Renogy panel on sale today

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grimmal

Reaction score
If anyone was thinking of buying 100 watt Renogy panels soon ,they are on sale at Amazon today for 109.00. Good for today only.

Read the specs and you will buy the Renogy.    :rolleyes:  

1/2 the weight and better specs than the solar bvd.  Greater effency ~~~  No thanks on the 3rd party seller panels. 

Call direct, and Renogy will match the price.

Cause they're built better and way more panel....And not 19v

The ones on Amazon include free shipping. I bought Renogy panels and have been Very happy with them. They are built solid and work perfect. Buying at least one more.

The main office also ships free, and they keep a record of your purchase.  :D  That is an excelent price for that panel.

400w renogy system plus the MPPT (cause they've over-volted the panels). 21-26A - $800

420w system (properly volted at 17v) with PWM. 24A - $500

Or get 2 more panels for $250 and get 40a an hour while still coming in for less money.

bardo said:
 . . . especially since the renogy is a 18.9v versus 17.0v.....that's over 1.5x the output for the same price

I don't know where the idea that this 140 watt panel will give you more power than that 140 watt panel comes from.  All 140 watt panels will produce 140 watts at standard conditions.  The ratio of volts to amps only makes a difference if you are running a PWM controller.  An MPPT controller will adjust volts:amps to maximize usable amps.

-- Spiff

The link to the Solarblvd is for a 140w panel for $122, not 100w. Too bad it's a mono because two of those on a Eco-Worthy MPPT controller would have been a sweet little portable. Where is the link to the Renogy super panel? I told someone I'd build a portable to give a talk with and if there is some that can beat what I feel is the low light advantage, I have to see it with my own eyes. I mean I thought that getting a charge while it's cloudy and even raining was pretty dang good for anything besides a Uni-solar panel. Charging in moonlight with something smaller than a bedsheet is going to be pretty special.

When it comes to excess voltage on a MPPT controller, it takes a considerable amount of excess voltage to make a big difference. I tested a panel rated at 36v in sub freezing temperatures which when suddenly exposed to sunlight jumped to nearly 41v. Once it started working and warmed itself up a bit the Voc lowered to 38v and produced a extra 3/4 of a amp on a MPPT controller. On a PWM the excess voltage on a 12v panel would be dumped like the rest of the voltage that was above the current charging voltage of the battery and have no positive effect.

The other thing to pay attention to in the test besides the relationship of excess voltage to extra power is what can happen to your controller if you are running it near its Voc limit. You can over amp a MPPT controller, it's called over paneling. Exceed its Voc limit and you will be looking for a new one on most unless they have a safety like the new Outbacks. Simply put, leave a buffer or things like cold, cloud effect and high altitude can cost you your controller.

GotSmart said:
The main office also ships free, and they keep a record of your purchase.  :D  That is an excelent price for that panel.
GotSmart, can you help me out here? I'm getting my 2005 T & C minivan prepped in stages to be ready to roll by late May. Picking it up from mechanic today, getting reflectix and bed build materials later today.

Now the solar sale pops up, one day only. I like your advice to call Renogy main office, match the price, free ship and buy direct from them. Thanks for that info.

I have not had a chance to study solar yet except to know that I need 200 watts. But can you tell me if the two panels would fit on top of the standard rack that came with my minivan? Is there room for two?

Info much appreciated as the sale is today only! Thanks.

Kathleen, I bought the Renogy Premium kit and the black panels appear at first glance to be smaller...

My thought here was that two premiums may be overall much smaller and may just fit...?
I don't know what space you have, but maybe you and a buddy could measure?

I will offer to go lay a tape on mine if you need me to???

The panels are 47 inches by 21 1/2 inches. If you are not sure about what else you need it may be cheaper to buy a complete kit. I bought the complete kit and the only thing I had to buy was fuses and silicone. Amazon has a 200 watt complete kit . For 339.99 or warehouse deal for 305.99. I bought a warehouse deal kit and the only thing wrong was the box was messed up on the outside.

One more time... ~~~ this information is two years old.

http://energyinformative.org/best-solar-panel-monocrystalline-polycrystalline-thin-film/

Monocrystalline solar panels have the highest efficiency rates since they are made out of the highest-grade silicon.

https://www.renogy.com/learn#tab_solar-faqs

There is a difference in the manufacturing technique, and as a result monocrystalline cells are more efficient. The monocrystalline cells can produce more power in a smaller space. Also, monocrystalline panels have a darker blue color, almost appearing black, and are usually higher in price due to the increased efficiency. Polycrystalline panels on the other hand are less efficient and require more space. However, the difference is size and efficiency do not impact power. A 100 Watt monocrystalline panel and a 100 Watt polycrystalline panel will both output 100 Watts, neglecting power loss in the system, but a monocrystalline panel will output 100 watts with a smaller surface area.

In certian situations, under specific temperatures and elevations the Mono panels may be more efficient.  This is rare, and miniscule.

This is depndant on specifics such as;  Purity of that batch of silicone..  Method of manufacture.  Construction of the panel.  And so on.  

Backyard testing is only accurate for that specific panel in that specific location. The next batch of panels could have a different purity of material, creating completely ddifferent results. 

That is why I say only deal with first person sellers that will stand 100% behind their products. 

It has been proven time and again that Renogy does. 

The sale price is an excelent deal on the Mono panels, and will be matched by the US Renogy outlet. (They are the ones selling on Amazon)

GotSmart said:
In certian situations, under specific temperatures and elevations the Mono panels may be more efficient.  This is rare, and miniscule.

From your first article: "[font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]Monocrystalline solar panels have the highest efficiency rates since they are made out of the highest-grade silicon[/font][font='Helvetica Neue', Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]." [/font]
 . . .
Backyard testing is only accurate for that specific panel in that specific location. The next batch of panels could have a different purity of material, creating completely ddifferent results. 

So link us to some good, controlled laboratory testing.  All I see on Renogy's site is marketing with no test results to back it up.
On different batches: If a manufacturer has good quality control the results should vary only slightly.

That is why I say only deal with first person sellers that will stand 100% behind their products.

I've not had a problem with Amazon backing up what they sell. 

It has been proven time and again that Renogy does.

Renogy does have a good track record of backing their product.

-- Spiff

Kathleen, the panels that are on sale are the earlier Renogy panels not the new more efficient Eclipse panels.

The 100w panels that are on sale are 40.5 X 26.7 X 1.4 In.

https://www.amazon.com/HQST-Watt-Po...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VTVG826GG4YP8T5ZX20A

The newer high efficiency Eclipse panels are 41 x 21 x 1 1/2 inches. I just got out the tape and measured mine.

If you just call customer service at Renogy, a CSR will help you. I got them to match Amazon price and free shipping on the two panels I ordered from them in January. I prefer buying direct from the manufacturer if I can and told them that.

If the panels won't fit on your mini van you might want to consider having a pair of the 100w panels as portables. John or any one of a number of others of us can work with you on how to wire them.

I love having my panels as portables. I was going to build stands for them but found that 2 of my 5 gallon square buckets work just as well as any stand I could make and I just stack them under another bucket for transport.

I had a 100W suitcase and wasn't fond of it. It was awkward for me to move around and the controller was outside on it so I had to be careful of wet weather. My controller is now mounted inside the van and I simply plug the panels in when needed.

galladanb said:
Kathleen, I bought the Renogy Premium kit and the black panels appear at first glance to be smaller...

My thought here was that two premiums may be overall much smaller and may just fit...?
I don't know what space you have, but maybe you and a buddy could measure?

I will offer to go lay a tape on mine if you need me to???

Yes, if you have time to do that I'd appreciate it. I just got my minivan back from the mechanic and am en route to get bed build and many other things with the help of a friend.

When you got the Renogy Premium kit was that EVERYTHING you needed, the 2 100 watt panels, controller, cables and those batteries they sell? And are your panels the Eclipse?

I have to rush off while I have the help of a friend. Thanks!!!

grimmal said:
The panels are 47 inches by 21 1/2 inches. If you are not sure about what else you need it may be cheaper to buy a complete kit. I bought the complete kit and the only thing I had to buy was fuses and silicone. Amazon has a 200 watt complete kit . For 339.99 or warehouse deal for 305.99. I bought a warehouse deal kit and the only thing wrong was the box was messed up on the outside.

Wow, I see it's not a good idea to buy something on the fly. I called Renogy and was told the complete kit would be around 900. Must be a different kit that sales person did not mention.

I have NO solar components so far, so it was the entire unit, incl batteries, cables and controller, the high quality one.

grimmal said:

Wow, I see it's not a good idea to buy something on the fly. I called Renogy and was told the complete kit would be around 900. Must be a different kit that sales person did not mention.

I have NO solar components so far, so it was the entire unit, incl batteries, cables and controller, the high quality one.
Thanks for the size info!!