replacing a awning thoughts

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwhite

Reaction score
Last weekend the wind wrecked the power awning on my motorhome, just to make a long story short I made it home but it now needs to be replaced the awing is ok just a small rip but useable but the frame is bent and broken.
it looks like the frame will have to be replaced.
I am wondering for what little I use the motorhome and the awning I am not sure if I should just take it off and use my ezup or a patio umbrella or see about going with a manual awning.
doing a quick search it looks like the complete unit is 1800.00 and not sure what the rv place would charge to install it or take off the old one ?
I have a handy man that's helping me do a remodel on my house and another building project right now and he may be able to help me out and pay him 20.00 an hour compared to the 125.00 a hour the rv place charges ?
just wondering if anyone has going through this before and is the manual better and cheaper ?
my guess is if I got it fixed and it happened again I would just leave it off ?

Was it out when it got ripped? I’ve seen where people secure them with Velcro even when they are in for that reason.

wow you are on that fence like I am :) :) sorry tho it happened thru being destroyed.

I AM SO wanting to take off the electric awning and replace with manual. I hate electric ones. Manual we never had issues, with the electric they are so prone to be mangled due to any wind, crosswind, storm or whatever SO easy vs a manual one. We had both and I WANT manual back big time LOL

hubby is like why bother replacing what is good and I am like good is gonna be destroyed and when it is I want manual put back on and he is like 'only if it fits' the spot ya know and can be done to match up etc.

and I am like, come on wind or NEVER have a problem with this one again..........

but my preference is go manual IF YOU USE an awning. We use it truly. So I would replace with manual for sure but that is me :) If you don't use it that much just leave it 'closed' forever on your motorhome and just use an EZ UP tent or umbrella like you mentioned if it suits you well enough. An awning is to 'make a room if enclosed' or just shade and weather cover but in bad weather when ya could use the darn thing the most we have to 'put them up to save them' mostly LOL

In the end if my electric is destroyed again (yea cost to fix is horrible for what it is) I would be just like you.....how much do I want one again? But manual would be my replacement choice if it worked fine on the rv. But like you I swear the suckers are more of a PIA then they are worth ever.

I also know I would rather put up an umbrella or tent area right in front of the rv to be handled super simple during storms etc. and get my little shade I need vs. playing havoc and risking the cost and wreck of a friggin' awning :) I love them and despise them truly at the same time!!

Let us know which way you go cause I am so right there with you on this issue kinda.

^^^My wife's new Grey Wolf by Forest River came with a huge one that jammed the second time we extended it and popped the plastic halves of the motor apart. managed to get it back together and lubricated so it is working sort of. I got one from a visitor that got torn off in a wind storm and managed to fix it to where it works but still needs a few mounting pieces that are like less than $100 but most likely I will end up using it for parts. Most awnings add on the electric assist as an option so you can modify it to use it manually, you would just have to change a few parts and get a crank handle on mine. Your hubby isn't gonna like hearing that huh! Lol!!!