repairing "free" RV

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crofter

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Have you used Dicor roof membrane to redo an RV roof? Did it work? Did it peel off or leak?
Thanks! - Crofter

I used it on my trailer 3 years ago....so far so good.

Interesting you should ask. I just recoated my EPDM rubber roof membrane with Meridian Coating's Liquid Rubber (per the recommendations of pretty much every one) and it was actually easier than I thought to do. As long as you do the prep work ahead of time on the current roof there shouldn't be any problems. Read the reviews over on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHYGBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue I had with the stuff (other than being an PITA to clean off me) was the fly graveyard that is now part of my RV roof. It was like the LaBrea tar pits for flying critters.

are you redoing a rubber membrane roof or are you wanting to put a rubber membrane over an aluminum roof? highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
are you redoing a rubber membrane roof or are you wanting to put a rubber membrane over an aluminum roof?  highdesertranger

The gifter of the RV sent me a bunch of links on EPDM and complete tear offs. It looked like the tear offs had two layers of luan with insulation in between and membrane on top of the roof. It just seems like all that wood glue and rubber plus recoatings must weigh a lot. 
As far as what I will be repairing, I have not actually seen this gift yet but it's heading my way.  I have a feeling there could be quite a bit to do since its free. Could be a fun project for a while. 
I personally like all things metal when it comes to roofs.  I have heard people telling of aluminum roofs having no trouble. Any thoughts?  - Crofter

poncho62 said:
I used it on my trailer 3 years ago....so far so good.
Thanks poncho62. Good to know it can last a while. Did you replace an existing rubber membrane, or do a reseal? Do you think it made your TT heavier or about the same? - Crofter

I had a terrible leak and got Hengs rubber roof cating. Less expensive and worked great.

DuneElliot said:
Interesting you should ask. I just recoated my EPDM rubber roof membrane with Meridian Coating's Liquid Rubber (per the recommendations of pretty much every one) and it was actually easier than I thought to do. As long as you do the prep work ahead of time on the current roof there shouldn't be any problems. Read the reviews over on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003UHYGBE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only issue I had with the stuff (other than being an PITA to clean off me) was the fly graveyard that is now part of my RV roof. It was like the LaBrea tar pits for flying critters.
Thanks for telling us. I will prob be working on it outside also and imagine I will have many small flying visitors.
Are you working with an older roof, or just standard maintenance? - Crofter

decodancer said:
I had a terrible leak and got Hengs rubber roof cating.  Less expensive and worked great.
Thanks for letting me know. Sounds like I may be able to get the roof working with some coating unless it's flapping when I get it. :rolleyes:

mind if i ask what it is you are about to receive? and have you ever done anything to this person to make him mad?

crofter said:
Thanks for telling us. I will prob be working on it outside also and imagine I will have many small flying visitors.
Are you working with an older roof, or just standard maintenance? - Crofter

Standard maintenance as I prefer prevention rather than cure but the membrane did have a few tiny holes in it that I made sure to double seal. It is a 10 yo roof.

Another product I have used on both rubber and mettle roofs is Stay Kool an elastameric coating. good for ten years although I tend to coat every two due to the hot desert sun.
Korey

mail

Hello everyone!
Right now I am camp hosting out of my pickup (I sleep in a bunk behind the cab).  Been very busy with no wifi so I am writing to you from the library in a nearby town. I host 70 sites on a good day and more on those other days. It's fun though and I am in the woods fulltime. 

So this is a pic of my future home in the rough. :) 

It will have to be towed to the build site. So far I know that it is free, needs a roof, and needs some type of mechanical work to get it moving. I will post more when we are closer to making it happen. 
Blessings- Crofter