removed furnace 12v need be grounded, where?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmerjosh0012

Reaction score
since it was removed 2 years ago for fear fire, due to being installed originally over shag carpet I haven't had power, when not on shore power. I just placed wire nuts over the existing wire and taped them too for safety lol, im no electrician barely know the basics.

first get a multi-meter that reads voltage. then come back to ask again

Weight said:
first get a multi-meter that reads voltage. then come back to ask again
i do own a multi meter, power only too furnace wires when plugged in on shore. this is because when i un plugged cabin battery i forgot which wires where for cabin ligthts water pump etc, i can send detailed photos of remaining wires and amps for each wire only if they are getting power while plugged into the house. i do have wires hooked up from cabin too turn over onboard generator not enough gas in the tank to run it or theres a secondary pump to run it previous owner said it wouldn't run at or below a quarter tank. this is a 1977 so it's old school tech.

I'm not sure what the issue is, and not sure what information you need.

Do you need to get the 12v converter operating again? Or do you need to install house batteries and how to ground those?

Is there a white and black wire (or red and black) in the furnace compartment that are tied off? Are you trying to get the furnace re-installed?

This is a motorhome, right?

We really need a clear idea of exactly what you are working with and what you are needing.

You pulled things apart without documenting anything first.  You now want help putting it all back together the hard way.  I think you would be best if you got a professional to fix this problem.  It might be expensive, but DIY at this point might result in an electrical fire which might cost a lot more.

What isn't working that you need to work? If I understand you correctly you disconnected a furnace that was most likely 12 volts Direct Current (DC). There should have been a main 12 volt DC power source wire coming out of a fuse block that is powered by the positive battery post and a ground going to the furnace from a negative terminal or bus bar that is connected to the negative battery post. Disconnecting those two wires (the powered wire and ground wire to the furnace) shouldn't have affected anything else normally. Disconnecting several wires from the cabin(house battery) does cause a problem. Not knowing which are powered wires and which are ground wires is definitely a problem. Every DC circuit must have 12 volts going to it through a powered wire attached to what ever needs powered and a ground that eventually is attached to the negative post of the battery. The powered 12 volt wires usually get battery power from a fuse block. The grounds normally attach to to a gang terminal, frame and eventually the negative post of the battery. If this is not the case then you most likely have a circuit that is wired incorrectly which usually results in a blown fuse or burnt wire and it will probably require a professional to check it out. Pictures would help but you still need to verify where the wires go before re attaching any.

I have power while im not plugged into shore  and i was able to find some one on here to help me thankyou.

I took the forced air furnace out of both my RVs and replaced with propane radiant heaters. I'm not an electrician so someone more knowledgeable than me may cringe at this: I taped the ends of each wire so there is no copper exposed. That was 7 years ago and it has not caused any problems.

Consider replacing that dinosaur with one or two low cost diesel heaters.