Reflectix back window minivan

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathleen

Reaction score
Hi there. I've searched youtube for videos on how to secure reflectix to the back window of my t & c minivan. The window is slanted so gravity pulls it down. It does not stay in with the compression factor like all the other windows. 

I did a search in the forum and found no info. I want to remove the reflectix while driving and insert it while not driving. I had to make one for shiny side out and another for black felt side out. The window has a contour over the rear window wiper and it is not in the center, so I can't just reverse it.

The other issue I am dealing with is the little vent windows in the back. Anyone else have a t & c with those awful irregular vent components that make it nearly impossible to cut out and around?

I cut the reflectix to fit the larger part of the vented window, then cut out the basic shape for the vent area. But I have not yet cut it to fit exactly. I want total stealth. NO light showing from the outside at night.

When I get those darn little vent window covers cut then I need to use some kind of tape to attach them to the main window cover. Maybe electrical tape, so that I can separate them if I need to open the vents on sunny days in Southern AZ. If anyone can suggest a better tape pls let me know.

Would appreciate feedback on how to adhere the back window reflectix so it can attach and detach often, and suggestions on dealing with reflectix and the little back vent windows. Getting the contours cut so that NO light is visible has been a real pain in the you know what!!!  :dodgy:

I see tiny slivers of light showing where I have to add duct tape to the reflectix edge. A van with rectangular windows is sooooooooo easy. I can't believe how long this project has taken me.

I'm still working on the complete darkout scenario for the front curtains. Going to buy the home depot aluminum strip Kelly Doyle reveals in her Sienna curtain video. But the strip at Home Depot does not look long enough to shape to the contours of the t & c ceiling. If it fits it will be a darkout miracle!  :shy:  

Thx, Kathleen

I had an '05 T&C, I used snaps on the foil covering, 2 at the top & two on the bottom , one on each side ... just enough to hold it in place.
I used the snaps you get with the screws (or holes for screws). It worked ok...

becida said:
I had an '05 T&C, I used snaps on the foil covering, 2 at the top & two on the bottom , one on each side ... just enough to hold it in place.

Thx for your input. I will consider that technique.

Kathleen

You might try SCOTCH brand adhesive putty between the reflectix, and the window, which is easily removable/replaceable. It's available at Walmart, and just about any hardware store.....works well.

ckelly78z said:
You might try SCOTCH brand adhesive putty between the reflectix, and the window, which is easily removable/replaceable. It's available at Walmart, and just about any hardware store.....works well.
Sounds like it would be great for the reflectix side. Wonder how it would work on the black felt??? I will ask at the hardware store. Thanks!!

Kathleen

why is it that everyone seems to think that you have to put black material onto one side reflectix? That is not the only option around suitable for making window coverings that have a reflective side and a black side.

One such group of products that comes in large sizes, black polyester on one side and reflective silver polyester coating on the other side are windshield snow covers. Here is the ASIN number for one version from Amazon B07H3GXV49 . There are other versions, makes and sizes of the same type of thing with black on one side and silver on the other that are also being sold as snow covers.

Home Depot sells by online order delivered to your local store big rolls of black EVA foam insulation that has a silver metalized reflective surface on one side of it. The 2mm thick roll is $39.00, the 3mm thick roll is $49.00 but it is more than enough to do several vans at 39" wide by 732" (61') long. That means two people can share the cost and the materials from one roll. You can cut it with scissors. You can sew velcro tabs onto it, you can use glue on the EVA foam side, you can put a little fabric reinforcing patch and put snaps in it. EVA foam is a nice, soft insulating material that does not degrade or off-gas. It also deadens sound. It won't scratch your windows. You can roll it up for storage. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dekorma...e-x-61-ft-Length-200-sq-ft-roll-3ES/303636012

So please spread the word around that putting black material on the backside of Reflectix is way more labor than is needed, there are easier options around.

maki2 said:
why is it that everyone seems to think that you have to put black material onto one side reflectix? That is not the only option around suitable for making window coverings that have a reflective side and a black side.

Here is the  ASIN number for one version from Amazon   B07H3GXV49 . ... 

Home Depot sells by online order delivered to your local store big rolls of black EVA foam insulation that has a silver metalized reflective surface on one side of it. The 2mm thick roll is $39.00, the 3mm thick roll is $49.00  
So please spread the word around that putting black material on the backside of Reflectix is way more labor than is needed, there are easier options around.
You are so right. I WISH I had known re that roll of silver and black material at Home Depot. This project has been a big hassle. My windows are extremely contoured. Shutting out every bit of light with two layers has been a monster.

I can't see in the dark to drive (head injury) so I must be stealth. Thanks for the info of various sources and materials. May others see this and learn. Thanks!

Kathleen   PS Minivan window covers with the black and silver roll material would make an excellent CRVL video.

The fastest way to get the word out is for a few people to order some and then take it to the RTR events and show it off. If you have more than you need of the material no doubt you will find a person needing your excess material. It would also be a great demonstration for the WRTR event. There will be thousands of people at those events who can see it in person and then spread the word through videos. It gives them something new and helpful to others to make a video on. As to the CRVL video, maybe he will get to it....eventually....but I think he has a pretty long list of subjects waiting to be shown. However if he was touring a van and someone already had it for a window covering then it would no doubt be an interesting feature to show in the context of the van tour.

I was at a Menard's store tonight, and saw this silver one side/black the other roll back between the plumbing, and flooring department....same price.

maki2 said:
The fastest way to get the word out is for a few people to order some and then take it to the RTR events and show it off. If you have more than you need of the material no doubt you will find a person needing your excess material. It would also be a great demonstration for the WRTR event. There will be thousands of people at those events who can see it in person and then spread the word through videos. It gives them something new and helpful to others to make a video on.  As to the CRVL video, maybe he will get to it....eventually....but I think he has a pretty long list of subjects waiting to be shown.  However if he was touring a van and someone already had it for a window covering then it would no doubt be an interesting feature to show in the context of the van tour.

Yes, it would be great to show that material off at both events. Such hassle prevention. Cut one layer, not two. I also found out that you can order window covers for specific make/model vehicles online. Two companies, one has the desirable black on one side, silver on the other. For the time it has taken and the expense (bought 25 bucks worth of fabric first that did not work) it would have been worth it to me to order the perfect fit window covers. The names of the co's are listed at the Women's RTR site.

I know there is a long lineup of planned CRVL videos. Just saying, it would be REALLY HELPFUL to let people with huge contoured windows know that there is a better way than cutting two layers of fabric.  One rectangular window is a different story: Easy Peasy.

ckelly78z said:
I was at a Menard's store tonight, and saw this silver one side/black the other roll back between the plumbing, and flooring department....same price.

Sure wish I had seen that product. But I finished my window covers yesterday. No light showing anywhere from the outside. Now on to making covers for my two ice chests. Relieved that it's an easier project!

I spray painted one side of the reflectix with flat black paint.
To hold the reflectix in the sloping rear window I placed small pieces of double sided sticky Velcro around the perimeter.  First stick all of the Velcro pieces to the reflectix panel, then place it against the window to stick the other side. You don’t need much Velcro to hold it in place. You also may need to add a little extra adhesive to the strips as the Velcro is very strong.  
For the side vents panels I just oversized them by a little bit and the just hold themselves in place.

becida said:

Did you glue those snaps to the foil and the window? If so, what kind of glue?

Been snowed in my s & b all winter. Got another foot several days ago but it melted fast. Finally warm enough to work on the van again.

Thanks for the info,

kd

MA-Rider said:
I spray painted one side of the reflectix with flat black paint.
To hold the reflectix in the sloping rear window I placed small pieces of double sided sticky Velcro around the perimeter.  First stick all of the Velcro pieces to the reflectix panel, then place it against the window to stick the other side. You don’t need much Velcro to hold it in place. You also may need to add a little extra adhesive to the strips as the Velcro is very strong.  
For the side vents panels I just oversized them by a little bit and the just hold themselves in place.
Yes, the side panels all fit. It's that sloping rear window I still have not resolved. I've got a roll of thin size industrial velcro. I guess that would do the trick. But I will be moving them often so wonder if they might tear. 

I saw a Youtuber who planned to glue magnets to the window and the window covers. Asked my mechanic if that would damage my back window defroster. He did not think so. Several options...

Thanks for your info.

Kathleen

Kathleen said:
Did you glue those snaps to the foil and the window? If so, what kind of glue?

I screwed the snaps to the plastic around the window

I use dollar store silver sunshades on both front and rear windshields. The front one I use the visors to hold in place and stuff a piece of clothing around the gap at the rearview mirrow. The rear one I put up using binder clips with one the silver handle parts inserted under the edge of the black rubber seal around the top of the hatch door. I don't know how much light shows through as I am not stealth anyway. The reverse side of the sunshade is white, which keeps it from getting too gloomy inside.

you can get adhesive backed, peel and stick snaps from Sailrite.com . https://www.sailrite.com/YKK-SNAD-Clear-25mm-Adhesive-Backed-Flexible-Base-Stud They are purchased separately as the stud or the socket side. That would allow you to stick snaps onto to a piece of glass. Do follow the installation directions carefully. Of course you should not install one directly over the wiring traces for a rear window defroster.

The adhesive used on the flexible snap pads is VHB tape. It does stick firmly and could damage the wiring on the rear defroster if you tried to remove them. So never install them over a wiring trace.

If you do need to remove these adhesive backed snaps from glass, metal or other surfaces use a piece of dental floss to place against the surface then use a back and forth sawing motion gradually working your way through severing the VHB mounting tape. Then carefullly lift up and peel off the remaining tape residue from the surface. Pull and stretch that tape as you work to get it to release.

VHB tape is handy stuff, many people think it is very difficult to remove but like many things knowing the tricks of the trade makes the impossible possible. Of course if you put it onto a painted surface you may very likely end up damaging the paint job even with the dental floss method. Glass can of course be cracked or chipped so take your time and work slowly and carefully without stressing the glass.

I use velcro.to attach my reflectix shades to the windows..that way I can take them off for more light or when I'm driving