Refrigerator ?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kellyh

Reaction score
I have seen on-line some folks have what looks like full size refigerators in there campers, ones just like you have in our house. Is that possible?

Only if you're going to be staying in parks with electrical hookups all of the time. I think that a few people with huge solar systems do manage to run them but they're an exception.

There are also propane powered units. Expensive.

I will have a small one(3.6cf) but I will have a good solar set up.

What do you have now?

I have a larger dorm that's pretty efficient, i have solar and can plug up if cloudy. A full size is an enormous draw tho if you aren't hooking up.

Ours has a frig/freezer that is electric or propane but its just not that big. We will be staying where theres electric I just didn't know if a reg size frig was too heavy and all for a camper.

I have both a Waeco fridge (small), and cooler. 12/24v and low power draw. They also come in MUCH larger sizes, with a commensurate price increase, but are well worth the money, regardless of what size unit ya purchase. ..Willy.

I have a 3-way....110/12/gas that I plucked from the wrecking yard and went thru it......100 bucks and 40 in parts......well worth it.

just driving around you would be amazed at how many campers with blown out roofs have good pickins in them!!!!

If I buy something with one of those 3 way fridges in it the first thing I do is tear the fridge out and sell it. Then I fire a 12/24 compressor fridge into it. I picked up my Waeco fridge of Craigslist for $220, in excellent condition, and it has numerous advantages over the absorption fridges. It will operate at up to a 30 deg angle, no open flame (can fuel up with it running), costs nothing to operate (after the initial expense and I'm on solar), cools down much faster, and requires near zero maintenance.

If you check through the forum threads, there are a few concerning the pros and cons of the 2 types (also Peltier junction units.. which are total crap). ..Willy.

My last two rvs have had an apartment size 2'x2' by 5' tall fridge. Lowes has them for under $500. It fit perfectly into the space where the rv fridge used to be. My current TT had the 3 way fridge but I can only use the freezer as it freezes everything I put in the bottom. I keep a dorm sized unit for my milk and condiments.

We are fulltimers in a bus conversion and run two 4 cf under counter (stacked) 110vAC refrigerator and a 12 cf 110vAC upright freezer. In the Class C (now my daughter's) we had a 3.8 cf 110vAC and a 4 cf 110vAC under counter freezer. When we were traveling short distances (up to 8 hours on the road) we simply packed frozen bottles and blue ice packs into the refrigerator and freezer. We did not open the units until we got to our location. We always plug in somewhere. Either in a park or in a generator.

Hello- im gonna be getting a Ford conversion van and I plan on buying a Porta Gaz 2.47 cu ft freezer ($749) to freeze bottles of water ill place in 2 coolers in between the food containers theoretically allowing me to double my refrigeration space so I can cook and store larger amounts of food which will be way cheaper and healthier than buying canned packaged food walmart has canned chili for $1 a piece but homemade chili made from scratch is maybe 40-50 cents a serving and no preservatives beef stew , mac n cheese, beans n ham hocks, pasta meals all kinds of stuff can be made from scratch a kept for 2-3 day's under 40 deg. so im thinking the initial cost is negligable maybe ill get 2 freezers keep them in the van and put the coolers on the roof giving me 4 refrigeraters I figure ill be right there most of the time anyways because I do my work on pc so when the bottles start thawing and the temp drops ill just switch with frozen ones always having bottles in the freezer this is all theory so ill let you guys know how the practice goes. have a good day

Having fed a family for years, the economics of a one person cookpot is hard for me to conceive. The cost of a freezer to save 50 cents at a time seems to not really make sense. You are talking at least 5 years to break even. That is not counting the cost of the storage bags, an extra freezer, and wear and tear on the power system.

Your idea is good in theory.

A single fridge with a separate freezer and only cooking up no more than 2 days meals at a time makes more sense. Space is at a premium in a van, and having a separate freezer filled with food to transport will add to your bottom line of expenses. Keeping coolers on the roof is not something you can do in every place, and if you need to move they must come in somewhere. Remember that in an accident anything not strapped down becomes a projectile.

Hey Pete maybe you should just buy a refrigerated truck and heat a small section to sleep and do your work in. :)

Get something like 12v freezer and you'll have enough for a 100+ Watt solar panel & charge controller. Can freeze a whole whack of stuff, including bottles of ice which then can be put into a separate cooler, and it's a one-time purchase; no propane needs to be bought to run it. I've done much the same with my CF-50 and have saved loads of money cuz can buy much cheaper family packs of reduced meats and other goodies. ..Willy.

I believe Willy has the most particle idea, and the one I also use. Other ideas to consider would be canning in the van and just buying new rubber seals or solar dehydration.

I think your basic idea is very sound but I would suggest starting small and seeing if that will meet your needs. One freezer and one large cooler should be all a single person needs. More importantly, it's all the room you will be able to spare in a van.

Look around and find a used car lot with an empty cargo van for sale and tell the salemsman you are looking for one to turn into a camper. Take cardboard boxes about the size of your cooler and freezer and then imagine where the bed and storage for everything else you own in the world. You'll need lots of water for cleaning after all that cooking, you'll need an office to work at and a bed.

You'll be very lucky if there is room for that, then try to double the cardboard boxes=IMPOSSIBLE.

Coolers on the roof kill your stealth and MPG. A better idea is a Hitch Haul on the back reciever hitch, but that kills your stealth and makes it hard to get in the back door.

Start small!!! Vandwelling is about MINIMALISM!!!
Bob

thanks for the advice but no im not talking about a freezer full of food im talking about a propane freezer full of frozen plastic bottles lets say said freezer holds 4 plastic jugs full of water I have 8 that I periodically exchange as they thaw out 4 for 4 theres always 4 in cooler keeping it under 40 deg. 4 in freezer this works. this is what we do in Alaska when were processing fish way out in the middle of nowhere with no electricity. trust me after spending 25 yrs working in the fishing industry I know what im talking about if you sign on with a bad company whether its commercial fishing on a boat or processing on land sometimes they rip you off when it comes to food and accomodations because by the time you get way out there your stuck and have to fulfill the contract or pay your own way back and that could cost $1200 during fishing season which is also the height of the tourist season hauling around a freezer full of food? that would be pretty freakin stupid dont you think? sorry I wasn't more clear

hey bob your in ak ask around theyll tell you the same thing out in seward when they process seafood in the summer lots of people live in tents and cars vans rvs on the beach this is what smart people out there do to double there fridge space .

I vote for 12volt compressor refrigerators over absorption or household refers. the 12v are more efficient than either one, hands down. pete I posted about your propane refer on your van thread. highdesertranger

One of those 12/24v cooler/freezers will freeze your bottles faster and colder than an absorption (propane or 2/3 way) rig AND doesn't require the additional expense of propane. ..Willy.

highdesertranger said:
I vote for 12volt compressor refrigerators over absorption or household refers. the 12v are more efficient than either one, hands down. pete I posted about your propane refer on your van thread. highdesertranger
DANG you beat me to it.. only by seconds tho! ..Willy.

and cooking a few days worth of food if you have the fridge space (like 2 coolers) with properly placed ice bottles is waaaaay more cheaper and efficient. than pulling over every now and than. LOL. yeah after 25 yrs. of. travelling the boonies of ak im sure this is effective when im fishing russian river and find a good parking spot I stay there as long as possible same thing with clam gulch and this is how I do it WOW you people in the lower 49 dont know anything about boonie living do you?