Registration Mess: Will They Confiscate My Rig?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VanForNow

Reaction score
In late June I renewed my South Dakota vehicle registration using the online "SDCars" website. On June 25 I received e-mail confirmation with a note saying my tags & registration card would be mailed to me.

It is now July 11, & my SD mail forwarder says the registration has not arrived. I repeatedly called the county treasurer's office, but I keep getting a recorded message saying "all lines are busy. Call back later."

I am now in Arizona. My question is: If I am stopped by the police and they see I have expired registration, will they confiscate my rig or something even worse?

Or will they accept the online e-mail confirmation as proof that my registration is current?

If you get stopped, explain in short, plain English what the situation is. Keep your hands on the wheel unless asked to do something. Be polite and try to act calm. Unless you give them grief, they will take your paperwork, go back to the cruiser, punch in your information (or call dispatch, depending on how modern their systems are), and check your reg information against the SD DMV. If you are current in their system, you should be ok. Some states (like mine), have suspended reg and SI until 30 days after the end of the state of emergency (ends 7/15 so no reg or IS required until 8/15), you might not get even stopped. I would apply for replacement tags ASAP.

There are many states where the DMV or MVD (or whatever they call it) has been closed down, or staff drastically reduced, for months because of the pandemic. For example, a friend living in New Mexico bought a new car in February and still has no plates. He has been driving around with no problems. Yet. I think law enforcement understands. Show them your correspondence. You should be fine.

Or you could do like I saw many North Carolinians do when I lived there: attach a hand made sign the says "PLATES APPLIED FOR" where your plates should be. I don't know if it worked, but a lot of people tried. :D

Ive never heard of a rig being confiscated over registration. They could give you a ticket, but I doubt that since its something youve been working on but is beyond your control. Under the unusual conditions we all live under, many departments are on minimal contact procedures. The officers dont want any more exposure than necessary, so the small things like this arent really on their list of things to do absent any other obvious issues with you.

Dont speed or drive nutty, you probably arent likely to get stopped. I dont think in many places even moderate speeding is getting much attention so long as people arent being totally crazy about it.

I've never heard of someone's car being confiscated on the road over expired registration. You might get a ticket, but even then, the fine will likely be waived if you show proof of registration before the court date.

Print out your emails/receipts and carry them with you. I doubt anyone will even cite you, given how backed up most states are, and if they do stop you, you have evidence that you didn't ignore the issue.

The absolute LAST thing most counties/states would want is lots full of cars with expired registration!

I've actually been told by police (over 20 years ago) that they would have impounded my unregistered and/or uninsured vehicle if it weren't for me having "gainful employment" at the time. They specifically said I could not continue to drive it without proper paperwork, not even a half mile back to my apartment!

The impounded vehicles don't sit in a police compound in many jurisdictions, but instead are held at tow yards racking up daily impound fees which mostly go to the tow yards (can you say kickbacks?). God forbid they find a roach in your vehicle, then it gets sold at auction with proceeds going to the police.

It's a vicious spiral from there for many low income people. They often have to decide between impound fees vs paying fines and court costs, end up losing their vehicle and/or job as a result, becoming a so called burden on society due to loss of income. Lives ruined over a couple hundred bucks not paid on time to the government.

Government for the people is a joke for many of the people!

In this era of covid, many states have extended renewal periods, but I have not heard of any waiving the need to have some form of all required documents (expired or not). They can often look up your status, so being polite and cooperative is more important than ever!

I would definitely expect an uninsured vehicle to be impounded. Have your own tow truck on they way before that happens or pull onto private property.

people who say they won't impound your vehicle for expired tags obvious don't live in California. will they impound your vehicle for expired tags, hell yes they will. basically just a Jerry describes. if you can't get it out of the tow yard in 30 days they will send it to auction. they do not mess around in California. highdesertranger

My limited experience is in Minnesota.

Lack of displaying current registration (license tabs) or not having current registration available for inspection is a 'fix-it' ticket: you pay a fine and must fix the problem.  This is currently suspended because people cannot get renewed registration or driver's licenses.

Lack of proof of insurance:  You are not allowed to continue to drive, your vehicle will be impounded and not released until you can show proof of insurance, pay a fine, pay for towing and impound fees (these are set by contract with the city).

BTW - the problem with draconian impound laws (among others) started about 30 years ago when local governments discovered that the police, rather than being a cost could be a profit generator.

I was gratefull I took care oof all the rgistration and licensing stuff last fall. Including getting my Real ID drivers license 6 months ahead of time. I would not have that Real ID if I had waited to renew my license when it was due as that was after the DMV had closed for Covid.

Sofisintown said:
Note to self: Self, stay away from California, the government is mean.
My thoughts as well.  And I so wanted to go see the redwoods.:(

highdesertranger said:
people who say they won't impound your vehicle for expired tags obvious don't live in California...

I dont.

I recall once some time ago I was stopped for something in the northern states, he said nothing about my expired registration from Az I believe. I asked him, he said "Thats Arizonas law youre violating, not our job."

At this point many states have rolled back due dates again for registrations and licence renewals due to the virus shutdowns.

I was able to renew my DL and my registration via mail last month thanks to the pandemic. They have resumed issuing speeding tickets here in Central Florida again.

Wow, consider me educated. I had no idea there were states that would impound your vehicle for expired tags.

Here in Washington, I once noticed my tags were a year overdue - I had been moving around a lot, and my snail mail hadn't kept up with me. Went to the local office, and renewed them. They didn't even charge me a late fee. Agent said - "we're just happy you bought new tags". Told me it happens pretty frequently, and he once sold new tags to someone who had been driving around with tags that were 8 years out-of-date, and had never been cited.

jacqueg said:
.... 8 years out-of-date, and had never been cited.
Biggest traffic fine I ever got was 9 days late on tags in Wyoming. No groceries that month.

AZ is pretty much shut down for motor vehicle paperwork. You can get it done if you can navigate the online process. Everything has gone online since February. You can still take a driving test in person at their building, but that is all they do now. I did a trailer title end of June, and it was truly awful. If you can put off buying anything, do.
~crofter

Can't speak on the insurance, my vehicles are registered in NH. No forced insurance unless you have to have an SR22. I have had them threaten to impound for no SSI, but usually they just give a ticket instead. YMMV.

THOSE USING NEVADA AS STATE OF RESIDENCE AND REGISTRATION

I lived in Las Vegas for 25 years, and you should be aware that if you let your insurance lapse for one minute, your registration will be suspended, and you will have to pay a fee of at least $250 , and if caught driving the fine is $200-$1000 depending on the amount of time with no insurance.

I have a brother-in law who cancelled his insurance at one company, drove 15 minutes to another company, and had to pay the $250 fee. There is no appealing the fee, as it is not a fine under the courts.

I know a lot of forum members use Nevada for residency and registration, here's the DMV page that details the fees I mentioned above
(Note, it is now one day instead of one minute, but I wouldn't risk it for one second!)

https://dmvnv.com/insurance.htm