Redding, CA - Most Nomad and Homeless Unfriendly Town in America?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There have been issues with illegal grow operations in the national forests in that area. Pricks will divert streams and pollute them with fertilizer while growing cannabis. In the process, they clear land for their illegal fields, and are known to set dangerous booby traps for people that might try and steal from them.

I haven't been around there since 2010, so I don't know if that's still an issue since CA has legalized. Maybe it's worse.  :huh:

In my experience, the people in that area were OK, but they sure wanted to know that I was just passing through. I was backpacking at the time and everyone I met made it real clear I should not veer off the trail in the "State of Jefferson".

Guy Smiley said:
There have been issues with illegal grow operations in the national forests in that area. Pricks will divert streams and pollute them with fertilizer while growing cannabis. In the process, they clear land for their illegal fields, and are known to set dangerous booby traps for people that might try and steal from them.

I haven't been around there since 2010, so I don't know if that's still an issue since CA has legalized. Maybe it's worse.  :huh:

In my experience, the people in that area were OK, but they sure wanted to know that I was just passing through. I was backpacking at the time and everyone I met made it real clear I should not veer off the trail in the "State of Jefferson".

I think most of the cannabis growing is near the coast where the climate is less dry.

There are some fine people in Redding for sure. And the magnitude of the numbers of homeless, especially millennial aged, attests that there is not a really hard line campaign to harass or oppress them. The area is really a magnet for drifters, having forested areas near that beautiful Sacramento river where they squat. But of course that kind of concentration brings lots of problems. And there's a fair drug problem with the needles left around waiting for some kid to contract some deadly disease from by thinking it's a play thing.

It there was this state of Jefferson, the recent fire would have burned it all down without the huge firefighting resources from across the state to contain it. I saw fire engines from every part of CA, including Camp Pendleton Marine Corps Base near the Mexican border.

The fire is probably going to result in a backlash against nomadics since the trailer that started it was near an RV campground (Brandy Cove) which has a large number of nomadics staying there. Whiskeytown Lake area is managed by the National Park Service and is (was) very popular with locals in summertime as a swimming and picnicking place. The roads around the lake are clogged with parked cars on hot weekends. There really isn't anything like it around the area closer than the coast which is something like a hundred drive through twisty hills (Hwy 299.

Been seeing a lot of van dwellers have more luck being active and driving at night (where it’s possible) and then resting during the day. Most places apparently aren’t concerned where you park in the daylight. It’s just at night that they are annoyed by it. Is this true with the people here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Too dam hot to stay inside days.

And proper stealth protocol easier at night anyway, pick places no one's around

rvwandering said:
I've deleted most of the posts dealing with politics. Discuss the issue but please leave politics out of it. Maybe take your complaints to the local officials because there isn't anything we can do about it here and bringing politics into it will just start arguments.

It's important for everyone to know about the issues and problems so discussing is encouraged.

How the hell do you discuss " issues and problems " without politics? Unless you just declare any political view you disagree with " political ".

lenny flank said:
(yawn) Here we go again ......................
Einstein made a comment about "doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results".

^^^ Indeed. How many times does one need to pee on the electric fence before learning one's lesson...?

I have deleted posts from both sides of the aisle both left and right. if you can't figure out how to post without getting political then maybe you shouldn't post. just a thought. highdesertranger

The moderators of this board have chosen a prudent course regarding inflammatory subjects. If you’d like to see that line shift a bit, as would I, start being a bit less inflammatory.

These are important topics.

Fivealive said:
There are really nice legal NF boondocking spots on Shasta lake just north of Redding.
Lake Shastina to the northwest is gorgeous and free! Lake Shasta got hit by the fire, I think....

The Dire Wolfess

Moxadox said:
Lake Shastina to the northwest is gorgeous and free!  Lake Shasta got hit by the fire, I think....
Ummm, can you be more specific? I stopped at Lake Shastina on the way south from Bend OR this past June, and the CG listed in Wright's book was closed permanently to camping. 
https://www.amazon.com/Camping-Americas-Guide-Low-Cost-Campgrounds/dp/0937877557
Here: 41.504924, -122.393060
https://www.google.com/maps/place/4...m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d41.504924!4d-122.39306