. Not a bad thing.<br /><br /><strong><span style="color: #000080;"><a href="http://www.dogsindanger.com/"><span style="color: #000080;">Dogs in Danger</span></a></span></strong> is a great place to start your search. The site list dogs in danger of being&nbsp;euthanized. You can search by state, etc.Most city/county/town pounds are high kill and you've saved a life if you take an animal out of one.&nbsp;<br /><br />In the past, I matched dogs in shelters with people searching for the perfect companion. Generally, I go into a shelter and I look for a dog whose kennel is clean, that comes to the front of the kennel without aggression or being real noisy and who's tail is wagging. There are more specific things to look for depending on your needs.<br /><br />Because of the economy, Craigslist isn't a bad place to look either. many people are having to move into apartments that don't allow dogs or have weight limits and breed restrictions. They are looking for loving homes for their well adjusted dogs. Watch out for scams, though!<br /><br />Pictures, of course, are required!

I would like to chime in that I have rescues and traveled with 2 animals, one dog and one cat. Rescues have had it rough in life. Vincent was a Russian Blue cat who came through the clinic where I worked and we bonded so I took him home. Lola was an abused and pregnant dog who was just ecstatic to be in a home where someone loved her, didn't yell, and didn't hit her. Both of them adapted quickly to traveling life and both of them loved the adventures they had.<br /><br />I would encourage you to meet as many dogs as you can, find a rescue that you connect with. Chances are that you will give each other a new lease on life.

I got Pita (Pain In The Ass)&nbsp;off of Pet.com from a rescue up in Delta Junction, Alaska.&nbsp;She was 2 years old, previously abused, has (had) issues but has become my best bud and I wouldn't trade her for the world--had I known her&nbsp;behavior issues before hand I'm not sure we would be buds now, but the&nbsp;pain was well worth it because she is truly a wonderful dog who has trained me well, and the behavior issues are&nbsp;gone or nearly non-existent.&nbsp;Its funny what a little love, time, and training will do.&nbsp;<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; I love puppies, but it was a great match with Pita because I knew in advance from the rescue operator that she seldom if at all barked (took her 6 months with me before she said anything!) she was house trained, and past the puppy stage of antsy behavior.&nbsp; I could leave her on the run while I was at work and not worry much about her.&nbsp; Now however, I can't leave the house without her...she's a permanent fixture in the backseats of my vehicle.&nbsp; It would have been difficult leaving a puppy for 9-10 hours while working.<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; The point is, a puppy is like a child and needs their parent&nbsp;there almost constantly and will have to be taught everything.&nbsp; What&nbsp;and how much are you willing to give?&nbsp; Just remember too, that if you don't know how to train a puppy, you can end up with some really bad behavior. &nbsp;Also, everything that&nbsp;Windy mentioned is good to keep in mind.&nbsp;&nbsp;<br />&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope you find your best bud or your best bud finds you! Rae&nbsp;

Joey as you can see we are all a bunch of dog/ critter lovers, they really do add to your life on the road, you will never feel lonely, I never really feel worried or unsafe, I know my dogs will at least bark when strangers are to close.<br /><br />Yup there are times when you have to get up early to let them out when your just so comfy in your bed. &nbsp; There are times when you can't go places due to weather and it's unsafe to keep your pet in the vehichle unattended. But I will accept every inconvience for when they make me laugh, or keep me company when I am lonely, or keep me safe.&nbsp;<br /><br />The last two years of my life have been very hard, and since I am not good at always sharing my stress, my pets help me more than any therapy session can ever do.&nbsp;<br /><br />So feel free to tap into this huge resource provided here through the forums, we may not all agree, but being pet owners we will all tell you it's worth every minute of it....<br /><br />Windy

I was wondering if a puppy would be a good choice or not. I will more than likely get an adult or semi-adult dog. There is a couple who walks by my house every day with a pack of about 7-8 dogs,sometimes more. They have their own shelter and have a lot of dogs. I saw them yesterday and talked with them for a while. They both gave me a funny look when I told them about the traveling/camping life. I am thinking they might not would want to adopt out one to someone planning on traveling. I hadn't really thought of that aspect of it until ya'll mentioned it. I may just wait a little while and see how things go. I wouldn't want to adopt a dog and then it stay stressed out all the time. Thanks guys,Joey.

I love my Bella puppy very much.&nbsp; But if i could fast forward to 3 or 4 (or 7) years old, I would do it in a heartbeat.&nbsp; I recommend a Rescue, also.&nbsp;

Joey, I'm not sure if you are on the road, or not, yet. You may want to wait until you're on the road for a bit to see how everything pans out. Stumpy and I have been dying to get another dog since our boy, Wabbit, left us. I kept telling myself, "as soon as we move into the RV..." Recently, I decided I should wait until we've been on the road, a bit and had a routine, for the new guys peace of mind.<br /><br />Also, there's a thing called <span style="color: #0000ff;"><strong><a href="http://www.startseeingblackdogs.com...ntent&amp;view=article&amp;id=9&amp;Itemid=12"><span style="color: #0000ff;">Black Dog Syndrome/Bias</span></a></strong></span>. Black dogs are often over looked, the least likely to be adopted and more frequently euthanized than other dogs. Just food for thought...

All my guys are rescues. &nbsp;I love each one of them madly. &nbsp;They keep me grounded and sane (as far as that is possible). &nbsp;<br /><br />That said, I'd agree with Cyndi that you may want to wait a bit to see how everything goes for you on the road. &nbsp;When you feel comfortable with your choice and it's working for you, then bring in another piece like an animal companion.<br /><br />Dogs are not a temporary choice, either. &nbsp;You shouldn't just get one to try it on. &nbsp;Dogs are forever. &nbsp;They are living beings who depend on us to treat them right, and it's not fair to them to not take that responsibility seriously. &nbsp;You may find that the 'companion' quickly becomes the light of your life.<br /><br />I've rescued mostly adults. &nbsp;And all the rescues over the years have gone where I've gone. &nbsp;I never had to condition them to be in a house or in the Scotty. &nbsp;They just went where I went. &nbsp;And I made sure their needs were met, including lots of tummy scratching and 'good dog!' and biskits. &nbsp;Peanut butter biskits. &nbsp;Those will take you a long way.<br /><br />Good luck with whatever you decide to do, joey.

Wow this is a great post.&nbsp; I recently adopted a little dog from one of the rescue agencies in the area.<br><br><br><br>In the past I've had working dogs who went with me everywhere.&nbsp; I'm used to having a dog in the van with me at all times.<br><br><br><br>I decided on a rescue dog because I don't have the time nor inclination to train more puppies.&nbsp; My dog needs to go to work with me every day and hang out in the van without causing trouble.&nbsp; I did not select the local dog pound because the folks there generally don't have any time to get to know the animals. They can't honestly assess the needs of the dogs or cats or determine what kind care would be best for them.<br><br>I have worked with many people who have rescued dogs from a variety of situations.&nbsp; One thing I can say with absolute certainty is that people who rescue dogs can be, and generally are, brutally honest.&nbsp; They will readily advise you as to any quirks, insecurities, faults and&nbsp;issues that a given animal might have. The very last thing they want is to have an animal return once again to homeless status. Their goal is to find a good match.<br><br><br><br>As far as I'm concerned they did a great job with me in my new dog, Buddy.&nbsp; He's a small&nbsp;to medium-size dog, certainly not purse puppy!&nbsp; Buddy is part Chihuahua, and parts of other things, but mostly dog. He's an excellent traveler and loves to go to work with me.&nbsp; His favorite toy is his Kong with a chunk of raw carrot wedged inside. He has spent a good 40 minutes trying to pull that&nbsp;carrot out of there.<br><br><br>Whatever you decide I sincerely wish you the best.<br><br><br><br>Roguedogg<br><br><br><br>

I would recommend an older rescue dog. They have less energy, so they don't mind living in small spaces quite as much (although you should exercise them adequately, every day, of course). Other than that, just make sure the dog you're looking at doesn't bark. But, yes, I would recommend a rescue dog!!

My own 2 cents. Get an older dog, one that is already house broken, done teething, and settled down. It's hard to deal with a rambunctious puppy in the confined space of an RV, so give an older dog a chance. You'll know how big it will be and can get an idea of its general character. Research breeds. Don't just go with a dog because you like how it looks. Temperment is much more important.. Is the breed easy going, or high strung and yappy? Tolerant of people and other animals or likely to bite? Is the breed calm and confident, or likely to get upset by changing surroundings? It takes some hard nosed research to get a good canine camping companion.

We always get rescue dogs. Puppies are cute - in someone else's house. I don't like the mess of housebreaking, having my stuff chewed up, and dealing with the energy level of puppies. Fortunately for me, but unfortunately for the dogs, there has always been a steady supply of adult dogs to choose. Barney, the little terrier thingy, was small, slowed down by a leg injury, and quiet - the perfect companion for my disabled hubby in a 32-ft travel trailer. When we got the house and fenced yard, I got my Jack, the gentle, easy going Bernese Mtn Dog. With Jack gone, hubby came home with a happy, friendly, highstrung lunatic of a bichon. Hubby should not be allowed to pick out dogs by himself. We will see how this one does on the road..

Bindi is a rescue which is talked about in her blog. Physically damaged, and a mental wreck, it took a while to gain her trust and to introduce her socially. She still has some issues, but could she not have some fears and even nightmares.

Like others, we didn't want to raise another puppy, partly due to our ages. We had her with us before beginning to travel, but she has adapted well to the lifestyle. We've even discovered she likes riding in a bike basket.

As others have recommended...pick your companion carefully, and allow them to pick you as well.

Bindi tells about herself in the first post of her blog ▼▼▼

For starters, I find it interesting that you all picked your furkids, not the other way around. I must be doing something wrong. All our pets have been rescues. Both dogs and cats. Our last dog picked out our last cat. We have had the "bad" lab ("Marley Me" - the book - was an eyeopener and explained almost everything when it came to our huge, lovable Chow-Lab mix), the purebred AKC papered Eskimo Spitz (our smallest dog who expected to be admired... I don't know how she got that way) who was beaten what a bit over protective of us. So was the rather large Husky - Borzoi ("my pretty precious petite bebe" is what she thought her name was) who didn't know she could bark until she was over a year old. Downside to Huskies is that they have a thick under coat (note, needs to be combed out... Petsmart/Petco worked great for that) and tend to be pack oriented. They like their pack to stay intact and in our case meant the dog stopped eating for a month when the antique cat (age 20 to 30 yo) died. Which is why she choose the next cat (or rather they chose each other) who was addicted to Chicken in a biscuit crackers... ever seen a 16 lb cat drool? Somehow all our pets are.... characters.

I have noticed that many shelters want to check out the home. They are not fond of fulltime RVers and I shudder to think what they would say about vandwelling. Look on Craigslist. Many strays and pets are listed there before they are put in the pound. PLEASE get rabies shots when needed and microchip your pet. It is getting much cheaper all the time. Some shelters are so crowded that microchipped strays are the only ones who are not put down quickly. We also got the vac for kennel cough (Bordetella) as we have had to board our dog twice because we absolutely could not take her with us for a few days (emergency) plus she spent a few nights with vets a couple of times. Having the vaccine meant we did not have to wait to get her vaccinated. Also carry ALL paperwork with you. We have found State parks like to know you have rabies/distemper shots up to date. If you plan on being in SC, get a rabies shot before you enter the state. SC has a problem with rabies in wild animals.

Possibly, rather than saying "we chose" Bindi, I should have said we had a mutual attraction. Beyond that, we realized she had issues and felt we could provide a good life for her that would benefit her mental state and an awareness to her physical shortcomings.

What rescues need most is love and attention. We took our pets pretty much every where we went. Part of the reason we liked going camping... just load the critters up with us and go. Even the cat.