Rent an RV for as Little as $1 a Day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikEXpat

Reaction score
I saw this article today and thought it might be interesting for those of us who need to do a one way cheaply. Cruise America offers these deals as well as rental car companies. There is a YouTube video at the end of this article.

Original link: http://www.moneytalksnews.com/rent-for-little-1-day-and-hit-the-highways/
Rent an RV for as Little as $1 a Day, and Hit the Highway

Summer vacation planning is well underway for many Americans, and there are few better ways to see the country than driving along U.S. highways and byways.

While most of us automatically choose to drive our own car on a road trip — another option that can save a bundle of money by serving as both transportation and lodging is the all-American recreational vehicle. RVs can be rented for cheap — sometimes as little as $1 per day — if you know where to look.

Yes, it’s true.

They’re called relocation deals. In exchange for allowing you to use the vehicle at a rock-bottom rate, RV and car companies make use of you as a cheap labor to deliver their vehicles to specified destinations.

The reason is that rental companies sometimes need to balance out their inventory — because they end up with a glut of vehicles in one area, and too few somewhere else that they are in demand. You get the screaming deal because you’re helping them get vehicles to where they are needed.

And these deals aren’t only for U.S. travel. There are similar programs in Australia and New Zealand, with some starting to pop up in Europe, which could give you a chance to see parts of the world you might not otherwise. (Bone up on driving rules in those countries, and make sure your license will be considered valid if you want to try it.)

To get one of these great bargains — instead of paying a charge of $175 and up per day for an RV, plus mileage — you have to be a be flexible both about the timing of your trip and about what places you’ll be visiting.

In the case of RVs many — but by no means all — of the rent-to-deliver deals start in the Chicago area, since that’s where many are manufactured. The actual $1 rentals are fairly rare, but there are more if you can pony up $25 per day – still a lot cheaper than the retail price.

The time frame the rental company allows for delivery of the vehicle can be as short as a few days, or sometimes as long as a few weeks. Also, the deals can pop up with just a few days notice, so you need to be prepared to jump on it.

If this sounds like an adventure you’d like to take on, check out some options: iMoova specializes in relocation deals, and Jucy often has deals of its own, as do Apollo and El Monte. All of these sites include rental options in Australia and New Zealand. In Europe, sites like Spaceships and Wicked Campers are good places to start.

Other costs to weigh

Even if you get a dollar-a-day deal, be sure to factor in other costs before pulling the trigger. Since the rental is only one-way, there will be other travel involved — either getting home from the end point, or getting out to the starting point.

Some companies renting RVs don’t care about the mileage you put on the vehicle, as long as you get it to its destination within the allotted time frame. But in other cases they may add mileage costs. That would be incentive to travel fairly directly from point A to B — and not go from Chicago to New York by way of Dallas.

Insurance is another wild card. Company policies vary, but generally they include some level of insurance embedded in the rental price with deductibles that start at about $1,000. Some companies offer supplemental policies to lower that deductible. If you want to go that route, check to see if your existing auto policy, or even your credit card, might already give you a deal.

Be sure to ask about fuel consumption. Some of the bigger RVs get as little as 6 miles to a gallon of gas, according to the Changin’ Gears RV blog, though smaller camper vans can be far more efficient. It can vary a lot, the blog notes:

RV fuel consumption is affected by vehicle weight, engine size, fuel type, driving habits, gear ratios, wind resistance, topography, and numerous other factors.
One of the great advantages of traveling by RV is that it provides relatively cheap lodging at campgrounds or RV parks — which typically charge modestly for the parking space, electrical hookups and water. Plus, RVs do come with a kitchen, so you can save money by cooking your own meals. You can have at least as many travelers as you have bunks — and the possibility of splitting the costs.

Have you ever gotten a cheap rental with a relocation deal? Let us know about the experience in the comments or on our Facebook page.

Some interesting information in there...I see the 1800RV and CruiseAmerica rentals down here on pretty much a daily basis. I never considered that those rigs could be rented 1-way, but I guess it makes sense.

But it really seems to me there ought be more incentive to the driver...not only do you need be flexible with vacation/trip timing and destination, fuel, insurance and return transportation are all on you at a minimum. I have known people who get paid to move rental cars fairly long distances, gas included, which strikes me as a bit more equitable...

For about 10 years, I delivered new motorhomes to dealers across the country. The pay was good, but you were not allowed to use any of the RV's systems, only drive it. I remedied this problem by towing my camper van behind, and pocketing the paid motel allowances, and some of the food allowances by cooking some of my own meals.

All in all, it was a good gig with decent pay, and lot's of travel. I never got stranded anywhere because my trusty camper van was always right behind me.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
For about 10 years, I delivered new motorhomes to dealers across the country.  The pay was good, but you were not allowed to use any of the RV's systems, only drive it.  I remedied this problem by towing my camper van behind, and pocketing the paid motel allowances, and some of the food allowances by cooking some of my own meals.

All in all, it was a good gig with decent pay, and lot's of travel.  I never got stranded anywhere because my trusty camper van was always right behind me.

Used to drive for an airport shuttle service years ago and spoke with someone like you.

He'd fly down, drive back and I asked him why not drive he laughed and said "I have to bring up 9 of them in a week, no time to drive back down"...(This was AZ to OR Dealers) Saw him fairly often for 6 months....

If I'm driving someone else's vehicle from a source of their choice to a destination of their choice in a time frame of their choosing, I sure as heck expect to be duly compensated.

USExplorer said:
If I'm driving someone else's vehicle from a source of their choice to a destination of their choice in a time frame of their choosing, I sure as heck expect to be duly compensated.

Yeah. I tend to agree. And if we can't use the RV as if it were a rental then what's the point? It might be an option for someone who is stranded or something. Even then I'd suggest rideshares or a cheap bus ticket.

Off Grid 24/7 said:
For about 10 years, I delivered new motorhomes to dealers across the country.  The pay was good, but you were not allowed to use any of the RV's systems, only drive it.  I remedied this problem by towing my camper van behind, and pocketing the paid motel allowances, and some of the food allowances by cooking some of my own meals.

All in all, it was a good gig with decent pay, and lot's of travel.  I never got stranded anywhere because my trusty camper van was always right behind me.

Sounds like a cool job, except for not being able to use any of the RV systems.

This also applies to truck & van rental places. I used to get Tue/Wed's off from my "real" job and to earn extra I' d work for Ryder trucks.Every Tue. they'd take me to the airport buy me a ticket to Portland or Seattle and I'd drive a 25-27 ft, bob-tail truck back to San Jose for them. They also included money for a hotel room but I'd just open up my sleeping bag in the back and pocket the extra $$.