Reflectex 1/2" Air Gap?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jacksonricher

Reaction score
I have been reading, watching videos and here that Reflectex needs a 1/2" air gap to work.

Ok, how are you folks getting that 1/2" air gap in your vans? Open to ideas and pictures.

I was thinking of useing half inch PVC pipe cut half inch and glueing one open end to the wall, then other to the insulation??

Just don't bother, waste of space time and money.

Rigid foam like iso, two-part spray foam the gaps (not too deep), and a tough plastic vapor barrier, just under the inner lining

John61CT said:
Just don't bother, waste of space time and money.
John, do you have a recommendation for closing off windows permanently, and insulating?
I want to close off the bed area above the cab, but want to insulate the windows first. ??
Photos of the windows from inside are on my thread "Methuselah Remodel" at https://www.cheaprvliving.com/forums/showthread.php?tid=32239  I'm not sure if I should paint the windows so any materials used won't show from outside.

Attachments

• #2 drivers 3.4 view.jpg
    #2 drivers 3.4 view.jpg
    245.8 KB · Views: 5
Actually as the first layer behind glass, reflective mylar etc is very effective.

If you don't mind reflective shiny showing.

Best of course is preventing it from entering at all.

There's a "mirror silver" paint, not sure about putting outside though.

Might give a nice effect.

You want total blackout right?

Then continuous foam envelope, no difference between glass or sheet metal far as that goes.

John61CT said:
Then continuous foam envelope, no difference between glass or sheet metal far as that goes.
I don't want silver showing from outside.  I wonder what the cost would be to have a body shop remove the useless windows, and cit in metal, or if it's worth such an extreme fix. :s .

Not cheap.

Either paint from the inside, black or try to kind of match the color.

Or, cut coroplast to fit use and a non permanent adhesive to flush, again from the inside.

put the darkest black limo tint on the windows then you can do the refectix and it won't be silver, you won't even be able to see it. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
put the darkest black limo tint on the windows then you can do the refectix and it won't be silver, 
That could work, Ranger, but up in that "loft" it will be difficult to apply the film.  I wonder if there is a dark spray paint that would not interact with the plastic window.  Thanks for the idea.  I mention other concerns about those scary windows in my <a href="https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=32239&page=6">Methuselah Remodel thread.</a> It's at the bottom of that page right now.