replacing rooftop air con gasket, ac needs stay upright or can lay on side?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoot

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've a small '95 class C and soon need to replace the gasket on the ac.  I understand some say keep the ac upright (mounting on 5gal buckets for example) while replacing the gasket.  And others will just lay the ac on its side, which makes it easier for a one-person job, yet I did see one advising not to lay on its side as it can mess with the operation, and may then need not run it til its been upright for a day or so to let any fluid resettle.  I want to do it once and do it right and have it running shortly after.  Appreciate any advice.  Thanks.

The issue is the lubricating oil in the compressor.  When you tilt the AC, that oil will seep into the lines and out of the compressor.  Running it like that means the compressor could be starved for oil.  You can tilt it on it's side but I'd let it sit in it's normal position overnight before running it again....just to be safe.

I think it goes without saying that it would not be run while on it's side.
I once knew a guy named "Hoot".  Arlington.

Yes you can lay it on it's side, as long as you allow a few hours (at least) for the oil to settle back before you power up in 'cooling' mode.

I deleted 1 post. You need to read what's being asked. Roof top RV air conditioners are one style fits all. There are a few manufacturers but not a bunch of different types out there. Highdesertranger