Reliable van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
VanGrrl57 said:
Okay. I'm gonna try to post some pictures. Please bear with me as I am ignorant about this sort of thing. Here's my new van. I'm also at Big Sioux Recreational Area. What do you guys think? I think I'm calling her LenaBelle. :D
Ah, I was wondering if it was the short Astro, and it is. Those are COOL, and with everything rebuilt and well maintained, that one should last you a loooong time.   ;)
Just keep an eye on your fluids, tire pressures, etc.

VanGrrl57      Very nice! said:
Okay. I'm gonna try to post some pictures. Please bear with me as I am ignorant about this sort of thing. Here's my new van. I'm also at Big Sioux Recreational Area. What do you guys think? I think I'm calling her LenaBelle. :D

20160502_092922_zpsyjq8vjch.jpg

VanGrrl57 said:

20160502_092922_zpsyjq8vjch.jpg

Nellybelles great granddaughter?

looks good

akrvbob said:
Michelle, the 5.7 350 a great engine, no doubt about that. But, the 5.3 is much stronger and will pull the mountains and tow a trailer much better than the 5.7 and still get far better MPG doing it.  

I have a 2001 Chevy Express with 5.7, my girlfriend has the 2005 5.3 Chevy Express. The 5.3 is so much better engine it's hard to describe. It's better in every way. I average 13 MPG, she averaged 17 on our 9000 mile trip to Alaska.
Bob

Just a note here on MPG.   

There are many ways to figure MPG, such as rely on the vehicle's speedometer/odometer, or use a GPS which in my opinion is far more accurate.    Also the distance traveled as well as the level the tank is filled factors into the equation.

I usually fill the tank to the first automatic click off and use the GPS for true mileage.   I average the entire trip to come up with the true MPG, not just one tank full.    If I were to use the vehicle's odometer, I might be getting 15 MPG, whereas the GPS shows 12 MPG, but a single tank full could vary from that 1 or 2 MPG as well.

I know Bob knows this as he averaged MPG on a 9K mile trip.   There are those who don't, so hopefully now they do.

My girlfriend just drove from Idaho to here and averaged 17 MPG over 1200 miles. Her 2007 Chevy Express with 5.3 is very consistent with that. On an individual fill up she'll go as low as 15 and as high as 21, but it seems to have a lifetime average of an honest 17 MPG.

Best of all it's a very strong, very reliable motor. 177,000 miles and NEVER a bit of engine problem--just oil changes, brakes and tires, that's all she ever does to it.
Bob

Latest posts