Recommendations

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GaJeepBoy

Reaction score
Looking to slowly upgrade/expand my current setup. 

Right now I have a 96ah battery in my hitch carrier on the back of my Jeep that gets charged from the alternator when it is running. It is connected to a 3 year old 750w inverter inside the back cargo area of jeep, AKA my sleeping and computer area. The inverter does have a nice LCD screen that shows volts in ac/dc as well as watts being drawn, but I'm started to question the accuracy of the readings. And after 3 years and several times of providing power after storms, it is getting loud. Even with a minimal load of only 10 watts showing the fans kick in and it is louder then my desktop sitting next to it when it powers up.

So over the next few months I want to plan on slowly replacing and upgrading my power system. Overall goal is to be able to transplant everything to my next project, which is a converted cargo trailer.

First, I want to invest in a inverter around the 1000-1550w area. Since I will most likely be sleeping in the same area as it, quiet would be nice. I do have space outside in my water proof cargo carrier if that is an option which leads to question two.

Second, need a good gauge/monitor  for battery and inverter. I have seen inverters that have built in bluetooth that you can monitor on your device. Has anybody used these and are they worth it? Otherwise a simple gauge I can just mount on a bracket somewhere that can display volts/amp left would be sufficient. Which leads up to number three..

Third, once I get it installed into the trailer, I'll be looking into adding solar panels. Now I know that between the panels and the battery(s) you need a charger controller. Will investing in a charger controller early on be the solution to the second question?

And I'm I missing anything?

So recommendations on 

1000-1500w inverters. Bigger is an option if price is comparable or better features
Monitoring device
Solar panels way down the road, which I know may change by the time I get ready to install them. Can revisit later.

for meter I recommend the "TK15 High Precision LiFePO/Lithium/Lead Acid Battery Tester Coulomb Counter 50A"
I have been using them for about 2 months and no longer have to wonder if my battery is full/empty and whether its getting charged up fully. Bought on ebay for 22 dollars for 50 amp model, they have ones that can handle higher amps.
You program your battery bank amp hours (up to 580 ah), then what it does is keep count of all amps going in/out of the battery. If you take out 40 amps today, you know tomorrow you need to put back at least 40 amps. And it will show you the volts and battery percentage left, it evens tell you how long it will take to reach empty at present amp use. It doesnt show up it in the picture but it has a bright green backlight so you can read it in the dark. This does the same thing that meters costing over 100 dollars do.
a coulometer.jpg

For solar panel get the largest panel that will fit on your roof. I have a 240 watt sharp panel, I average 12 amps when sun is overhead with my 20 amp ecoworthy mppt (100 dollars) , I seen it max out at 15 amps but only when charging my lithiums. You want a panel that will put out decent amps.  One single large panel will be easier to install.

Attachments

• a coulometer.jpg
    a coulometer.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 11
24v solar setups have advantages - this can be accomplished via specialty panels or two panels in series. I have not done it yet. There are a number of threads on this forum considering inverters. Understanding how a converter works is a good place to understand solar charging in general. For more than just a basic system the spendier controllers are worth it.

I don't think "converter" was the term you were looking for?

A good inverter is expensive and they all waste a lot of power. Computers and most peripherals can (and should) be run directly off DC with a simple and quiet voltage converter, just need to get a handle on watts consumption.

An inverter is a load device, nothing to do with the charging/storage side. Avoid combi inverter/chargers. Best is Magnum, also Victron, Outback, Samlex, ProMariner, Tripplite, Vanner are good.

A battery monitor shows voltage and SoC, most accurate is SmartGauge.

Other type counts AH in and out, can be very useful but less accurate.

Getting au fait with an inexpensive DMM and ammeters will be very helpful.

Best value solar setup IMO is Victron 75/15 for controllers, $100. Best panel for that would be higher voltage, say 35 up to 65V, and under 250w unless you find a great deal, then up to 350w or so.

Slightly less efficient, but very effective combined AH-counting BM plus solar controller is Bogart Trimetric plus up to two SC-2030. This PWM setup needs more -common lower voltage "nominal 12V" panels, maybe 18-20V, each SC handles 600-800w total panels in parallel.

Similar is ​MidNite Solar Whizbang Jr plus a compatible SC.

I would not suggest buying anything in advance unless you found a stupid good deal on a big panel/s or sale on a controller that was too good to pass up. This could come back to bite you because plans change and you will either have to sell off or be stuck with what you bought before you had a good plan running. On the other hand with the new tariff affecting solar panel prices, I might snag up a few if they were at a really good price. You can fit a lot of solar on a cargo trailer, you might want the power.

In any event you should have a good idea before you start buying.

I hear you on the inverter fan noise. Were I to get a smaller inverter it would be the Morningstar 300w PSW fanless inverter. There are several other fanless units, just know they are larger due to having a large heat sink instead of a fan.

Jimi. Yeah just getting options right now, I'm a long way off from buying and making anything final. And yeah if i can get the trailer I want I can easily get 2 panels up there and still have space for the good ole fashion black hose water heater. Maybe even extra low profile storage area if it's planned right.

jimindenver said:
I would not suggest buying anything in advance unless you found a stupid good deal on a big panel/s or sale on a controller that was too good to pass up. This could come back to bite you because plans change and you will either have to sell off or be stuck with what you bought before you had a good plan running. On the other hand with the new tariff affecting solar panel prices, I might snag up a few if they were at a really good price. You can fit a lot of solar on a cargo trailer, you might want the power.

In any event you should have a good idea before you start buying.

I hear you on the inverter fan noise. Were I to get a smaller inverter it would be the Morningstar 300w PSW fanless inverter. There are several other fanless units, just know they are larger due to having a large heat sink instead of a fan.

Say, I am on a budget but need at least a 1500 watt inverter. Would you check for me and suggest what brand pure sine wave inverter you would buy off Amazon. I want to buy all the wiring and fuses also. I found one that has it pretty much all ready to go with the fuse already put into the cable. VertaMaxx for $259. What do you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pure sine is **lots** more expensive than regular.

And bigger is also lots more expensive.

Best quality, say Magnum, is ten times that price at least.

Getting cheaper usually means they don't last long, and don't meet their published specs.

What causes you to think you need that big an inverter? Or any at all? Most small setups don't.

All that said, I've read many posts saying Bestek wasn't bad, for a cheapie brand.

You asked for recommendations? Based on my experience?
Buy a Samlex inverter. Get a much larger battery bank. Find a better way to charge that bank. If you stay with alternator charging run the largest wire you can fit from the alternator to the battery. Then get a Honda 2000i generator and a ProNauticP battery charger to plug into that generator.
Buy a Victron BMV-700 battery monitor. Learn how to program it.
Buy as many Renogy solar panels as you can fit to the roof. Then come back here to learn about solar installations.

Yes Samlex is solid, so is Tripplite, not too pricey.

Along with Magnum at the top, Vanner, Victron, MasterVolt, Sterling, Outback, ProMariner all excellent but pricey.

​Xantrex is good but terrible CS attitude.