Relfectix Project with pictures

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdoverl

Reaction score
Got both rear passenger windows finished, and the portholes(or whatever their called). Nice and snug fits. After all windows are done, I’ll staple black clothes on them so I can reverse them for nighttime, or when I’m parked in a parking lot and I’m inside shopping for peace of mind.

da876763f7c2cb5c4f9bcfdff08df008.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you sleep in the front seat of that one ?????

When she first started......Paulette slept in the back of a Neon with the rear seat removed and a flat plywood sleeping platform.......feet in the trunk and head against the front seats

The drivers seat reclines almost all the way to the back. I’ve been getting great sleep in it. Plus the fronts seats have very nice cushions.

I use a pillow and then a sleeping bag as a blanket. Works great, no back pains.

I covered one side of my reflex with black Gorilla tape, not cheap but very durable. I could switch sides of the car depending on whether I wanted to cool (foil side out) or heat (black tape side out).

I’m starting to think that reflectix acts as a faraday cage, my cell signal is worse inside my car now. Gets better when I bring my phone outside the car.

Front windows done. I have the rear window to do, which I’m saving for tomorrow because it’ll be much more difficult and will require me to duct two pieces of refectix together.
ece8d11c56483831aa2b3bbec18be826.jpg

The rear window was the hardest, but it still wasn’t that bad.

ebd198ef4ff88ea10e5f6253d42d706a.jpg

I utilized painters tape to hold down the reflectix so I could trace. Plus it’s pretty windy in Craggy Wash.

7b9d4c3da8d2226a0462fc470c9d217d.jpg

Now I got it to roughly the same shape of the window. But I still had to cut away about 2 inches from the bottom and sides because the interior plastic overlaps on the inside of the rear window.

5b688d5690afd4c7fa8b19bb3864ac9a.jpg

And the finished product.

57985b58f1aa8963704d14b9343f7e77.jpg

I have a 1 inch gap at the top but I’m not worried about it. I have to use a couple pieces of painters tape to keep it sagging.

Thanks everyone. Bobs video on reflectix was super helpful on this.

Looks great, you just gave me an idea of how i was going to piece some reflects togethter for my windshild, black gorilla tape, great idea

Heavy duty clear packaging tape sticks better to Reflectix than ductape. You can put it on both sides for extra strength and it goes on invisible.

I have absolutely no idea what the purpose was, but a minivan passed me the other day, and the Reflectix (I'm assuming) was partially covered with black tape. The bizarre part was that there was about a half-inch gap between strips of tape, so it looked like bars of a cage. Both right side windows and the back.

I'll probably wonder about that for months.....

Have you noticed a difference in interior temperature?

Absolutely, though the temperature has been in the 60s and 70s. I don’t have a way to verify temps but without reflectix the windows are a magnifying glass when the sun is out. I usually keep a window open for a wind and that helps a ton also. Plan on getting a fan setup in my car

mdoverl said:
I’m starting to think that reflectix acts as a faraday cage, my cell signal is worse inside my car now. Gets better when I bring my phone outside the car.
How big of a roll did it take? I have a Rav4 so I think it will be a similar amount.

I don’t remember the dimensions, I ended up buying two rolls and I have some left over.

It was 10 dollars per roll, not expensive at all.