Renogy rooftop installation using racks.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GotSmart

Reaction score
Today I got clearance from my Dr. to become active again, so I installed my panel properly.  I had previously thrown a sheet of plywood up and bolted the panel to it using the Z brackets.

I started out with a cheap set of roof racks.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Van-Ladder-...612?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae962b31c

I bought two aluminum 1 1/2 inch angle 6 foot long.  I cut curves in them with a long lip to mount under the roof rack bars. I cut them to fit.  My  panel is 2 X 4 foot, and the space between the bars is about 5 foot.

I marked the bars for where the angle will cross them, and removed them for ease of handling.  I drilled the channel to fit the panel mounting holes and the center of the bars. I drilled the bars for the bolts.

The panel was mounted to the channel, and the channel was mounted to the bottom of the bars.  The bars with panel installed was put back on top of the van.   

You can tell by the before and after pictures what a difference this makes visually.  I was able to use exclusively the power from my batteries to run my saws and drills. It is currently at 13.39v.  At no time did it drop under 12.87 under full load.

All bolts have nylock threads to keep them from backing off.

Any questions?

Attachments

• s4.jpg
    s4.jpg
    826.3 KB · Views: 78
  • s2.jpg
    s2.jpg
    759.1 KB · Views: 89
  • s1.jpg
    s1.jpg
    965.1 KB · Views: 99
Those would not post in the original post.

Attachments

• s3.jpg
    s3.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 77
  • s5.jpg
    s5.jpg
    620.1 KB · Views: 46
Much cleaner instal than the first one with the plywood. Shading the roof, either way, is a plus.
Looks good to go there. I'm jealous. Nice racks too.

The plywood gave great shade in Arizona. But it just about killed me in the wind in Kansas. (Hang on Toto) I drove around yesterday, and no more of the wind throwing me all over the place.

The racks were the cheapest I could find. Only $60! that link is current.

That looks a lot better. I can imagine it would catch a lot less wind also. The van doesn't appear to have the same squat to it - you must have unloaded some since your back there. Glad you're felling better.

I removed perhaps 100 lbs of supplies.

I think it might be the difference in angle and sunlight.

Nice job! I just came inside from measuring my own Yakima roof rack, trying to figure out how I'm going to mount my panels, and found this thread.

I wish I could use this same system, but I carry a kayak on the roof of my van, so the boat would completely eclipse one of the panels were I to mount them side-by -side. If I mount them lengthwise, there's no way I can get them between the two crossbars, as they're not 8' apart.

I was thinking I'd run aluminum channel along the sides of the solar panels (3-sided) to secure the two panels to each other, then bolt them on *top* of the crossbars with u-bolts, but it looks like angle would work just as well and probably save me some money in aluminum.

Looks nice!