Refrigerator dying?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spaceman Spiff

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the correct place to post this but I saw a number of other refrigerator questions here, so here goes:

I have an old (1982) Norcold DE-251D refrigerator that I think is on its last legs.  It is starting to use more current, it is not holding temperature well, and the door is warped.  I am thinking that I will have to dig deep into funds and replace it.

- Current: startup used to be ~ 5 amps, now 5.7 - 5.8. Used to taper to 4.3 amps, now does not get below 5.  Duty cycle seems to be about the same.
 - Holding temperature: when temps below 40º I have to shut the frig off or interior will be below freezing after a while.  For every 10º above 40º I have to adjust temp control to keep food at the 33º - 38º optimal range.  I try to keep the refrigerator full of food and liquids.
 - The door warping seems to be getting worse.  I compensate by pinning the door closed on both top and bottom.

Comments, insights, recommendations welcome.

Thoughts!!

It's outlived it's manufacturers' expected life span by probably 20 odd years.

It's 35 years old, it's tired, it wants to die.

Before it dies on you and it will, and at the worst possible time, start looking for a replacement while you have the ability to shop around and find a good deal!

It sounds like the compressor is worn out, the freon may have leaked a bit, the temperature control is losing ability to work well, and the door is warping.

Other than all that...sure...its fine.

:p

Almost There said:
Thoughts!!

It's outlived it's manufacturers' expected life span by probably 20 odd years.

It's 35 years old, it's tired, it wants to die.

Before it dies on you and it will, and at the worst possible time, start looking for a replacement while you have the ability to shop around and find a good deal!

Good advice, Almost There!